Canada's Olympic Team

taichi

By the way, if Canada wins its game against Germany we will finish first in the final Baseball Olympic Qualifier (not that it really matters, just a bit of extra pride).

Oh, and the CONCACAF men's Olympic Qualifier is just underway. Canada drew its first game 1-1 versus Mexico, so its quite a decent start (we still have to play against Haiti and Guatemala).

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, if Canada wins its game against Germany we will finish first in the final Baseball Olympic Qualifier (not that it really matters, just a bit of extra pride).

Oh, and the CONCACAF men's Olympic Qualifier is just underway. Canada drew its first game 1-1 versus Mexico, so its quite a decent start (we still have to play against Haiti and Guatemala).

I heard 7 or 8 members of the Cuban Soccer team defected into the United States. The Cuban team is screwed now.

They will just get deported like the Cuban boxers from november

Under the United States' "wet foot, dry foot" policy, Cubans who reach U.S. soil are allowed to remain in the country and apply for U.S. residency after one year.

Under the United States' "wet foot, dry foot" policy, Cubans who reach U.S. soil are allowed to remain in the country and apply for U.S. residency after one year.

When it comes to sporting events they have little choice but to deport, as they did with the Cuban boxers that were in Chicago for the world championships last November.

When it comes to sporting events they have little choice but to deport, as they did with the Cuban boxers that were in Chicago for the world championships last November.

There wasen't any Cuban boxers at the 2007 AIBF World Championships.

In few weeks, the Women's Football Olympic Qualification tournament for the CONCACAF in Mexico

(from April 2th to April 12th)

Two places only for Beijing available

Group A

02.04: Mexico - Jamaica

04.04: USA - Jamaica

06.04: Mexico - USA

Group B

02.04: Trinidad and Tobago - Canada

04.04: Costa Rica - Trinidad and Tobago

06.04: Canada - Costa Rica

Semi-finals

09.04: A1 - B2 & B1 - A2

Final

12.04: Third-place & Championship

So, we will know April 9th if Canada got their ticket to the Olympic

They have better chance to go than the men team

Men's Football Olympic Qualification Tournament for CONCACAF held in USA (Carson, Nashville and Tampa)

Canada play against Haiti today and against Guatemala sunday.

Canada tied 1-1 against Mexico two days ago.

They have to finish first or second of their four teams group to reached the semi-finals (A1-B2 and B1-A2)

Honduras allready secure their place in semi-finals today with their second victory in their group composed also by USA, Cuba and Panama

The winners of the two semi-finals go to Beijing

Edited by Chateau Petrus

Haiti just won 2-1 against Canada

Canada scored the first goal at the 17th minute.

They keep the lead until Haiti scored at the 71th minute.

Haiti scored the winning goal 13 minutes later.

Bye Bye Beijing (but it's not a surprise)

But at an Under-23 Olympic qualifying between the US and Cuba last week, played I believe in Florida, 5 players and a trainer disappeared right after the game.

But at an Under-23 Olympic qualifying between the US and Cuba last week, played I believe in Florida, 5 players and a trainer disappeared right after the game.

The number went up to seven. Cuba actually had to play there game against Honduras whit 10 players due to defections and suspensions...

Boxing Continental Olympic Qualification Tournament

March 12th to March 18th, Port of Spain, Trinidad Tobago.

Only two canadians still in competition.

Kevin Bizier and Silvera-Jacques Louis will both advance to semi-finals.

Top three of each weight category go to Beijing

So, if they won their next fight, they got their ticket for the Olympics.

If they lost, they will fight with the other semi-finals loser to determinate the third one who will go to the Games

Boxing Continental Olympic Qualification Tournament

March 12th to March 18th, Port of Spain, Trinidad Tobago.

Only two canadians still in competition.

Kevin Bizier and Silvera-Jacques Louis will both advance to semi-finals.

Top three of each weight category go to Beijing

So, if they won their next fight, they got their ticket for the Olympics.

If they lost, they will fight with the other semi-finals loser to determinate the third one who will go to the Games

Top 3 in the one, top 2 in the other, Canada would have to beat a Cuban boxer in the heaveyweight catagory to win a spot.

There is a second qualifier aswell

I remember before Athens Canada had qualified 4 or 5 boxers, but the COC only wanted to send one because the others would not be top-20 finishes and the COC didn't wanna pay for athlete's that aren't gonna finish well.

My predictions (part three)

Diving

We had big expectations for Athens with two individuals golds for Alexandre Despatie and two individuals golds for Emilie Heymans. Final results, only a siver for Alexandre and nothing for Emilie except the bronze in duo with Blythe Hartley.

For Beijing, it will be a Chinese domination. Only australian Michelle Wu at the tower and Alexandre Despatie can stop the "gold an silver for China" in each of the four individual events.

Emilie Heymans and Blythe Hartley will reach the finals and will have a good shot for the bronze.

In the four synchro events, the men's 3 meters leaded by Alexandre should bring a silver medal to Canada and maybe a surprising gold. Bronze or silver for two women's event with Meghan Benfeito and Roseline Filion

My prediction for Canada : one gold, two silvers, two bronze

Cycling Road

In Athens, we had serious chance for a medal with Line Bessette and Genevieve Jeanson who both won before several World Cup event.

Line stop the competition and Genevieve is banned after few positive doping control (for EPO)

Nothing to expext for Beijing

My prediction for Canada : zero gold, zero silver, zero bronze

Fencing

Canada never came close to win a medal in fencing, but in recent years it's one of the sport we improve the most in the international sport scene.

Not enough to dream for a medal, but we can expect to place two or three athletes in the top ten (mostly women), something unthinkable years ago

Judo

For men, two hopes to reach the quarterfinals , Frazer Will and Sasha Mehmedovic.

For women, two hopes also to reach the quarterfinals (and maybe the semifinals, due to their Athens experience), Marie-Helene Chisholm and Catherine Roberge

Taekwondo

Karyne Sergerie is the current World Champion, and she's the one who got the gold few weeks ago at the "Good Luck Beijing" tournament. Sebastien Michaud is a solid contender for a podium as Ivett Gonda

My prediction for Canada : one gold, zero silver, one bronze

Edited by Chateau Petrus

Fencing

Canada never came close to win a medal in fencing, but in recent years it's one of the sport we improve the most in the international sport scene.

Not enough to dream for a medal, but we can expect to place two or three athletes in the top ten (mostly women), something unthinkable years ago

Canada has come close to winning a medal in fencing, Women's Team Epee in Athens, they were in the bronze medal match against France, France won 45-37, Canada upset Hungary 38-37 in the quarters and were defeated by Russia 25-18 in the semis.

Sherraine MacKay is also a World Championship bronze medalist.

Total for my predictions (up to date) is : 4 gold, 7 silver and 6 bronze

But, still to go, lot of others sports with potential medals (rowing, canoe-kayak, mountain bike, etc... )

The rest later

Canada will be lucky to get that many medals in Beijing, that would be considered and unequivocal success

Canada turned in an amazing performance at the CONCACAF qualifier beating Guatemala 5-0 to top Mexico for the 2nd spot by 1 goal.

Canada vs. the United States of America for one spot

Guatemala vs. Honduras for the other

Hopefully Canada can stick it to our American friends.

It's a good news

The semi-final match will be play thursday in Nashville Tenessee

USA is presently ranked 28th in the world and Canada 62th.

(while Mexico 16th, Guatemala 95th and Haiti 97th)

So, the surprise in this tournament is our tied game against Mexico.