Milwaukee Olympics

Kenadian

Only two things come to mind when I think of Milwaukee - beer and Laverne & Shirley.

LOL same here Kendegra....I thought those two thinks before even opening this thread...  

here this can be the cities bid motto:

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.

Schemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated.

We're gonna do it!

• 1 year later...

Here are the reasons why Milwaukee can't host a Olympic Games:

1. The population is dropping

2. It does not have enough sports venues

3. It does not have a adequate football or track and field stadium!

4. It does not have light rail system

5. It does not have a large enough convention center!

The only sports venues Milwaukee currently has are:

Miller Park

Bradley Centre

J. Martin Klotsche Centre

Al McGuire Centre

US Cellular Arena

• 3 years later...
1. The population is dropping

This is blatantly false. The population is increasing by roughly 4% in the Milwaukee Metropolitan area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee–Rac...tropolitan_Area

Estimates for greater metropolitan region put it well over 2 million residents and growing.

2. It does not have enough sports venues

How many cities that have hosted the Olympics in the past HAVE had enough sports venues? Very few-- this is the whole point of giving time to the cities to prepare/build the venues and infrastructure needed before the Olympics.

3. It does not have a adequate football or track and field stadium!

There have been talks in the works for some time now to build a stadium for an MLS team-- this could be a stadium large enough for a collegiate football team and track and field events.

4. It does not have light rail system

Yes it will. The Milwaukee Connector is on track to being built. They are currently finalizing plans for it as well as a commuter rail system for the metro area. www.milwaukeeconnector.com is the site for the downtown street tram rail system and http://www.sewrpc.org/KRMonline/ is the site for the commuter rail. Also, Amtrak will very likely offer expanded high speed service between Chicago and Milwaukee as well as Milwaukee to Madison and Green Bay. This was a big selling point in the Chicago bid.

5. It does not have a large enough convention center!

There is a Phase II plan for the convention center that is "shovel-ready" and has been on the design table for quite some time... it wouldn't take much to pull the trigger on getting the current Midwest Airlines Center expanded for that purpose.

The only sports venues Milwaukee currently has are:

Miller Park

Bradley Centre

J. Martin Klotsche Centre

Al McGuire Centre

US Cellular Arena

In addition to those, there are also the following sports venues:

Valley Fields

Uihlein Park

The Milwaukee Mile

The Pettit Centre (Olympic facility; could be used for indoors events)

With some years of preparation, Milwaukee could most certainly host the Olympics. If there were mountains nearby, they could have already hosted the Winter Olympics long ago.

Before I give my opinion, I will say that I have heard awesome things about Milwaukee and truly believe that it is a fantastic city. Having said that, there is no way that I see this city hosting the Olympics in our life time. True, it may be able to pull it off in terms of a technical standpoint in about 20-30 years or so but with Chicago being right down the coast of Lake Michigan it's just not going to happen. Chicago is more well known internationally, is much larger than Milwaukee, and already has experience bidding. Milwaukee has shown asbolutely no interest at this point in bidding and even if they did the USOC is going to think of Chicago for that area of the country. Even Minneapolis will suffer with it's proximity to Chicago.

It's the equivalent of Sacramento bidding with San Francisco being close or Austin bidding with Houston and Dallas being close.

Hey...sorry to bump this thread up...I think i created this years ago...and even at that point i was kinda hesitant to Milwaukee ever hosting the Olympics. But now, ik I will NEVER see a Milwaukee Olympics on its own in my lifetime...the only way Milwaukee and Wisconsin could host an Olympics, is if Chicago includes them in one of their bids...which they did for the 2016 Olympics with the Cycling hub at Madison and Mt. Horeb. Yeah, Milwaukee has great potential..and who knows..ive always thought Milwaukee would make a great World's Fair host...seriously...it's known at the City of Festivals, hosts the World's Largest Music Festival, and has the venue for it at the waterfront....but yeah...just came to put my last thought on the subject..Milwaukee cant...unless Chicago brings them in....Chicago will be the Midwest's only chance for an Olympics and it will stay that way until Chicago hosts...which I really see happening in my lifetime...2016 just wasnt their time......im thinkin 2024 or 2028

GO CHICAGO IOC SESSION 2015!!!! :)

Whaaaaaa????? No offense to people in Milwaukee or Wisconson, but I can't see an Olympic games, winter or summer, in Milwaukee.

If that does somehow happen, however, the mascot would almost certainly be a cow. Maybe a cheese-head or something to do with cheese or dairy, but more than likely a cow.

Archived