Canada's Olympic Team

taichi

He still go to Beijing but he will be sidelined for four to six weeks after breaking a bone in his foot during his daily training session in Montreal on Thursday afternoon.

He broke his foot after a bad landing of a jump during the poolside warm-up.

He will miss the world diving series, taking place in Mexico and Great Britain, the Grand Prix meet in the U.S. and the 2008 Canada Cup in Montreal from May 1-4.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through 3 of 6 races Macdonald, Ross/Mitchell, Steve are in 7th place and 2nd of 4 for teams not already qualified. If they can continue their good performances in the later 3 races they stand a good chance of qualifying and being part of Canada's largest sailing fleet (h ell it beats our navy)

Other opportunity for canada to qualify a team for Beijing

Women's Field Hockey Olympic Qualification Tournament

April 26th to May 4th, Victoria BC

Here's the website link for the match schedule and all the details :

http://www.worldhockeyoqcanada.com/

Other big tournament to follow this weekend :

Wrestling Olympics First Qualification Tournament (Martigny, Switzerland)

Today, John Pineda lost in semi-finals against a korean in the 55kg category

Next days, two others canadians will try to qualify for Beijing

David Zilbermann in the 96kg category

Arjan Bhullar in the 120kg category

All the detail in their website :

http://www.fila-wrestling.com/beijing08/in...101〈=en

Note that few canadians allready got their tickets for the Games

Canada is the only country with Ukraine to have secure a spot on each of the four women's category

Edited by Chateau Petrus

Well, Canada's Synchro Swimmers are going to Beijing: Canada finished third in the "Good Luck Beijing" Synchronized Swimming Qualification Event and grabs the last remaining place in the Team event (and an automatic berth for the Duet event). Spain and Japan finished first and second, respectively.

Just to give an update with the addition of the 9 for synchro (7 team, 2 duet) and 1 more wrestler we are at 147 men and 106 women for a total of 253 athletes. This will translate to a current delegation of roughly 500.

There is still wrestling, volleyball, triathlon, tennis, rowing, modern pentathlon, judo, field hockey, fencing, cycling, canoe/kayak, boxing, basketball, badminton and athletics.

We should qualify between 25 and 30 for athletics, 6 for triathlon, 2 for volleyball, 1 for tennis, anywhere between 8 and 18 for rowing, 2 to 3 more for judo, 3 or 4 for cycling, 2 for badminton. So roughly 300 athletes.

Other important Olympic Qualification Tournament :

Canoe/Kayak Slalom

April 25th to April 27th

Charlotte, North Carolina

Panamerican Championship and Continental Olympic Qualification Tournament

(I hope Canada will qualify and every event because I will be there in Shunyi for the finals with my canadian flag)

Also this weekend

Second American Olympic Boxing Qualification Tournament

Guatemala City, Guatemala

April 25th to April 30th

Very last chance for few of our boxers including Didier Bence, Kevin Bizier, Sylvera-Jacques Louis, Franct Ntetu and few others more who hope to rejoin Adam Trupish in Beijing

Other important Olympic Qualification Tournament :

Canoe/Kayak Slalom

April 25th to April 27th

Charlotte, North Carolina

Panamerican Championship and Continental Olympic Qualification Tournament

(I hope Canada will qualify and every event because I will be there in Shunyi for the finals with my canadian flag)

We have qualified in one and tentatively qualified in another (hopefully the Chinese qualify as Asia champion), its gonna be touch and go

Other opportunity for canada to qualify a team for Beijing

Women's Field Hockey Olympic Qualification Tournament

April 26th to May 4th, Victoria BC

Here's the website link for the match schedule and all the details :

http://www.worldhockeyoqcanada.com/

Canada lost his first match today (against Italy, 2-1)

Next game will be sunday against Ireland, tuesday against Malaysia, thursday against Uruguay and saturday against Korea

In Queretaro (Mexico), Philippe Beaudry got yesterday his ticket for Beijing in the sabre category (fencing)

Also yesterday, this time in Charlotte (USA), Jessica Groeneveld grab a spot for Beijing in the K1 category (canoe-kayak slalom)

Two more canadians got their ticket for Beijing at the Canoe-Kayak Slalom Olympic Qualification in Charlotte :

David Ford

Sarah Boudens

For David (41 years old) it will be his fifth Olympics.

And for the Women's Field Hockey Tournament, another lost for Canada today (this time against Ireland)

Just an update

Canada has finished with 9 of a possible 11 in freestyle wrestling

Badminton is finalized but not published (the qualification is as of May 1st)

Andrew Dabeka in Men's Singles

Anna Rica in Women's Singles

Highly unfortunate that Mike Bears didn't qualify, he is from the same city as me.

Also Gina Grain has gotten a spot in the women's point race.

Canada finishes fourth in the Women's Field Hockey Olympic Qualification Tournament in Victoria, BC witha loss to Ireland 2-1.

The Canadian women won against Uruguay (a reminder, they replaced Cuba in this) and Malaysia but lost to Italy, Ireland (twice), and eventual qualifiers South Korea.

Sarah Forbes, a Toronto EMS paramedic and York University Lions assistant coach, was named Best Goaltender.

Three more Canadians qualify for Beijing at Pan Am judo championship

May 10, 2008 - 9:59 am

By: THE CANADIAN PRESS

MIAMI - Three more Canadians booked their ticket to the Olympic Games in Beijing, with two winning medals at the Pan American judo championships.

Frazer Will of Star City, Sask., Sasha Mehmedovic of North York, Ont., and Nicholas Tritton of Perth, Ont., each qualified Friday for the Olympic Games.

Mehmedovic won the bronze medal in men's 66 kilos, defeating Ronnie Talledo of Peru in his last bout.

Canadian head coach Nicholas Gill wasn't surprised. ''Sasha's been our top competitor for over a year," he said. ''However he struggled at the Pan Am Games last year and fell behind in the qualifying process. Today he had a very good performance beating a solid field. His weight class is very deep at the Pan Am level."

In men's 73 kilos, Tritton also won bronze defeating Josue Deprez of Haiti in the medal match.

''In my semifinal bout (against Brazil's Victor Penalber), I didn't receive the points I wanted," said Tritton. ''I felt I should have won. I'm pleased to qualify for the Olympics but it's just another step. I'll be satisfied when I reach the podium in Beijing."

In men's 60 kilos, Will didn't need to compete Friday to qualify and rested his sore knee. Will was the Pan Am champion in 2006 and 2007.

Earlier in the week, Calgary's Keith Morgan and Marylise Levesque of La Pocatiere, Que., qualified for the Olympic Games after winning medals.

Also qualified yesterday in Terrebonne (Montreal's north shore) for Gymnastic-Tumbling :

Karen Cockburn and Jason Burnett

And, next weekend in Montreal (I will be there) it will be the occasion for lot of others canadians to qualify at the Canoe-Kayak Flatwater Olympic Qualification

At the Pan American Canoe/Kayak Championships, Canada went a perfect 5 for 5 on Saturday qualifying boats in the Men's K-2 1000m, K-4 1000m, C-1 1000m, C-2 1000m and the Women's K-4 500m. Tomorrow there is spots open in the C-2 500m and Women's K-1 500m and K-2 500m.

Canada has a decent chance of joining Hungary and Germany as countries with 12 boats, but I think Mexico will secure one of the women's spots tomorrow.

Well, its official: Canada will have a boat in every Canoeing flatwater events.

And Hungary didn't get a place in the C-1 500m so its just Canada and Germany that have all 12 boats, for the sport in total Germany has 16, while Canada has 14, 15 if China wins the Asian C-1 slalom qualifier.