China's Growth In International Sports

STUPID.

ADVERTISEMENTS.

Okay, that's better.

I've noticed that China is making serious inroads in all kinds of sports, not just the ones that they dominate at world and Olympic levels.

For instance, China's rising in the world rankings of sports like archery, baseball, boxing, canoeing, cycling, handball, modern pentathlon, rowing, sailing, synchronized swimming, and triathlon. Even winter sports like biathlon curling have seen Chinese athletes rise in rank.

I understand, of course, that China has a billion people and billions of dollars to not only fund teams, but make world-class stadiums and arenas and infrastructure for said sports. But I can't help wondering if with so many sports looking to China, it's truly healthy for international sport? Certainly, there are other parts of the world that can produce world-class athletes in a variety of sports with the right cash flow and training and infrastructure. Great things can come out of Central America, the Caribbean, South America, Africa, the Middle East, Central Asia, South Asia (especially India, which has a billion people and a growing economy and true democracy (unlike communist China, but that's another story) but per capita has one of the worst if not the worst sports programs in the world), Southeast Asia, and Oceania.

What do you think?

what's to debate? They have the money, the manpower, and the will to excel in all the sports. It's for anybody's taking. They aren't doing anything wrong morally. If they've excelled, then maybe they've earned it; and if other nations don't want them to dominate, then they had better put their noses to the grindstone as well. Simple?

STUPID.

I've noticed that China is making serious inroads in all kinds of sports, not just the ones that they dominate at world which has a billion people and a growing economy and true democracy (unlike communist China, but that's another story) but per capita has one of the worst if not the worst sports programs in the world), Southeast Asia, and Oceania.

Hey its better than India's record . 1.2 billion people , one sliver in Athens .

• 3 weeks later...

Archived