Tampa 2012

NYCD 2012

Even with a flawless bid plan Tampa would never have won. Not against London, New York, Paris etc. It just doesnt have the profile to attract the IOC. I wouldnt switch on the tv as much to watch an Olympic Games in Tampa when compared to London...or even Manchester...ooo dem fighting words.

I wouldnt switch on the tv as much to watch an Olympic Games in Tampa when compared to London...or even Manchester...ooo dem fighting words.

Eh, not really fighting words. I'm pretty most people would agree with you. I strongly doubt that most Americans would even support it if it somehow won the US contest. Tampa is best known as where everyone's grandparents live out their last days.

• 7 months later...

If Tampa had constructed that 90,000-seat Olympic Stadium for use in their Olympic Bid while they already have Raymond James stadium, would it most likely have ended up a white elephant? I don't know what they were planning to do with the stadium after Tampa had hosted the Olympics.

If Tampa had constructed that 90,000-seat Olympic Stadium for use in their Olympic Bid while they already have Raymond James stadium, would it most likely have ended up a white elephant? I don't know what they were planning to do with the stadium after Tampa had hosted the Olympics.

Maybe convert it into a baseball stadium for the Rays, playing in the Thunder Dome was supposed to a short term fix until they could get a real baseball stadium built.

Maybe convert it into a baseball stadium for the Rays, playing in the Thunder Dome was supposed to a short term fix until they could get a real baseball stadium built.

I may have looked at some of the renders for the proposed stadium and I don't think it would be capable for conversion into a baseball stadium. I hope I will never end up throwing away a perfectly good Olympic Stadium.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm expecting to get some info on this bid for the bid library soon. Basically from what I do know there were venues planned across mid Forida - from Orlando into Tampa. A new 90,000 seat stadium was planned and the bid had a very LA84 kind of vibe...

At the time, there was also discussion about using some facilities in Gainesville and maybe even Jax.

Transportation infrastructure and the summer heat were the biggest concerns with the bid, if I recall.

High speed rail was supposed to be in place by 2012, but the expense later caused it to be voted down in a later election.

Another concern was that the games most likely would be in high season as well, so that the Florida tourist industry wouldn't gain as much from hosting the Olympics as many those rooms would be filled anyway.

With a bid that far spread out, Tampa stood no chance anyway, despite the many other cons the bid also had. And using venues as far away as Gainsville & Jacksonville would definitely have been a bid killer, unless it was maybe for equestrian &/or sailing. Anything else would've been ludicrous that far away from Tampa.

Meant soccer prelims, not sailing, they could've easily've done that somewhere around Tampa Bay.

Soccer prelims sounds right.

I'm not too familiar with the way facilities are usually laid out, but didn't Atlanta have facilities 1-2 hours away from the city during the '96 games? I thought they had events in Chattanooga and Athens?

I think the thought was that if high speed rail was in place, distance to facilities wouldn't really matter.

There were a lot of existing facilities in Tampa that could have been upgraded and used and in Orlando, there are now a lot of new facilities built or in the works. I think if they had gotten the bid, USF and UCF would have come out really well in the deal getting lots of new facilities. But I do think that there was a mixture of local enthusiasm for the bid that probably helped sink it.

I'm not too familiar with the way facilities are usually laid out, but didn't Atlanta have facilities 1-2 hours away from the city during the '96 games? I thought they had events in Chattanooga and Athens?

That was the soccer prelims. Usually those are outside of the host city anyway because so many stadiums are used for that event & no one city has that many stadiums in one locale.

But all the other main sports of the Olympics are held in or around the "core" of the host city, as the IOC prefers. Like Tokyo 2016 is proposing 25 of the 28 sports to be no more than 15-20 minutes from the Olympic village. Chicago 2016 is also proposing a similar compact plan.

That was the soccer prelims. Usually those are outside of the host city anyway because so many stadiums are used for that event & no one city has that many stadiums in one locale.

But all the other main sports of the Olympics are held in or around the "core" of the host city, as the IOC prefers. Like Tokyo 2016 is proposing 25 of the 28 sports to be no more than 15-20 minutes from the Olympic village. Chicago 2016 is also proposing a similar compact plan.

I thought the white water events were all held up there.

Archived