Ioc Approves Torch Relay Logo And New Pictograms

mr.x

VANOC update: Graphic images

Vancouver Sun

Published: Monday, December 24, 2007

What: IOC approves Vanoc's new pictograms and torch relay logo.

Details: Since 2002, there have been at least two versions of the Olympic pictograms or graphic images used to depict various 2010 Winter Olympic sports. If you're wondering what a pictogram looks like, think of the stick men and women used to illustrate public bathrooms.

Although Vanoc didn't publicize it, the International Olympic Committee approved a new and final version of the pictograms two weeks ago that will be used during the Games.

Vanoc won't release the images, saying it wants to control the timing of the announcement. But you can see the most recent -- and still used -- versions on Vanoc's website, under the day-to-day competitions schedule.

In 2002, the predecessor bid committee produced a series of first nations-influenced pictograms designed by Shayne Letain and native artist Xwalacktun that became popular and were later transferred to city banners, which were subsequently sold to the public.

At the IOC executive meeting, Vanoc also received approval for its Olympic torch relay logo. The relay will start in late 2009.

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

Don't worry, I won't ask "when questions" I'll be patient like everbody else. But I'm so excited about it, though. I just can't help asking about it.

• 2 weeks later...