Canada's Olympic Team

taichi

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both canadians boxers lost their semi-finals match tonight in Port of Spain

Kevin Bizier (-64kg) can still grab his Beijing ticket if he win tomorrow (the third place is enough for Olympic qualification for this category). He will fight against an american, Javier Molina

Sylvéra-Jacques Louis (-91kg) cannot get tommorow is Olympic Ticket (only the first two places secure a trip in China in this category). But Louis can still dream to Beijing with a last chance to qualify later at the Second Olympic Qualification Tournament, in Guatemala (from April 23th to april 30th)

For the Men's Water-Polo tournament :

It was the draw today in Beijing.

Canada will be in the Group A with Spain, Australia, Hungary, Montenegro and Greece

While Group B will be : Serbia, Croatia, USA, China, Italy and Germany.

Fencing

Sabre women team

They got their ticket to Beijing today in a qualification competition in Alger (Algeria)

Tomorrow, at the same tournament, two more canadians will try to qualify, Philippe Beaudry and Nicolas Mayer in the sabre individual category

No

They are missing our canoe/kayaking boats, our 1 boxer, our cycling contingent, our gymnastics contingent, our rowing contingent, and then taekwondo, weightlifting and wrestling.

We have qualified roughly 110 men and 60 women for the games. I believe we will qualify between 250 and 300 athletes when all is said and done, a much larger contingent then for Athens.

Wikipedia_List

Though this is still incomplete

This is as complete a list as I can make

Archery - Men's team

Baseball - Men's team

Boxing - Adam Trupish 69kg

Canoe/Kayaking - Slalom - K1 Men, C1 Men (provisional)

Canoe/Kayaking - Flatwater - K1 500m, K1 1000m, K2 500m, C1 500m (all men)

Cycling - Road - Men's 3 member team, Men's time trail,

Mountain Biking - Men's (2) and Women's (2)

Diving - Men's 3m and Women's 10m synchro and 2 each at 3m and 10m for men and women

Equestrian - team dressage, jumping and eventing

Field Hockey - men's team

Gymnastics - men's team, 2 women, 1 rhythmic, 2 women's trampoline and 1 men

Modern Pentathlon - 1 each

Rowing - men's 8, mens lightweight 4s, women's pairs, quad schuls women, double lightweight sculls women

Sailing - RS:X, laser, 470, star, RS:X women, laser radial, finn, 49er, tornado

Shooting - 50m Rifle Prone Men, Trap Men, 10m Air Pistol Women, Trap Women

Softball - Women's team

Swimming - Men's 4x100m free, 4x200m free, Women's 4x100m free, 4x200m free, 4x100m medley

Taekwondo - Men's 80kg, Women's 57kg and 67kg

Water Polo - men's team

Weightlifting - 3 women

Wrestling - freestyle, 60, 66, 74, 84kg men, greco - 120kg, freestyle women, 48, 55, 63, 72kg

Canada has good chances to qualify a weightlifter, a couple triathletes, 1 or 2 tennis players, 1 or 2 table tennis, 20 to 30 swimmers, 2 to 5 more rowing boats, 2-4 judoka, women's football, 2 to 4 fencers, some track and BMX cyclists, a few more boats in canoe/kayaking, about 6 badminton players, 20 to 30 in athletics and if we get lucky men's basketball.

I guess I need to update that list then

Fencing - Women's Epee, Sherraine Mackay and Women's Team Sabre, so thats 4 athletes

Canada should also qualify in Men's Epee, because there is 2 Venezuelans and 2 Americans ahead, but the Venezuelans qualify as a team and you are only allowed 1 quota per NOC, so the Americans will lose a spot

Also in Men's Foil, a Canadian in the second highest ranked person from the Americas

The US will qualify as a team in men's sabre, Venezuela will take one of the quotas, Canada should take the 2nd

Canada should also take one of the spots by ranking in women's foil

So Men's team

1 - Sabre

1 - Foil

1 - Epee

Women's team

3 - Sabre

1 - foil

1 - epee

too bad women's epee was no longer a team event.

I guess I need to update that list then

Fencing - Women's Epee, Sherraine Mackay and Women's Team Sabre, so thats 4 athletes

Canada should also qualify in Men's Epee, because there is 2 Venezuelans and 2 Americans ahead, but the Venezuelans qualify as a team and you are only allowed 1 quota per NOC, so the Americans will lose a spot

Also in Men's Foil, a Canadian in the second highest ranked person from the Americas

The US will qualify as a team in men's sabre, Venezuela will take one of the quotas, Canada should take the 2nd

Canada should also take one of the spots by ranking in women's foil

So Men's team

1 - Sabre

1 - Foil

1 - Epee

Women's team

3 - Sabre

1 - foil

1 - epee

too bad women's epee was no longer a team event.

I know. Good news (I guess :rolleyes:) is that it will be in London.

Anyway, I hope that Sherraine Schalm (formerly MacKay) will have better Olympics that in 2004... I have a friend that is a fencer and she would be absolutely ecstatic if Canada was to win a fencing medal in Beijing.

I know. Good news (I guess :rolleyes:) is that it will be in London.

Anyway, I hope that Sherraine Schalm (formerly MacKay) will have better Olympics that in 2004... I have a friend that is a fencer and she would be absolutely ecstatic if Canada was to win a fencing medal in Beijing.

Like I said previously, MacKay did have a decent Athens, the team event went well, especially since they were drawn against Hungary.

Just to give a team numbers breakdown

Sport - Women - Men - Either - total

Wrestling-5-4-0-9

Weightlifting-2-3-0-5

Water polo - 16(I guessed)-0-0-16

Volleyball 0-0-0-0*

Triathlon 0-0-0-0

Tennis 0-0-0-0

Taekwondo 1-2-0-3

Table Tennis 0-0-0-0

Swimming 4-8-0-12 (4 for each relay between freestyle and medley)

Synchronized Swimming 0-0-0-0

Shooting 2-2-0-4

Sailing 4-3-4-11 (8 boats)

Rowing 13-8-0-21 (5 boats)

Modern Pentathlon 1-1-0-0

Judo 0-0-0-0

Handball 0-0-0-0*

Gymnastics 7-5-0-11

Football 0-0-0-0

Field Hockey 16-0-0-0

Fencing 0-4-0-4

Equestrian 0-0-0-12 (I know if I really wanted to find the sexes I could, I think its 7-5)

Diving 5-4-0-9 (that is the number of quotas we have)

Cycling 5-2-0-7

Canoe/kayaking 6-0-0-6 (one spot is provisional)

Boxing 1-0-0-1

Basketball 0-0-0-0

Baseball 24-0-0-24

Badminton 0-0-0-0

Athletics 0-0-0-0

Archery 3-0-0-3

So grand total is 189 athletes, give or take.

Like I said previously, MacKay did have a decent Athens, the team event went well, especially since they were drawn against Hungary.

But she did lose in the first round of her individual event against an opponent that she usually had no trouble defeating. Oh, and she apparently blamed herself for the team's semi-final loss. It aparently took her quite a while to emotionally recover from Athens.

Anyway, on a other front, it appears that Canada qualified two mens for Olympic weightlifting, adding to the three womens we already qualified. So that would make five weightlifters going to Beijing, compared to two in Athens... Just to let you guys know, tough, those results aren't 100% official yet.

Pan-Am Weightlifting Championships.

Men's ranking (excluding previously qualified Cuba, Colombia and Venezuela)

Two athletes qualified

1. United States of America

2. Canada

One athlete qualified

3. Brazil

4. Ecuador

5. Argentina

Women's ranking (excluding previously qualified Colombia, United States of America, Venezuela, Canada and Mexico)

One athlete qualified

1. Dominican Republic

2. Ecuador

3. Puerto Rico

4. Chile

Again, these results are unconfirmed.

The Badminton rank is coming out on May first and Canada is screwed, last time we had 4 singles and 3 pairs, this time we probably only have 2 singles and no pairs

Men’s

1. China

2. Malaysia

3. China

4. China

5. Denmark

6. Indonesia

7. Indonesia

8. Denmark

9. Korea

10. Korea

11. Thailand

12. Poland

13. Malaysia

14. Singapore

15. Japan

16. Hong Kong

17. India

18. Germany

19. Vietnam

20. Canada

21. Great Britain

22. Netherlands

23. Czech Republic

24. New Zealand

25. Ireland

26. Spain

27. Taipei

28. Ukraine

29. Lithuania

30. Guatemala

31. France

32. Portugal

33. Russia

34. Australia

35. Algeria

36. Austria

37. Sweden

38. Sri Lanka

Women’s

1. China

2. China

3. China

4. Hong Kong

5. France

6. Denmark

7. Germany

8. Malaysia

9. Korea

10. Hong Kong

11. Japan

12. Germany

13. Taipei

14. Great Britain

15. Germany

16. Taipei

17. Netherlands

18. Canada

19. Indonesia

20. Russia

21. India

22. Ukraine

23. Singapore

24. Thailand

25. Sweden

26. Finland

27. Italy

28. Estonia

29. Peru

30. Switzerland

31. New Zealand

32. Portugal

33. Iceland

34. Slovenia

35. United States

36. Austria

37. Vietnam

38. Mauritius

Men’s Doubles

1. Indonesia

2. China

3. Malaysia

4. Korea

5. Malaysia

6. Indonesia

7. Denmark

8. China

9. Korea

10. Japan

11. Japan

12. Hong Kong

13. United States

14. Germany

15. Australia

16. South Africa

Women’s Doubles

1. China

2. China

3. China

4. Korea

5. Taipei

6. Japan

7. Great Britain

8. Indonesia

9. Malaysia

10. Japan

11. Singapore

12. Korea

13. Denmark

14. United States

15. New Zealand

16. South Africa

Mixed Doubles

1. Indonesia

2. China

3. China

4. Indonesia

5. Great Britain

6. Thailand

7. Great Britain

8. Denmark

9. Korea

10. Korea

11. Poland

12. Germany

13. Singapore

14. United States

15. New Zealand

16. Seychelles

Just a small precision, all the Equestrian events are open, and I doubt the exact team composition have been determined yet, so we can't say the gender of the athletes yet.

Anyway, here are the spots we are likely to get or that we may get (I will exclude Athletic and Swimming).

Archery: possibly to qualify one female athlete at a last-chance qualifier (5 spots available). Chances: average.

Badminton: Canada is all but assured a place in both men's and women's single. Men's double is unlikely, we are in a Über-tight race against the USA for the America's spot in Women's doubles and, unless something amazing happens, we can forget about mixed doubles.

Basketball: Men's team can still qualify. Likehood: medium-low.

Boxing:The outlook is bleak. Very bleak (both literally and figuratively).

Canoeing:Likely a couple of spots in both flatwater (women's K1-500m, men's C1-1000m are out best bet) and slalom (both men's C2 and women's K1 are within our gasp).

Cycling:We will have at least 2 athletes in the women's mass start, and, if we are lucky, that number could climb to three and we might be able to get a time-trial berth. In BMX, we should have no more that one men's and one women's berth.

Fencing: Probably 4-8 athletes, including our women's sabre team (that one is thanks to the Americans).

Football:Baring a disaster (a.k.a. losing to Mexico, which is what happened four years ago), our women's team is in.

Field Hockey:A slim chance for the women's to qualify. If they somehow do it, it will be thanks to home-field advantage. :P

Judo: I would think that Canada's team will sit between 6 and 9 athletes. Anyway, we will know for sure by the end of May.

Modern Pentathlon: Kara Grant could very well get Canada a second berth in the women's event (via the world ranking).

Rowing: Only one event left to qualify Canadian athletes. The boat that is the most likely to get in should be the women's eight.

Sailing: The only class that still hasn't finished qualification is the Star class, and only 4 more athletes will qualify, so I guess the chances aren't that great for Canada. But still, Canada already has pretty good Sailing team for Beijing.

Synchronized Swimming: We should qualify a team and a duet, but we will have no room for mistake, whit only 3 berth left for the team event and Spain and Japan yet to have qualified.

Table Tennis: Could be anywhere from two to six. Whit a bit of luck, we could be North America's representative in the team event.

Tennis: I would say our best bets are the men's single and double event.

Triathlon: Should be between four and six.

Volleyball: Probably one or two Beach Volleyball team.

Wrestling: I think most of the Canadian wrestling team is defined, but we might qualify a couple more athletes.

I just found some Judo qualification

Canada has qualified so far in

Men's 60kg

Men's 66kg

Men's 73kg

Men's 81kg

Men's 100kg

Women's 52kg

with still possible qualification in women's 48, 57, 63, 70, 78 and 78kg

I guess its a cumulative process and so far the men's and one of the women's categories have been decided

Rowing: Only one event left to qualify Canadian athletes. The boat that is the most likely to get in should be the women's eight.

I would say the M4x would have a pretty good chance, 14th, and 13 qualify, a good showing should give them one of the two spots, Canada did not have a lot of athletes at the championships last year because of injury

Canada finished just outside of qualifying for the men's pairs and should pick up that spot, they were medalist in 2006.

Canada finished 14th in men's fours, that is another good possiblity

Canada finished 12th in lightweight double sculls, so that is also another possibility

If Canada qualifies under 7 boats I would be shocked, Women's 8, Men's lightweight double sculls and men's pairs are all very good possibilities and men's fours and quad sculls is still a good shot.

As for canoe/kayaking

C1 1000m, C2 500m and 1000m are good chances once the C4 boat is broken up for the americas competition

K1 and K4 500m are also decent

and then K4 for the men

The championships are in Montreal so hopefully that helps.

I will watch very intensely next week the first stage of the SWATCH-FIBV Beach Volleyball World Tour which will be held in Adelaide

The team of Sarah Maxwell/Marie-Andrée Lessard and the one of Danna Cooke/Annie Martin will compete despite their financial problem.

They don't have presently enough points to be in the list of the 24 who will go to Beijing, but few of the teams in front of them will not participate in Adelaide, so they have the chance to maybe climb few rank in the standing if they earned some precious points.

Both men's team will also be there in Adelaide.

As for canoe/kayaking

The championships are in Montreal.

I will probably be involved as a volunter.

I sent them an email. No answer yet (maybe to early) :(

I got the confirmation for the Swimming Trial at the beginning of April. I will be affected to the logistic team.

Just a small precision, all the Equestrian events are open, and I doubt the exact team composition have been determined yet, so we can't say the gender of the athletes yet.

I am well aware that equestrian is open, and that is why the 12 spots were put under either, as in either sex. Also are equestrian national teams are pretty much set, so it can be known

Jumping

Jill Henselwood

Eric Lamaze

Ian Millar

plus one other

Dressage

Tom Dvorak

Diane Chreece

Andrea Dresee

Eventing

Kyle Carter

Sandra Donnelly

Waylon Roberts

Michael Winter

plus on other

as you can see 4 ladies and 6 men. I believe the eventing alternate is female, I just can't remember the name, that is why I put 7 men and 5 women.

Sailing: The only class that still hasn't finished qualification is the Star class, and only 4 more athletes will qualify, so I guess the chances aren't that great for Canada. But still, Canada already has pretty good Sailing team for Beijing.

We medaled in Star last time and Ross MacDonald is back at it. I see no reason that would not be a good chance, despite stiff competition, success breeds success and the sailing team has been ugly successful in getting spots to the games.

Canada has had some more qualifiers

Men's Epee - Igor Tikhomirov

Men's Foil - Joshua McGuire

Women's Foil - Luan Jujie

so only Men's sabre left and hopefully can get that at the qualifying tournament in April.

So roughly 130 men and 70 women have qualified. We are almost at the 220ish we sent to Athens.

Interesting facts: Igor Tikhomirov and Luan Jujie both won Olympic medals in the 80's, before they became Canadians. Igor Tikhomirov won bronze whit the USSR men's épée team at the 1988 games, and won a bronze medal for Canada at the individual épée competition at the 2006 world championships. Luan Jujie won gold in the women's foil at the 1984 games and is apparently a bit of an icon in China. She will be 50 (!!!) during the Beijing games. She already competed at one Olympics for Canada, at the Sydney games.

Remaining Sports and their possibilities

Archery - poor

Athletics - obvious

Badminton - obvious for singles, very poor for others

Basketball - lukewarm

Boxing - mostly poor, but 1 to 2 more is not unexpected

Canoe/Kayaking - excellent

Cycling - excellent

Fencing - fair to good

Field Hockey - poor, though in the easiest of the 3 groups

Football - good

Judo - good to excellent

Modern Pentathlon - fair

Rowing - excellent

Sailing - fair

Swimming - obvious

Synchronized Swimming - good

Table Tennis - fair

Tennis - doubles is a bit obvious, singles not so much

Triathlon - excellent

it would be really weird if Canada doesn't get in fro synchro, though we have consistently finished higher then Italy and had a very young team in Melbourne.

Maybe one other canadian boxer will join Adam Trupish in Beijing.

I was eating quietly in a chinese restaurant near my home tonight when a guy came seat at the next table, arriving with a bag identified Panam Games Team Canada.

Too curious, I asked him who he was. He presented himself as the technical director of the Canadian Boxing federation.

I then spoke with him for several minutes, indicating that via Cosport I obtained tickets for the two sessions of finals in Beijing, but unfortunately I could only attend one (sunday afternoon) fault a scheduling conflict (with Athletics the saturday night).

He said that another canadian is almost guaranteed to be qualified for the games. Unfortunately I did not take note of the name he gave me. But this was not one of the two Quebecers who reach the semifinals two weeks ago in a tournament in Port of Spain.

He also told me that nobody at the federation expect a medal at Beijing.