Why No Africa

I demand to know why there is no African city in competition for the Youth Olympic Games, its not far, Africa should get to host, Africa has never hosted any Olympic event, so Africa should host. The world revolves around Africa and its about damn time you white folk released that, Africa is where its at, there is no place better, I live in Rwanda and its amazing here, you should all come and see how great Africa is.

Well, Algiers did bid, but their plan was obviously not assessed as good enough. And after the news out of Algiers this morning, that's probably not a bad decision.

No other African city bid.

The games are not a charity. They are a luxury for cities with the money, facilities and ability to organise them. If an African city wants to host, it has to be able to meet these requirements first. Then, and only then, can we start talking about being fair and sharing them around. No country has the right to demand a games. They are an honour that has to be earned.

Jeez, I'm sick of being diplomatic to you Africans. The plain fact is, that apart from a handful of cities on the continent, most of the rest are horrific sh!tholes.

Edited by Sir Roltel

Well, I've been through some of your continent's "sparkling" capitals, and let me tell you, watching 80 per cent of the population walk around armed with machettes, seeing kids sniff glue in the central city main streets, and having to get through miles of shanty towns to make it to the open country, they're far from "charming".

I think its more of whether African cities want to bid or not. There has been a recent unhappiness over why Africa has host a major sporting event but if you look at it closely , how many African nations actually launched a serious bid for a major sporting event ? Besides the WC 2010 bids, Cape Town 2004 & Abuja 2014 there has been no serious African bid.

I think its more of whether African cities want to bid or not. There has been a recent unhappiness over why Africa has host a major sporting event but if you look at it closely , how many African nations actually launched a serious bid for a major sporting event ? Besides the WC 2010 bids, Cape Town 2004 & Abuja 2014 there has been no serious African bid.

Well then, that just goes to show that perhaps most African cities are realistic. They would seem to realize that they don't have it all yet to launch credible bids. Better to have no bids at all rather than some half-hearted bids which would prove to be an embarrassment in the end. Further, as in the case of the Olympics, there is a short-list which separates the chaff from the grain early on, and prevents the half-baked bids from embarrassing themselves farther.

Well, I've been through some of your continent's "sparkling" capitals, and let me tell you, watching 80 per cent of the population walk around armed with machettes, seeing kids sniff glue in the central city main streets, and having to get through miles of shanty towns to make it to the open country, they're far from "charming".

I don't want to say anything as long as somebody called for the insult. Nobody is insulting my country yet. Jeankigali, if you don't know how to put up a good post by being negritude will call for troubles. Wole Soyinka wrote...tiger tigretude, negro negritude...you better behave yourself cos I wouldn't want people to insult my country.

Sir, Roltel, Africa isn't 80 percent with people walking around with matchettes. That can never be posible anywhere. Atleast, I can speak for my country.

You are an embarrassment to African with the way you carry on in this forum, you embarrass all the good, well spoken, non-judgmental Africans, or maybe its just because you are from a former British colony, while I am from the francophonie. Your lack of respect to other posters is appalling and you need to address this if you want to become a functioning and beneficial addition to this form.

You are an embarrassment to African with the way you carry on in this forum, you embarrass all the good, well spoken, non-judgmental Africans, or maybe its just because you are from a former British colony, while I am from the francophonie. Your lack of respect to other posters is appalling and you need to address this if you want to become a functioning and beneficial addition to this form.

I have never see anything positive in your posts in the first case. You are rather judgemental here by saying maybe because am from the former British colony while your are from the francophonie than to say you are fight a course for Africa to progress. You don't seem to act right, bro. I think you like to create enemity and it's good for nobody. Am your friend saying that you should learn to be careful when treating things important.

Where are you from anyway? Rwanda? I can not live in the past and I can not listen to somebody who does. PLZ!

To quote ENTV:

""Comme on était candidat à l'organisation de la 123è session du CIO en 2011 depuis plusieurs mois, et nous avons exprimé également notre intérêt pour les Jeux de 2010, il nous a été signifié qu'on devait impérativement choisir entre les deux évènements, en application stricte de la Charte olympique", a déclaré à l'APS, le secrétaire général du COA, M. Necereddine Naidji."

" On a préféré rester en course pour l'importante réunion de la 123è session du CIO, et ce retrait appuie davantage la candidature de l'Algérie à obtenir l'organisation de cette rencontre", explique-t-on au COA. "

IE, the Algerian NOC says the IOC told them they can only bid on one event at a time, and they, the Algerians, decided to work on the 123 IOC Session rather than the YOGs.

lagos was compared to cape town...thats funny

Did anybody ever compare? I didn't see that yet. Plz, you have to point to where it was mentioned in this thread. But Cape Town is not just all the heaven. Besides, Lagos is a big city even bigger than Cape Town, PLz. Every city has its bad sides. Why do you think one cannot compare Cape Town to Lagos?

I don't want to say anything as long as somebody called for the insult. Nobody is insulting my country yet. Jeankigali, if you don't know how to put up a good post by being negritude will call for troubles. Wole Soyinka wrote...tiger tigretude, negro negritude...you better behave yourself cos I wouldn't want people to insult my country.

Sir, Roltel, Africa isn't 80 percent with people walking around with matchettes. That can never be posible anywhere. Atleast, I can speak for my country.

James, I apologise If I lost my temper a bit and posted in haste. I just lost my patience with these posts from Africans basically demanding to be handed the games on a platter for no other reason but "we want them and it's our turn". It's all about working to deserve them. That said, there is no doubt that there is far more poverty than affluence in Africa _ and seeeing people walk around with machettes is from personal experience.

I don't think he's JJ or XD. I think Jeankigali has almost thesame problem with me when I came newly to the forum but, he is a little bit concerned about sensitive issue from a wrong dimension.

From my own point of view, I would like him to continue posting in the forum afterall he opened a good thread of "Why No Africa". The most surprising thing is that he can not stand criticism.

You do know Jean is a girl's name ...

I beleive it's uni... just like Sean Jean, Wycleaf Jean, and the female's name is often common with the french.

You do know Jean is a girl's name ...

NYCD2012, in French JEAN is primarily a man's name. It's their JOHN. So, you have Jean-Paul Belmonde, Jean Marais, Jean-Pierre, etc.. (In English, it becomes a woman's name, but tehcnically, is should be Jeanne, rather than the shorter Jean.) If it's female, Jean becomes JeanNE, as in their famous actress, Jeanne Moreau. The "(n)e" at the end feminizes it. Blond (masc); blonde(fem); grand (mas), grande (fem), etc. etc.

NYCD2012, in French JEAN is primarily a man's name. It's their JOHN. So, you have Jean-Paul Belmonde, Jean Marais, Jean-Pierre, etc.. (In English, it becomes a woman's name, but tehcnically, is should be Jeanne, rather than the shorter Jean.) If it's female, Jean becomes JeanNE, as in their famous actress, Jeanne Moreau. The "(n)e" at the end feminizes it. Blond (masc); blonde(fem); grand (mas), grande (fem), etc. etc.

I did some french in school. The french vocab is more than the English with the é, à, etc. If am right the masculine and the feminine thing are not basically with the e ending thing. It does mostly with number, age, size of what is being described. In french you can say grand mere(feminine) or grand pere(masculine). la grand stylo or les grand stylos, the most noticable different there is in the quatity with definite articles of la and les.

However, I beleive the meaning depends on where the name actually comes from. In scotland it may stands for boy's name while in France for girl's name with thesame spelling.

If books are all you got, then I pity you because they teach you nothing, you go off talking about this or that when you really have no idea what you are talking about, you only think you do. Jean is a man's name, a MAN, Monsieur Baron had it completely right, Jean is a French man's name, the French form of the name John. The name comes from the Hebrew Yohanan, which went into the Latin Johanne. The name means Yahweh is Gracious and in every culture it is a names name, the closest female equivalent is Jeanne as M. Baron rightly pointed out.

In English countries the name of Jean, but there is a different pronunciation, something as an English speaker you should know, words can be spelled the same, but have different pronunciations that carry different meaning.

As I am from a Francophone country, guess which one applies. ן

If books are all you got, then I pity you because they teach you nothing, you go off talking about this or that when you really have no idea what you are talking about, you only think you do. Jean is a man's name, a MAN, Monsieur Baron had it completely right, Jean is a French man's name, the French form of the name John. The name comes from the Hebrew Yohanan, which went into the Latin Johanne. The name means Yahweh is Gracious and in every culture it is a names name, the closest female equivalent is Jeanne as M. Baron rightly pointed out.

In English countries the name of Jean, but there is a different pronunciation, something as an English speaker you should know, words can be spelled the same, but have different pronunciations that carry different meaning.

As I am from a Francophone country, guess which one applies. ן

Thank you for the correction!

But, am still wondering why you are so sad-looking. If may ask, why are you so sad about being an African?