Canada's Olympic Team

taichi

During the thirty minutes I take to complete my recent post, I saw that faster was faster then me.

Our two scenario seems a little bit different.

Mine is more in detail.

And concerning the Kenya hockey thing, I said that without being serious.

I'm perfectly aware of the present world ranking.

But you have too agree that Cuba have a much bigger history then Canada in volleyball :

Montreal 1976 Cuba : Bronze Medal (men)

Barcelone 1992 Cuba : Gold Medal (women)

Atlanta 1996 Cuba : Gold Medal (women)

Sydney 2000 Cuba : Gold Medal (women)

Athens 2004 Cuba : Bronze Medal (women)

I thing Canada will never be able to came close to that.

After Boxing, volleyball seems to be maybe their second best sports

Reason why I wrote (with humor) about today's victory that it was a huge surprise as is Kenya beat us in hockey.

In regards to women yes, but not men. Currently Canada and Cuba are fairly evenly matched in men's volleyball. In women's its no contest.

And also my general qualification tournament information is perfectly accurate. Tournament 3 and the Asian Qualification are the same thing, and mine just has the specifics of where each continent has a place.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you do, don't forget baseball for the Cubans, a national passion. The men's national volleyball team, particularly in the 80s and early 90s, held their own very well significantly, just as much as the women still do. Remember Joel Despange?

I gotta say that I hope the Canadians pull through and get that top spot out of their group, or the US does the same. What is the makeup of the Canadians like their ages and their senior international experience? The one notable player I remember the most from the Canadian volleyball team is Randy Gingera from Barcelona 1992. He and his teammates finished 9th then, and it isn't like the Canadians have played a lot of significant international volleyball like the World League in recent years.

Meanwhile Venezuela shockingly qualified for Beijing over Argentina in Formosa, Argentina.

I hope the Canadian men's basketball team will qualify out of Athens from the OQT; the women failed to even get into that in the Americas Tournament in Valdivia, Chile.

Over in Africa, it will be among Algeria, Egypt, Tunisia, and possibly, South Africa

Canada just defeat Cuba less than a minute ago (I watched it live on the web)

Where did you watch this?

Meanwhile Venezuela shockingly qualified for Beijing over Argentina in Formosa, Argentina.

Venezuela's Women's Volleyball team did the same thing, beating Peru in 5 sets.

Meanwhile, in Cycling, Canada have earned 4 quotas in Mountain Biking: two (out of a possible three) quotas in the men's X-country and two (full quota) in the women's X-country.

Canada will be lucky to finish in the top 6 in the basketball qualifier.

My guess would be

1. Greece

2. Croatia

3. Germany

4. Puerto Rico

5. Brazil

6. Slovenia

7. Canada

8. Lebanon

9. New Zealand

10. Cameroon

11. Korea

12. Cape Verde

Where did you watch this?

Semifinal game against Puerto Rico start in few minutes

Winner will afront USA who won earlier their semifinal game against Cuba

Here's a copy of the webpage where I will catch the game :

Canada and Puerto Rico battle a spot for the Gold Medal Game

Caguas, Puerto Rico - Canada and host Puerto Rico will face off on Thursday, January 10 in the Semifinals Game of the NORCECA Men’s Volleyball Olympic Qualifier, and it will be streamed LIVE! at MediaSports (www.mediasports.tv).

Canada was unbeaten in the First Round, while Puerto Rico just survived a breath-taking five set game in the Quartefinals against Mexico. The winner of the match will advance to the finals and play for the only spot available to the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

Dallas Soonias and Frederic Winters lead the Northamerican team as their top scorers, while Puerto Rico has in their squad the Best Scorer of the 2006 World Championship and of the 2007 FIVB World Cup, Héctor Soto.

Sell out crowd is expected at Héctor Solá Bezáres Coliseum in Caguas, Puerto Rico, and you can be there too through MediaSports, just registering at (www.mediasports.tv) and then logging in. The game starts at 8:00 pm EST (Puerto Rico Time). The stream can be watched in PC’s, laptops, PDA’s and mobile devices with access to the internet.

January 10, 2008 – PUR vs CAN

8:00 pm AST (Puerto Rico Time)

7:00 pm EST (North America)

12:00 am GMT (Europe)-January 11, 2008

We lost in straight sets. Too bad.

Oh well, lets hope we can at least rebound and beat Cuba again in the bronze medal match.

That's too bad for Canada.

Hopefully they'll have a second chance in the repcharge tournaments, but that's an even greater hill to climb than out of the North American region. The USA will surely win over Puerto Rico.

On to basketball, I agree Canada will have it rather difficult to make it into Beijing via Athens. But as with anyOlympics, surprises can emerge. Steve Nash doesn't owe Canada any thing else, including national team duty, since he has more than proved it himself; his place in Canadian basketball is more than secure. I would not be surprised if he says no to Canada Basketball, though his (and that of Jamaal Magloire's) presence for Canada could deepen their talent level. Right now, I'm just more concerned to see if the young Canadians mesh well as they get more international expirence and become stronger. Hopefully Andy Rautins recovers nicely from his torn ACL.

Cuba and Puerto Rico are ranked higher than us, there is only 2 more NA spots, for them, they will go to Cuba and Puerto Rico. Just like Canada finished 2nd in the womens, but the Dominican is the last NA potential qualifier because they are highest ranked.

For those that are interested, the score of the Puerto-Rica/Canada game was 41-39 (!!!), 25-21, 25-19.

Honestly, thought, loosing the first set must have been a huge momentum killer. I mean, losing a set even thought you scored 39 points... It got to hurt...

Oh, Faster, nobody knows how FIVB will allocate the quotas for the World Olympic Qualification Tournaments, it is only assumed that it will be via the world ranking.

Oh, Faster, nobody knows how FIVB will allocate the quotas for the World Olympic Qualification Tournaments, it is only assumed that it will be via the world ranking.

Here is how Rei called it in the other 'Qualifying' thread. "To take a quick look at the updated Volley qualifying results. (from the FIVB site)

MEN

1. China (host country)

2. Brazil (1st World Cup)

3. Russia (2nd World Cup)

4. Bulgaria (3rd World Cup)

5. COQT - Africa (probably Tunisia)

6. *COQT - Asia * (probably Japan)

7. COQT - Europe (I'd say Spain)

8. USA - Norceca

9. Venezuela - South America

10. WOQT - in Germany

11. *WOQT - in Japan

12. WOQT - in Portugal

So the final 3 qualifying tournaments in Germany, Japan and Portugal might yet allow the likes of the Canadian, Cuba, Serbia, Italy, Polish, Puerto Rican and Dutch men to get in. I'm surprised France is not a factor this year.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

All was explained in detail in this thread few days ago

look the post #24. you even have the date of the draw

Edited by Chateau Petrus

All was explained in detail in this thread few days ago

look the post #24. you even have the date of the draw

3 best ranked teams from Europe, 2 from Norceca, 1 from South America, 1 from Africa, 2 from Asia (Indonesia, Chinese Taipei)

The thing is, they don't say how they will select the "top teams".

3 best ranked teams from Europe, 2 from Norceca, 1 from South America, 1 from Africa, 2 from Asia (Indonesia, Chinese Taipei)

The thing is, they don't say how they will select the "top teams".

From the rankings, exactly like they did for the women's tournament. FIVB has already said that it will be by ranking. Unless Canada can beat Cuba and the next rankings come out before the decision, Canada has no chance.

With the US claiming spot#6, here is how the rest of the qualifyings are grouped and will be played out: (My predictions are in bold.)

EUROPE - CEV - Finals on Sunday.

January 7-13, Izmir, Turkey

Teams: Spain, Italy, Poland, Nederland, Turkey, Serbia, Germany, Finland

AFRICA - CAVB

February 1-10, Johannesburg, South Africa

Teams: Algeria, Botswana, Cameroon, Gabon, Guinea-Conakry, Egypt, Kenya, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Liberia, Rwanda, Seychelles, South Africa or Tunisia, Uganda, Zimbabwe

ASIA - AVC *

May 31-Jun. 8, Tokyo, Japan

Teams: Japan or Australia, Korea, Iran, Thailand

WORLD OLYMPIC QUALIFICATION TOURNAMENTS¶

Tournaments in Germany, Portugal, Japan

• May 23-25, Dusseldorf, Germany 4 teams: Germany + 3 teams decided by drawing of lots

• May 30 - June 1, Espinho, Portugal 4 teams: Portugal + 3 teams decided by drawing of lots

• May 31 - June 8, Tokyo, Japan 8 teams: Japan + 4 Asian teams best ranked in the Asian Continental Championship (Australia, Korea, Iran, Thailand) + 3 teams decided by drawing of lots.

Drawing of lots: 3 best ranked teams from Europe (Serbia, Holland, Finland) , 2 from Norceca (Cuba & Puerto Rico), 1 from South America (Argentina), 1 from Africa (maybe Egypt), 2 from Asia (Indonesia, Chinese Taipei). The drawing of lots will be conducted in February 2008 in Japan, at the end of all Continental Olympic Qualification Tournaments.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

For Canada

Next possible passport for Beijing :

19 to 24 february

Women's Water-Polo Qualification Tournament

Trieste, Italy

Canada have very good chance to qualify. But for the Games I predict for them a sixth or fifth place.

Ann Dow who lead the team for a bronze medal at the 2005 FINA World Championship don't play anymore.

7 to 15 march

Baseball Qualification Tournament (three last spots available)

Taiwan

A battle between Canada, Australia, Korea, Mexico, Spain, South Africa, Taiwan and Great Britain

Canada will have difficulty to grab one of the three spot because all of our quality players are drafted by MLB teams and they will be at that time busy at the spring training camp.

Korea, Taiwan and Australia are my prediction for winning a ticket for Beijing (but I'm hoping for our team)

Just to give you an idea, here's a list of some canadian player playing now in MLB :

Russel Martin (Los Angeles Dodgers)

Eric Gagné * (Milwaukee Brewers)

Erik Bedard (Baltimore Orioles)

Justin Morneau (Minnesota Twins)

Jeff Francis (Colorado Rockies)

Matt Stairs (Toronto Blue Jays)

Mark Teahen (Kansas City Royals)

But, our all time greatest player was without a doubt Larry Walker (and oldest among us maybe remembered Chicago Cubs pitcher Ferguson Jenkins)

( the * after Eric Gagné name is because of the Mitchell report :lol: )

Edited by Chateau Petrus

Excuse me for my ignorance? Does the CBC have a show pertaining to Canada's pursuit in Beijing with a weekly show that updates about the prospective qualifying teams and athletes?

No

CBC main focus is more on winter sports

CBC will probably start to talk about Beijing 3 or 4 months before the games

No

CBC main focus is more on winter sports

CBC will probably start to talk about Beijing 3 or 4 months before the games

CBC has been showing commercials and has already sent Ron McLean to Beijing last summer.

CBC gives pretty equal opportunity to summer and winter sports, when the summer sports are running, CBC shows them, when winter sports are running, CBC shows them.

CBC has been showing commercials and has already sent Ron McLean to Beijing last summer.

CBC gives pretty equal opportunity to summer and winter sports, when the summer sports are running, CBC shows them, when winter sports are running, CBC shows them.

I completelly agree with that.

For this period of the year, we only have coverage of alpine ski, bobsleigh, figure skating, etc...

But, when it will be the season, we will see most of the summers sports.

Maybe, what I wrote was not clear and misunderstood.

Durban ask if we have presently a weekly show about the road for Beijing for the canadian athletes.

What I meant with my previous post was :

Response is no, because at this thime of the year, the main focus is more on winter sports. They will talk about summer sports later this year when it will be the start of the appropriate season. So if they planned a weekly show about Beijing, it will be probably be more in few months.

Sorry if I was not explicite on the first time.

And yes, I saw the commercial for Beijing (on both CBC network, french and english), but that's not what I call a weekly show about Canada's pursuit in Beijing as request by Durban

And to return at the initial question of this thread.

Another opportunity for Canada for a ticket for Beijing will be the Women's Football Olympic Qualification Tournament for the CONCACAF zone wich will be held at Chihuahua Mexico from 2 to 13th of april.

CONCACAF : Zone including North America, Central America

Canada have very good chance to grab one of the two spots available.

Canada is presently ranked #9 for the world by FIFA, and #2 in their zone (CONCACAF) (just behind USA)

Not the same situation for men with #56 for the world and #4 in their zone (just behind Honduras)

This tournament will involve Canada, Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago.

Two groups of three. The top two finishers of each group go to semi-final games (1A-2B) (1B-2A). Both winners of those semi-final games will qualify for Beijing.

For the others zones, some like UEFA (Europe) have allready their final selection choosen

Country allready confirm for the Olympic Tournament :

China (host country)

Germany

Norway

Sweeden

Japan

Korea PRK

Argentina

Yet to come :

For CAF zone (Africa) : a tournament with 4 teams. Winner go to Beijing and runner-up will play against Brazil in a playoff match for another ticket for Beijing

For OFC zone (Oceania) : 2 playoffs matches involving two teams, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea, held the 8th and 12th of march. Winner go to Beijing

That will complete the list of 12 teams for the Olympic Tournament

• 2 weeks later...

Other possibility for Canada to grab a ticket for Beijing.

Here's the full article :

Greece joins Brazil in Group A for Olympic basketball qualifier

By The Associated Press

January 31, 2008

Greece, the host team, was drawn into a group with Brazil and Lebanon on Thursday for the Olympic qualifier that will determine the final three teams in the Beijing field.

The 12-team tournament will be held from July 14-20 in Athens and send three nations to join the nine that have already qualified automatically for the Olympics.

Group B features Germany, New Zealand and Cape Verde. Canada, Slovenia and Korea were drawn into Group C; and Croatia, Puerto Rico and Cameroon comprise Group D.

The top two teams from each group advance to the quarterfinals. The winners of the two semifinal games gain Olympic berths, while the losers will play for the final spot.

Greece, which beat the United States en route to a runner-up finish in the 2006 world championships, is perhaps the strongest team in the field. Germany, featuring NBA MVP Dirk Nowitzki, Croatia and Slovenia also should challenge for a spot.

China qualified for Beijing as the Olympic host, and the United States, Spain, Russia, Argentina, Lithuania, Australia, Angola and Iran also have secured berths.

Updated on Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 5:40 pm, EST

More details about the qualifying tournament taken from the Canadian Basketball federation website :

CANADA DRAWS SLOVENIA AND KOREA IN FIBA OLYMPIC QUALIFYING TOURNAMENT FOR MEN

Last Updated: January 31, 2008

(Toronto, ON) Canada’s senior men’s national basketball team has drawn Slovenia and Korea in their group for this summer’s FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Athens, Greece from July 14-20. The top three finishers from the qualifier will earn the right to compete in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing, China, August 9-24.

The groups for the tournament are as follows:

Group A: Brazil, Greece and Lebanon

Group B: Cape Verde, Germany and New Zealand

Group C: Canada, Korea and Slovenia

Group D: Cameroon, Croatia and Puerto Rico

The teams placed 1st and 2nd in each group will advance to the Quarter-Finals; the teams placed 3rd in each group will be eliminated. Canada’s possible cross-over opponents are the countries from group C: Cameroon, Croatia and Puerto Rico.

“I like our draw,” said Men’s National Team Coach Leo Rautins. “We’re playing in Greece, so anytime you can stay away from them it’s a good thing.”

Still, Rautins wasn’t looking beyond Canada’s first round opponents. “Korea is a very tough team with a 7”4’ centre and they are a tremendous three-point shooting team. They can definitely spread the court out.

“Slovenia as well, everyone is familiar with Rasho Nesterovic of the Raptors, but they have four other players in the NBA and they’re certainly a team that we have to be concerned about,” said Rautins. “They’re a very tough team. There are no easy games, but we are very optimistic about our team’s chances,” concluded the coach.

The nucleus of the senior men’s national team that finished fifth at last summer’s FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas, Nevada is committed to returning for the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament, with Rautins adding that others, including Miami Heat forward Joel Anthony of the NBA, will vie for a spot on the team as well.

The schedule for the tournament is as follows:

Preliminary Round

14th July 2008:

Game A1: Greece vs. Lebanon

Game B1: New Zealand vs. Cape Verde

Game C1: Korea vs. Slovenia

Game D1: Croatia vs. Cameroon

15th July 2008:

Game A2: Lebanon vs. Brazil

Game B2: Cape Verde vs. Germany

Game C2: Slovenia vs. Canada

Game D2: Cameroon vs. Puerto Rico

16th July 2008:

Game A3: Brazil vs. Greece

Game B3: Germany vs. New Zealand

Game C3: Canada vs. Korea

Game D3: Puerto Rico vs. Croatia

The teams placed 1st and 2nd in each group will advance to the Quarter-Finals; the teams placed 3rd in each group will be eliminated and may return home. The games of the Preliminary Round and the Quarter-Finals will be played at 13:00 hours, 15:30 hours, 19:30 hours and 22:00 hours. The exact order of games will be fixed in March.

17th July 2008: Rest Day

3. Quarter-Finals:

18th July 2008:

Game 13: A1 vs. B2

Game 14: B1 vs. A2

Game 15: C1 vs. D2

Game 16: D1 vs. C2

The games of the Quarter-Finals will be played at 13:00 hours, 15:30 hours, 19:30 hours and 22:00 hours.

4. Semi-Finals:

19th July 2008:

Game 17: Winner 13 vs. Winner 15

Game 18: Winner 14 vs. Winner 16

The two winners of the Semi-Finals will qualify for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. The two losers will play in the Finals the game for the 3rd place (Game 19 below) for one remaining Olympic spot. The Semi-Final games will be played at 19:00 hours and 21:30 hours.

5. Finals:

20th July 2008:

Game 19 (20:00 hours): Loser 17 vs. Loser 18

The winner will qualify for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Its nice to see that Canada got a kind draw. Oh, and its also worth noting that Steve Nash is apparently considering trying (like he would have any trouble) to make the team.

In another thread (Beijing qualification schedule) I wrote about the fact that Volleyball Canada was obliged to cancelled the Montreal's FIVB-Swatch Beach Volleyball tournament scheduled for next summer for money reason. And I explain the reason was maybe because Canada decided few months ago to cut a lot in subvention for summer's sport to invest more in winter's one with the goal to grab the most medals in 2010

I find a article today about that, but I placed it in this thread instead since it's more appropriate.

OLYMPICS

TheStar.com | Sports | Volleyball funds cut to the bone

Volleyball funds cut to the bone

Canadian beach players struggling for cash as Beijing Games approach

Feb 01, 2008 04:30 AM

Randy Starkman

SPORTS REPORTER

The Canadian beach volleyball team just had sand kicked in its face as it tries to prepare for the Beijing Olympics.

The team's funding from the Canadian Olympic Committee's Road to Excellence program – which is focused on helping to produce medal winners – was chopped from $175,000 last year to $20,000 in this Beijing campaign.

"Simply put, this makes things very difficult," said Volleyball Canada executive director John-Paul Cody. "In an Olympic year, this is not what you're hoping to hear."

The bad news comes as several Canadian teams are still trying to secure a qualifying berth for Beijing – they have to be in the top 24 on the world circuit at the cut-off in July. The only team currently there are the Toronto pair of 1996 Olympic bronze medalist Mark Heese and Ahren Cadieux, in 21st. Dana Cooke of Burlington and Annie Martin of Lachine, Que., are 25th.

Heese said he could see the big cutback coming and expects it will cost about $70,000 to attend the 10 tournaments they'll likely need to cement their berth.

"I suppose I could raise a big fuss, but I'm expecting this will be my last kick at the can and I'm not going to waste my energy," said the three-time Olympian. "We're going to these tournaments, regardless of whether we have to take out a loan or borrow. I'm not going to look back on this year and think about money; I'm going to think about how much effort I put into going for gold."

Former Olympic swim great Alex Baumann had made it clear in taking over Road to Excellence last year that they would use the scant resources they have on athletes and teams with serious medal potential.

Diving, rowing and canoe-kayak have been identified as the three Category 1 sports, while beach volleyball ended up towards the bottom of the pile when it came time for Road to Excellence to hand out its $13 million.

"It's never an easy thing but in the end I do believe we're funding too many sports with the resources we have and we're not really making an impact with these sports," said Baumann.

Baumann is trying to convince the federal government to give the summer Olympic sports $30 million per year to improve the country's chances for medals leading to the 2012 London Games. The summer sports are struggling compared to the winter sports federations, which will see $110 million in new money invested leading to the 2010 Vancouver Games.

rstarkman@thestar.ca

Edited by Chateau Petrus