What Do You Think About God?

james

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only person who hasn`t shown respect has been James. Rogerio has been very respectful.

How do you want to be shown respect Kaufy? Maybe you should define respect for me.

You should try and respect other peoples opinions and points of view, without feeling the need to criticize and preach.

...and correct. ("Oh, I don't like the way you say it; it displeases me, blah-blah...) :rolleyes:

ike he's some supreme authority and like the weeds would bend to his liking; when he's nothing but a 15-year old kid....or so he claims.

...and correct. ("Oh, I don't like the way you say it; it displeases me, blah-blah...) :rolleyes:

ike he's some supreme authority and like the weeds would bend to his liking; when he's nothing but a 15-year old kid....or so he claims.

Are you ok?

Respect is a two-way street, Rogerio. I haven't seen a lot of respect from another person of faith in this discussion.

Yeah. I do think like this.

You know, I´m Christian and I really believe in God and in salvation, but I know that it´s very, very personal. So, other people may think different and I must respect that. We may not agree with a lot of things, but first we must be aware that each one has his right of opinion. And this is the kind of thoughts that every religious person should have. If I don´t respect other people, how could I expect them to respect my beliefs or at least be interested in what I believe ? That´s the point the extremists always lack.

•God/Yahweh/Allah/Zeus/Apollo/Baal… do not exist

•I don’t want to live forever or have eternal life

•When I die I’m buried or cremated and that’s it

•Why do some people feel the need to apologise for not believing god? I don’t and won’t.

•Why should I respect an opinion that totally contradicts everything I believe? I’m happy to accept that it is their opinion (and religion and theology interest me greatly) – but I don’t and won’t respect it. (Just as I wouldn’t respect the opinion of someone who said the world was flat or who suggested that the moon is made of cheese)

•Jesus may well have existed but he wasn’t born of a virgin woman

•Being an atheist does not make be less law-abiding or a drug user or socially unaware. I’m not addicted to alcohol and have a very clear understanding of the law, respect and rightness.

•Religious moderates are the beginnings of religious fundamentalists

•The world was not created 6000 years ago nor was it created in 7 days

•Religion is usually not a choice but handed down based on where you are born and your family background.

Peace and happiness to all.

•God/Yahweh/Allah/Zeus/Apollo/Baal… do not exist

•I don’t want to live forever or have eternal life

•When I die I’m buried or cremated and that’s it

•Why do some people feel the need to apologise for not believing god? I don’t and won’t.

•Why should I respect an opinion that totally contradicts everything I believe? I’m happy to accept that it is their opinion (and religion and theology interest me greatly) – but I don’t and won’t respect it. (Just as I wouldn’t respect the opinion of someone who said the world was flat or who suggested that the moon is made of cheese)

•Jesus may well have existed but he wasn’t born of a virgin woman

•Being an atheist does not make be less law-abiding or a drug user or socially unaware. I’m not addicted to alcohol and have a very clear understanding of the law, respect and rightness.

•Religious moderates are the beginnings of religious fundamentalists

•The world was not created 6000 years ago nor was it created in 7 days

•Religion is usually not a choice but handed down based on where you are born and your family background.

Peace and happiness to all.

Those were your views! But, you never gave the reasons why you supported those views of yours. If I may ask why do you view life from those angles?

I am also atheist, and James, the question can be sent back to you. Why are you Christian? If your birthplace would have been India and your parents Hindu, would you still be Christian? They are thousands upon thousands of religion all over the world, and if any one of them is true, you are royally screwed if you don't believe it.

And mostly, I don't believe in any God(s) becose they're is no more evidence supporting a God's existence that they're is evidence that Santa Claus, the Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Easter Bunny exist. Also, the Bible is, in my opinion, filled whit contradictions. And can you explain to me how the Earth can possibly be 6 000 years old while every scientific evidence that is available show that the Earth is over 4.5 billions years old?

Simply put, religions are usualy filled whit holes. not only contradicting themselfs but also contradicting science.

I am also atheist, and James, the question can be sent back to you. Why are you Christian? If your birthplace would have been India and your parents Hindu, would you still be Christian? They are thousands upon thousands of religion all over the world, and if any one of them is true, you are royally screwed if you don't believe it.

And mostly, I don't believe in any God(s) becose they're is no more evidence supporting a God's existence that they're is evidence that Santa Claus, the Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Easter Bunny exist. Also, the Bible is, in my opinion, filled whit contradictions. And can you explain to me how the Earth can possibly be 6 000 years old while every scientific evidence that is available show that the Earth is over 4.5 billions years old?

Simply put, religions are usualy filled whit holes. not only contradicting themselfs but also contradicting science.

Firstly, you lack the basic truth about the Bible and am sorry to say that to you if really you are Atheist. I became a Christian when I gave my life to Jesus Christ when I was seaching for the true God. I have came across many other religions and those different denominations which exist in the Christiandom--sorry to say some have diverted the real mportance of knowing God through Jesus Christ by some many adulterations. When I came in contact with Jesus Christ as a very young person, not what my parents thought, me but by myself searching---by then I was at the age of nine. I would read my Bible I compare verses and chapters -- Truely the were some abnormality but there are evidences the true God through Jesus Christ also was there despite human changing its faces every time. I asked God to reveal HIMSELF to me and he did not through dream or sign but through what I experienced from my test. I was surprised the way things worked out when I pray about them. My spirit was alive, there was a bond betwen me and the beautiful existence ahead. I could see myslef wanting more of his love. Not to mentioned other experiences , am from Africa and I know what am talking about. I made the choice to stay be a Christian, no matter what there is the real truth about life in it.

Secondly, Yes !My birthplace is more or less like India and my grandfather dies when I was a baby and I was told he wasn't a Christian. I come across different religion people everyday trying to tell me their religion is the best but after more scrutiny I seem to get less convinced than Christianity.

Thirdly, the reason why you don't beleive in God is that you haven't seen anything yet. I pray God to let you see what will convince you. God existence is true by evindence in the law of the universe and within us. Scientific tools cannot detect HIM only with you heart giving your spirit to him as said in the Bible can you ever get in contact with him. He is holy and just -- patiently revealing HIMSELF to those who delligently seek him aright. It's not an easy thing to do. Santan Clause is human idea so do Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Easter Bunny exist and it will remain so by people like you to be what God is all about. Don't forget human idea is different from GOD'S.

Fourthly, the contradiction in the Bible is certain due to ages ,human different held views and different narration by different people but it never take the true about GOD existence from it.

On the final note, I have never beleive the earth is only 6000 years old and the Bible has never said that either. Chronological analysis by people said so. And in creation the Bible made us to understand that the earth has be in existence before the creation started. If you are not convince ask and follow what HE said and you will find HIM,PERIOD! GOD through JESUS CHRIST is not looking for the holy and the prideful but those who will delligently seek HIM and obey HIM.

Who converted you into the sect of Christianity which you practice, James?

Nobody! I have heard people talked about christ and my parents too none of them converted me. It was my conviction that converted me.

Nobody! I have heard people talked about christ and my parents too none of them converted me. It was my conviction that converted me.

Who are those people and which sect of Christianity do you belong to?

I have all sorts of Christian friends (Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox, Jahovas etc) myself and I've never been preached by any of them to adopt their faith, see the light and whatnot. So I don't know why you feel compelled that you must do this on an Olympic forum.

I wonder when the first links about the jewish, muslim, buddhistic, hinduistic, shintoistic ... religion will follow (and keep in mind that this "church of god" is just one christian group - we will get other links of the catholic, lutheran, evangelical, witness of jehova, mormons, mennonites etc. etc., too)? And not to forget the atheistic ones!

•Why should I respect an opinion that totally contradicts everything I believe? I'm happy to accept that it is their opinion (and religion and theology interest me greatly) – but I don't and won't respect it. (Just as I wouldn't respect the opinion of someone who said the world was flat or who suggested that the moon is made of cheese)

That´s no good.

So... in your opinion respect is a one-way lane, right ?

That´s exactely how extremists behave. You´re just like them, even being atheist.

I know that´s your point of view. But acting like this just make you the same as religious extremists.

You should keep in mind that homosexuals undergo daily vilification or are harmed (or even killed) by persons, who claim to act in the name of god...

hard to believe they act in the name of god. i believe they act for their own reasons and use religion as an excuse. that is "religious extremism", something I don`t believe Rogerio supports.

Not only homosexuals CAF, it`s a very broad issue. Religious fanatics don`t care who they offend, as long as they are heard.

if he exists,.. then right now,... i think he is an asshole...

Why? Can you explain to me why you think HE is?

You should keep in mind that homosexuals undergo daily vilification or are harmed (or even killed) by persons, who claim to act in the name of god...

That´s terrible and totally unjustified. No matter what are someone´s beliefs, nobody should agree with violence.

But they´re not the only ones to harm homosexuals, I´d say that they are harmed by society in general.

That´s terrible and totally unjustified.

I know but that is exactly the reason why nobody should expect respect by homosexuals as long as they don't receive respect...

But they´re not the only ones to harm homosexuals, I´d say that they are harmed by society in general.

So much the worse that religious people often claim to act in the name of god...

Archived