Canada's Olympic Team

taichi

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

what's goin' on with Canada at these Olympics ? Damn, I was hoping my favourite country on Earth would do better than in Athens, but currently all of the first medal hopes from Canada failed. I am really shocked with the performance so far ... and I am hoping for your rowers to do well. This night I got up at 4 a.m. just to watch Mike Brown swimming (so far probably Canada's best chance to medal in the pool), and again I was dissapointed. :unsure:

Well, well, well ... though being German I really hope Canada's bad result finally leads to the opposite in two years, when you - as hosts - will claim the top of the medal table in Vancouver and replace our currently leading winter team ... finally the increasing number of medals in winter games for your team turns into an embarrasing number of summer medals here in Beijing :(

Anyway, I keep watching all important decisions where Canada has a chance to finish among the first three ... still there are enough days to go to reach one of the top fifteen spots in the medal table !

@ michael_warren :

... and good luck to New Zealand, too !

yes, I can't wait for the finals in rowing and canoeing ... hope there is one medal here and there in trampoline, syncro swimming, athletics, weightlifting, diving (probably women's soccer team ?) ... and some further surprising medals ...

Hey,

what's goin' on with Canada at these Olympics ? Damn, I was hoping my favourite country on Earth would do better than in Athens, but currently all of the first medal hopes from Canada failed. I am really shocked with the performance so far ... and I am hoping for your rowers to do well. This night I got up at 4 a.m. just to watch Mike Brown swimming (so far probably Canada's best chance to medal in the pool), and again I was dissapointed. :unsure:

Well, well, well ... though being German I really hope Canada's bad result finally leads to the opposite in two years, when you - as hosts - will claim the top of the medal table in Vancouver and replace our currently leading winter team ... finally the increasing number of medals in winter games for your team turns into an embarrasing number of summer medals here in Beijing :(

Anyway, I keep watching all important decisions where Canada has a chance to finish among the first three ... still there are enough days to go to reach one of the top fifteen spots in the medal table !

@ michael_warren :

... and good luck to New Zealand, too !

I think it has to do with all of Canada's public and corporate attention being diverted to Vancouver 2010, that's why our summer athletes aren't performing as well as they should. Hell, on the CBC Olympic coverage there are sponsor ads advertising the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic team rather than the Summer Games.....that's right, ads with snow and ice airing in the middle of summer.

@ mr.x :

Yes, that's what I though.

Anyway ... as a German being a fan of Canada I will wave both flags in Vancouver ... might be a thrilling fight there for the pole position in the medal table ... sth like the "winter edition" of the CHN-USA-challenge this year ;)

Still, Beijing frustrates me ...

Well if our overall performance here ends up being worse than in Athens, maybe the COC and government officials will finally wake up. More investment into Olympic sport and athlete development would most likely happen.

Never mind having Jacques Rogge making a personal meeting with Canadian officials again, just like in Athens 2004.

I wonder how our medal count would be if we were hosting the summer games. Maybe this is a good opporunity for Toronto to start working on a 2020 bid.

Day 7 and still no medals. :unsure::(

:angry: frowny smiley face for our government for not pitching in more money to the athletes.

The men's lightweight double sculls was lucky to be at the games, so no disappointment there. But 5 of 8 for Canada and all have good medal shots. If we win less than 3 medals it will be shockingly disappointing.

Blythe Hartley has finished 3rd in qualifying.

Also I the way Canadian athletes are trained and funded isn't really progressing or becoming simpler. They've pretty much been counting on the same success using the same programs but unfortunately there are many more countries with multiple medal potentials now. Somebody has to end up coming short, and in this case it's the Canadians.

Armstrong ends up finishing fourth! A tough position but a Canadian record!

Finished fourth by one centimetre.

We might get our first Swimming medal from Ryan Cochrane. He broke the Olympic record in his heat for the Men's 1500m freestyle but then the record was taken back by Grant Hackett of Australia in the next heat. Cochrane placed 2nd overall advancing to the finals.

If it can offer the Canadians some consolation: Belgium hasn't won any medal yet and it's possible that we won't win any during these Games. Only 4 "top 8 places" during the first week. Very bad result for a West-European country with more than 10 million inhabitants.

Well today is our first great chances at medals

In finn class sailing, Christopher Cook needs to beat the Swede by 8 and the Frenchman by 2 in placement. Hopefully both flounder and Canada can get a sailing medal.

In women's wrestling we have great chances in the women's 48kg and 55kg today.

Men's pairs is also the other great medal chance today.