Canada's Olympic Team

taichi

Joint this reported to eKudos Joint this reported to MSN receiver Joint this reported to NUjij

read

13:45 21 June 2008

Also athletes Canada avoid opening

Also the Canadian athletes avoid opening ceramics on the Olympic Games. Just like for the Australian athletes air clogging the most important reason for staying away is at the opening of the game on 8 augusts.

Beside clogging the lack of good training facilities plays also a role, said to the Canadian athletics coach lesson Gramantik. We can in Beijing on but one job to train and those is far from the Olympic village. Moreover the movement is a crazy person house.

That is the literal translation:

Canadian athlete's Avoid Opening Ceremonies

The Canadian athletes, along with the Australian athletes will not be attending the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games. Poor air quality was a primary reason for not attending the Opening ceremonies.

Canadian athletics coach has said that the poor air quality along with lack of good training facilities are the reason for staying at training base. The training facilities are a distance from the Olympic Village and traveling through the city will be hectic.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denham Brown, former UCONN star, surprisingly failed to show up for the first day of the Canadian men's basketball training camp at Toronto's Air Canada Centre yesterday. He hasn't been in the team meetings either leading up to training camp.

Reuben Ross finished ahead of Eric Sehn at the Canadian diving trials in Regina yesterday to book a ticket in Beijing. Both will end up a partners in the synchronized diving comp. Ross and Despatie, provided Despatie can show he's fit in front of a panel of international judges on July 9, will compete in the springboard.

That is the literal translation:

Canadian athlete's Avoid Opening Ceremonies

The Canadian athletes, along with the Australian athletes will not be attending the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games. Poor air quality was a primary reason for not attending the Opening ceremonies.

Canadian athletics coach has said that the poor air quality along with lack of good training facilities are the reason for staying at training base. The training facilities are a distance from the Olympic Village and traveling through the city will be hectic.

Thanks for the translation.

Was there now source found in Canada what also told about this?

Athletics

100m

Jared Connaughton

Anson Henry

Justyn Warner

200m

Jared Connaughton*

400m

Tyler Christopher*

800m

Ashraf Tadili~

Gary Reed~

1500m

Kevin Sullivan*

Taylor Milne*

Nathan Brannen~

110m Hurdles

Karl Jennings

Charles Allen

400m Hurdles

Adam Kunkel^

Adam Seabrook

High Jump

Mike Mason

Shot Put

Dylan Armstrong*

Discus

Jason Tunks^

Javelin

Scott Russel*

Decathalon

Massimo Bertocchi

200m

Adrienne Power

800m

Diane Cummins^

1500m

Carmen Douma-Hussar

5000m

Megan Metcalfe

100m Hurdles

Angela Whyte^

Priscila Lopes-Schliop^

Predita Felicien^

High Jump

Nicole Forrester

Long Jump

Jabia Charles*

Ruky Adbulai*

Pole Vault

Kelsie Hendry*

Dana Ellis-Bulier

Hammer Throw

Sultana Frizelli*

Heptathlon

Jessica Zelinka*

*Posted the A+ standard

^Will get most likely get selection of A standard based on medal results previously

~ Ran 2 A standards as the secondary criteria

All others have run the standard but haven't this year

So there is roughly 20 athletes, so only 7 more until the goal of 27 is reached.

Canada's diving team is almost set.

These are our qualified divers now going by the Canadian Olympic Trials.

Men's 3 metre Springboard

Alexandre Despatie

Reuben Ross

Men's 10 metre Platform

-Last event that hasn't been decided yet

Men's 3 metre Synchronized

Alexandre Despatie and Arturo Miranda

Women's 3 metre Springboard

Blythe Hartley

Jennifer Abel

Women's 10 metre Platform

Emilie Heymans

Marie-Eve Marleau

Women's 10 metre Synchronized

Meaghan Benfeito and Roseline Filion

Reuben Ross finished ahead of Eric Sehn at the Canadian diving trials in Regina yesterday to book a ticket in Beijing. Both will end up a partners in the synchronized diving comp. Ross and Despatie, provided Despatie can show he's fit in front of a panel of international judges on July 9, will compete in the springboard.

Despatie's partner for the synchro dive is Arturo Miranda. Are you telling me they're not gonna send Miranda to Beijing instead partnering him with Ross?

Have they already qualified? I don't think so???

Daniel Nestor is the 3rd ranked player in the world, so yes he has already qualified. Qualification is based on June 9th ranking

Edited by Faster

Despatie's partner for the synchro dive is Arturo Miranda. Are you telling me they're not gonna send Miranda to Beijing instead partnering him with Ross?

It will be Miranda most likely, he doesn't compete in the singles anymore.

TO MAKE AN UPDATE TO THE COMPLETE LIST :

Men’s Kayak:

Adam van Koeverden

Andrew Willows

Richard Dober

Steven Jorens

Ryan Cuthbert

Christopher Pellini

Brady Reardon

Angus Mortimer

Rhys Hill

Women’s Kayak:

Karen Furneaux

Mylanie Barré

Kristin Gauthier

Emilie Fournel

Geneviève Beauchesne-Sévigny

Men’s Canoe:

Mark Oldershaw

Thomas Hall

Gabriel Beauchesne-Sévigny

Andrew Russell

For Slalom we only grab 2 spots :

Men K1 and Women K1

In the big list I see for badminton only two names :

Andrew Dabeka (singles, men)

Anna Rice (singles, women)

If I go on the Badminton Canada website they announced two others names :

Mike Beres (doubles, mixed)

Valerie Loker (doubles, mixed)

In the big list I see for badminton only two names :

Andrew Dabeka (singles, men)

Anna Rice (singles, women)

If I go on the Badminton Canada website they announced two others names :

Mike Beres (doubles, mixed)

Valerie Loker (doubles, mixed)

Strange, I read an article about Mike Beres in the local paper that said he wasn't going to Beijing this time, he had missed out. He is from a hamlet that is an enclave of my city. According to wikipedia and the federation there is no mention that Canada has a mixed doubles team.

Here's the link :

http://www.badminton.ca/news_item.aspx?id=13273

Plus, I had the chance to chat a little bit with Valerie Loker two weeks ago at an information session for parents and friends of canadian athletes who will travel to Beijing (at The Bay store). She was quite excited to go to the Olympics.

There is only 16 teams though. 16 teams and Canada does not have a mixed doubles team. The only possible way that is, is if the Americans pulled out and I have heard nothing of the sort.

Edited by Faster

Well guys, Canada is listed as the last qualified Mixed Doubles entry on the IBF website. And yes, the Americans are no longer on list...

I think we can now forget Beach Volleyball for women.

Martin/Cooke and Maxwell/Lessard didn't win a game in Main Draw since the beginning of the year (in nine tournaments).

Situation for Cadieux/Heese is not better. They are now provisionally out of the ranking list.

Yes, there's a little hope for men.

But the result of the previous tournament are not too encouraging and they will surelly lost few more spots before the deadline.

A good thing is that they are in a not too strong pool at this week Stavanger tournament.

The other men's team will not make it either. I had some talks recently with Rich Van Huyzen on Facebook and he wrote me that his knee give him a lot of trouble.

Well, Canada just qualified a female archer for Beijing, but not in the way that Archery Canada expected. Indeed, both the Netherlands and Belgium waived the Archery quotas that they earned, which opened up for quotas (3 for the womens, one for the mens). That means that Canada earned the last world championships quota. The athlete that will represent Canada is still TBD.

Other countries that have benefited from the decision are Venezuela (women's), Belarus (women's) and Germany (men's).