Canada's Olympic Team

taichi

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 actually.

It's seems you're right (and I'm really happy of it because it will give a better chance for Canada)

I got my information for three teams in the FINA website :

http://www.fina.org/project/index.php?opti...&Itemid=280

Go read point number 4 : Olympic Games Qualification Tournament - FINA Rule BL 8.3.10.1.5

wrong information ?

By the way here's today results

Men´s FINA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament in Oradea, Romania

Results day 5

Thursday, 6 March 2008

Group A - Italy vs. Germany 5-5

Group A - Mexico vs. Canada 6-18

Group B - Brazil vs. Slovakia 6-12

Group B - Greece vs. Russia 8-6

Group A - Iran vs. Macedonia 6-11

Group B - Romania vs. Kazakhstan 19-2

Final standings Preliminary Round

Group A: Greece* 10, Romania 8, Russia 6, Slovakia 4, Brazil 2, Kazakhstan 0.

Group B: Germany* 9, Italy 8, Canada 7, Macedonia 4, Iran 1, Mexico 1.

* Qualified for 2008 Olympic Games.

Schedule day 6

Friday, 7 March 2008

1. 14:30 Kazakhastan vs Iran

2. 16:00 Brazil vs Mexico

3.* 17:30 Russia vs Italy

4.* 19:00 Romania vs Canada

* The winners of the games 3 and 4 will qualify for the 2008 Olympic Games!

Those information are taken from waterpolo-world.com

So, they confirm it's really 4 teams although FINA said something different.

Canada only at one victory away to go to Beijing. But against Romania I thing we can forget it.

Tomorrow is the start of the Baseball Olympic Qualification Tournament in Chinese Taipei.

6 teams in the tournament : Canada, Australia, South Africa, Mexico, Germany, Korea, Spain and Chinese Taipei

Top 3 qualified for Beijing.

Hope I don't wrote wrong information this time ;)

I got the info here :

http://www.ibaf.tv/

Here's the roster for Team Canada :

http://66.241.210.162/files/2008%20OQ%20Ro...20-%20media.pdf

Edited by Chateau Petrus

Recap of Athens 2004 Baseball Tournament for Canada

August 15th - Canada beat Taiwan 7-0

August 16th - Canada beat Italy 9-3

August 17th - Canada beat Netherlands 7-0

August 18th - Canada beat Greece 2-0

August 20th - Japan beat Canada 9-1

August 21th - Cuba beat Canada 5-2

August 22th - Canada beat Australia 11-0

End of the preliminary round

August 24th - Semifinal - Cuba beat Canada 8-5

(Canada was leading 3-2 at the beginning of the eight inning. Then Cuba scored 6 points in that 8 inning)

August 25th - Bronze Medal Match - Japan beat Canada 11-2

We came so close to go to the Gold Medal Match. I remembered watching that game on tv. I wanted to cry after that 8 inning.

Here are the scores from day one:

Korea 5 - 0 South Africa

Canada 15 - Mexico 10

Australia 4 - Germany 1

Chinese Taipai (Taiwan) 13 - 3 Spain

Indeed, winning against Mexico was critical. Now tomorrow we play South Africa, while we play Australia Sunday. If we beat Australia, we will have a very good chance to make it to Beijing.

Congrats to the Canadian men water polo! At least there will be some Canadian water polo in Beijing. I mentioned in the qualifications post that the Canadian women were rather young in their senior national experience, and that, along with the depth and competition in women's international water polo improving over the last four years, was why they failed to qualify.

I expect Canada will beat South Africa easily, but remember what happened at the World Baseball Classic when they faced each other. Australia and Canada are comperable to some extent.

OMG

Canada 9

Romania 8

I can't believe it.

I agree, very hard to believe.

We were expecting the women and not the men.

I asked and I got tickets for two differents dates involving the womens but not for the mens :angry:

I will have to make some trades when I will be there :rolleyes:

As a volunteer this weekend for the Canadian Taekwondo Championship held at Centre Claude-Robillard in Montreal (venue for the handball tournament and the waterpolo tournament during the 1976's games), I will have the chance to be with one of the favorite for winning a gold at Beijing, Karine Sergerie and also a good pretender for a medal (potential for gold), Sebastien Michaud.

Unfortunelly, I will not see them in competition because Taekwondo Canada don't want them to risk the possibility of injury at less than 5 months of the Olympics.

Great results for Canada at the baseball qualifier

Canada 10 - 0 South Africa F/7

Mexico 1 - 6 Chinese Taipei

Korea 16 - 2 Australia F/7

Spain 0 - 1 Germany

next round is

Germany vs. Chinese Taipei

Australia vs. Canada

South Africa vs Spain

Korea vs Mexico

If Canada can beat Australia we should be all but qualified.

I think we will do it, Australia haven't been impressive so far.

Yea, if we beat Australia, we should be able to beat Spain and Germany and then lose to Korea and Taipei and finish 5-2 and that would be good enough.

As if the woes for the defending silver medalists couldn't end. South Korea was just too good for the Aussies, but they need to get their act together. Everybody else whom for Canada has yet to face like Germany and Spain (but not South Korea and Chinese Taipei) are easybeats.

Didn't know this until I checked out the Germany roster but one player is currently in the Angels' system.

I just came back from the Canadian Taekwondo Championship with the worst snowstorm I ever saw in Montreal.

I had the chance to talk a lot with Karine Sergerie, the actual World Champion, and big favorite for the gold in Beijing. She's so a nice person. She was very surprised when I tell her that I will see her compete in five months in Beijing.

Since she will arrive for the Opening Ceremony even if her competition is only the 22th of august, I promised her to give her some of my extra tickets I got from Cosport. She was very happy about that. I told her it's my contribution for canadian amateur sport, and she deserve it a lot.

Tomorrow, I will bring her as a gift a lot of my extra pins I got in good quantities (mostly from Atlanta games)

Very happy of the result for Canada in the Baseball Tournament. I seriously thing they will make it for Beijing.

I just came back from the Canadian Taekwondo Championship with the worst snowstorm I ever saw in Montreal.

I had the chance to talk a lot with Karine Sergerie, the actual World Champion, and big favorite for the gold in Beijing. She's so a nice person. She was very surprised when I tell her that I will see her compete in five months in Beijing.

Since she will arrive for the Opening Ceremony even if her competition is only the 22th of august, I promised her to give her some of my extra tickets I got from Cosport. She was very happy about that. I told her it's my contribution for canadian amateur sport, and she deserve it a lot.

Tomorrow, I will bring her as a gift a lot of my extra pins I got in good quantities (mostly from Atlanta games)

Very happy of the result for Canada in the Baseball Tournament. I seriously thing they will make it for Beijing.

Your French is showing

Canada could either do really well at these games 20+ or really badly, under 10. I am leaning to the under 10 myself.

Your French is showing

Canada could either do really well at these games 20+ or really badly, under 10. I am leaning to the under 10 myself.

On paper Karine is the favorite.

But we all remember Perditia Felicien was also the favorite on paper for the Athen's 100m hurdles. And we all know how she finished the race.

Same thing for Nicolas Gill in judo, and Alexandre Despatie and Emilie Heymans in diving, and a lot lot more.

I know that a lot of the most expected medals will not be materialized. Look at Torino's games, I thing we beat the record for the most 4th places. But, even if taekwondo is not a sport I follow a lot, I thing chance for the gold are very good.

On paper Karine is the favorite.

But we all remember Perditia Felicien was also the favorite on paper for the Athen's 100m hurdles. And we all know how she finished the race.

Same thing for Nicolas Gill in judo, and Alexandre Despatie and Emilie Heymans in diving, and a lot lot more.

I know that a lot of the most expected medals will not be materialized. Look at Torino's games, I thing we beat the record for the most 4th places. But, even if taekwondo is not a sport I follow a lot, I thing chance for the gold are very good.

Gill was the flagbearer because it had to be a frenchy.

The only disappointments in Torino were men's hockey, Beckie Scott in 10km and 15km, men's aerials and men's snowboard cross.

I think Canada will probably match the same amount of medals (12) they won in Athens. Possibly 2-3 more than that amount or less that amount. I don't know what to think of our Olympic team this year. Can someone give me an overview of what us Canadians can expect from our athletes this summer in Beijing?