Canada's Olympic Team

taichi

According to what I have tabulated

144 Canadian Athletics have qualified.

Archery, W-Basketball, Equestrian (though qualified a full team), Gymnastics, Hockey, Modern Penthalon, Shooting, Softball, Taekwondo, Volleyball, Weightlifting are over for qualification at least for Canadians.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly.

Archery - We could still qualify one female athlete during the last chance qualification tournament.

Hockey - Canada will have a chance to qualify at home for the women's event (altought its a long shoot to say the least...).

Modern Penthatlon - World Ranking and 2008 World Championships.

Volleyball - Its true for indoor, but we could still qualify for Beach Volleyball (altought it does not look good...).

Weightlifting - Its over for the Canadian ladies (and it went well), but the mens will still have a chance to qualify later this year.

Oh, and you forgot handball. Altought we never had a chance for that one...

Canada has one provisional spot in men's beach volleyball, Canada has the 19th spot currently with Cadieux and Heese. Brazil, Gerrmany and the Netherlands have a combined 5 spots not given because of too many teams already in qualifying positions, Canada would probably qualify as the 23rd team as the current provisional rankings don't include any American teams. Cooke-Martin if they play well can still qualify.

Canada has one provisional spot in men's beach volleyball, Canada has the 19th spot currently with Cadieux and Heese. Brazil, Gerrmany and the Netherlands have a combined 5 spots not given because of too many teams already in qualifying positions, Canada would probably qualify as the 23rd team as the current provisional rankings don't include any American teams. Cooke-Martin if they play well can still qualify.

The duo Sarah Maxwell and Marie-Andrée Lessard can also be considered as a potential qualifier. Off course, due to the recent money problem affair, it will be harder for them

And yes, USA's team have allready their two teams in good position in the provisional ranking.

Misty May and Kerri Walsh are presently in first place in front of Juliana and Larissa from Brazil.

Nicole Branagh and Elaine Youngs are at 6th spot, but the duo Jennifer Boss and April Ross is stronger and will probably steal them the second ticket for Beijing. (country can send a maximum of two teams)

• 4 weeks later...

Today, Canada got three more athletes qualified for Beijing at the Panamerican Women's Wrestling Championship held at Colorado Spring.

Tonya Verbeek (-55kg category)

Martine Dugrenier (-63kg category)

Ohenewa Akuffo (-72kg category)

I'm happy of that because I got a ticket for the saturday august 16th session (WR08) wich will involved the

-48kg's and the -55kg's Bronze medals fights and Gold medals fights at the China Agricultural University Gymnasium.

Tonya Verbeek won the Gold medal at Athens in 2004 (but she finished 9th at the last World Championship held at Baku in 2007)

Today, Canada got three more athletes qualified for Beijing at the Panamerican Women's Wrestling Championship held at Colorado Spring.

Tonya Verbeek (-55kg category)

Martine Dugrenier (-63kg category)

Ohenewa Akuffo (-72kg category)

I'm happy of that because I got a ticket for the saturday august 16th session (WR08) wich will involved the

-48kg's and the -55kg's Bronze medals fights and Gold medals fights at the China Agricultural University Gymnasium.

Tonya Verbeek won the Gold medal at Athens in 2004 (but she finished 9th at the last World Championship held at Baku in 2007)

Silver actually

Beginning today of the Men's Water-Polo Olympic Qualification Tournament in Romania.

(only the three top teams of this tournament will go to Beijing)

Canada lost their first match to Germany (6-11)

Next match for Canada is tomorrow against Iran

Canada is in Group B with Germany, Iran, Italy, Macedonia and Mexico.

Group A : Russia, Romania, Brazil, Greece, Kazakhstan and Slovakia

Note that Australia, China, Hungaria, Montenegro, Serbia, Spain and United States allready got their ticket to Beijing

Results of the other matches of Day 1 :

Sunday, 2 March 2008

Group A - Brazil vs. Greece 6-15

Group A - Russia vs. Kazakhstan 19-4

Group B - Mexico vs. Macedonia 9-18

Group B - Iran vs. Italy 2-20

Group A - Romania vs. Slovakia (tied 4-4 after the second quarter)

Well, its the end of the Pan-Ams wrestling championships. Canada qualified seven wrestlers (men's freestyle 60kg, 66kg and 74kg, men's greco-roman 120 kg and women's 55kg, 63kg and 72kg) to add to the two wrestlers qualified during the world championships (men's freestyle 84kg and women's 48kg).

We now have a full team of four for women's wrestling, and Canada's male wrestlers will have two more chance to qualify at the two Olympic Qualification Tournament.

Canada has qualified so far:

Wrestling - 9

Weightlifting - 3

Water Polo - 0

Volleyball - 0

Triathlon - 0

Tennis - 0

Taekwondo - 3

Table Tennis - 0

Synchronized Swimming - 0

Swimming - 0

Softball - 20ish

Shooting - 4

Sailing - 8 boats for 12 or 13 athletes

Rowing - 5 boats for 21 athletes

Modern Pentathlon - 2

Judo - 0

Handball - 0

Gymnastics - 8

Football - 0

Field Hockey - Men's for 20ish athletes

Fencing - 0

Equestrian - 12

Diving - 10 quotas for 9 athletes

Cycling - 8

Canoe/Kayaking - 6 boats for 6 athletes

Boxing - 1

Basketball - 0

Baseball - 0

Badminton - 0

Athletics - 0

Archery - 3

Actually Faster, we qualified at least 8 athletes in swimming (due to having some relays qualified), 16 in Field Hockey, 12 in Gymnastic (8 in artistic, 1 in rhythmic and 3 in trampoline), 15 in Softball, 11 in Sailing and 7 in Cycling.

Actually Faster, we qualified at least 8 athletes in swimming (due to having some relays qualified), 16 in Field Hockey, 12 in Gymnastic (8 in artistic, 1 in rhythmic and 3 in trampoline), 15 in Softball, 11 in Sailing and 7 in Cycling.

I had no idea how many athletes are on softball or field hockey teams

As for swimming

we have qualified 5 relays 10 freestylists and 2 each of the other, so roughly 16 athletes.

I had no idea how many athletes are on softball or field hockey teams

As for swimming

we have qualified 5 relays 10 freestylists and 2 each of the other, so roughly 16 athletes.

True, but technicaly a swimmer could swim more that a relay. But anyway, we won't have the athletic and swim team line-up until a while from now. To bad they don't have some kind of list that shows who archived the A and B standards for those sports...

Lots of events still to come

Canadian Swimming Trial (Montreal, April 1st to April 6th)

Women's Soccer Olympic Qualification Tournament (Chihuahua, Mexico, April 2th to April 13th)

North American Ping Pong Olympic Qualification Tournament, (North Vancouver, April 4th to April 6th)

Second Boxing Olympic Qualification Tournament (Guatemala City, Guatemala, April 23th to April 30th)

(now, we have only one qualified, Adam Trupish (69kg category)

Continental Canoe-Kayak (flat) Olympic Qualification (Montreal, May 15th to May 18th)

Synchro Swimming Olympic Qualification Tournament (Beijing, China, June 16th to June 20th)

plus

Every stage of the Swatch-FIBV Beach Volleyball Tour will give points who will determine who will compete in Beijing

Same thing for the Tennis with the ATP and WTA points ranking

plus

Canadian Track and Field Championship (Windsor, Ontario, July 3th to July 6th) will also sent some athletes to Beijing if they meet the standards

and also

Men's Basketball team will have a last chance in a Tournament in Athens, Greece (July 14th to July 20th) (they will play the 15th against Slovenia and the 16th against Korea, (they are in Group C))

Others sports will also have qualification but I don't care since it's not sports where I bought tickets

Men´s Water-Polo Olympic Games Qualification Tournament in Oradea, Romania

Results day 2

Monday, 3 March 2008

Group A - Kazakhstan vs. Brazil 6-9

Group B - Macedonia vs. Italy 5-14

Group B - Canada vs. Iran 15-5

Group B - Mexico vs. Germany 1-29

Group A - Romania vs. Russia 11-8

Group A - Slovakia vs. Greece 9-11

Current standings

Group A: Germany 4, Italy 4, Macedonia 2, Canada 2, Iran 0, Mexicon 0.

Group B: Greece 4, Romania 4, Russia 2, Brazil 2, Slovakia 0, Kazakhstan 0.

Schedule day 3

Tuesday, 4 March 2008

13:00 A Italy vs. Canada

14:30 A Germany vs. Macedonia

16:00 A Mexico vs. Iran

17:30 B Greece vs. Kazakhstan

19:00 B Romania vs. Brazil

20:30 B Russia vs. Slovakia

Huge surprise today, Canada tied with Italy

Men´s FINA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament in Oradea, Romania

Results day 3

Tuesday, 4 March 2008

Group A Italy vs. Canada 7-7

Group A Germany vs. Macedonia 9-4

Group A Mexico vs. Iran 8-8

Group B Greece vs. Kazakhstan 18-8

Group B Brazil vs. Romania 4-13

Group B Russia vs. Slovakia 12-3

Current standings

Group A: Germany 6, Italy 5, Canada 3, Macedonia 2, Iran 1, Mexico 1.

Group B: Romania 6, Greece 6, Russia 4, Brazil 2, Kazakhstan 0.

Schedule day 4

Wednesday, 5 March 2008

13:00 A Macedonia vs. Canada

14:30 A Mexico vs. Italy

16:00 A Germany vs. Iran

17:30 B Slovakia vs. Kazakhstan

19:00 B Russia vs. Brazil

20:30 B Romania vs. Greece

Well, Canada's performance against Italy is a good sign for things to come. I hope Canada will qualify. I love Water Polo and I would be quite sad not to have a Canadian team to cheer for...

Well, Canada's performance against Italy is a good sign for things to come. I hope Canada will qualify. I love Water Polo and I would be quite sad not to have a Canadian team to cheer for...

I would be a little more confident against Romania, Canada has a good track-record against them compared to Russia and Greece

Men´s FINA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament in Oradea, Romania

Results day 4

Wednesday, 5 March 2008

Group A - Macedonia vs. Canada 7-12

Group A - Mexico vs. Italy 4-25

Group A - Germany vs. Iran 18-2

Group B - Slovakia vs. Kazakhstan 18-5

Group B - Russia vs. Brazil 11-3

Group B - Romania vs. Greece 7-8

Current standings

Group A: Germany 8, Italy 7, Canada 5, Macedonia 2, Iran 1, Mexico 1.

Group B: Greece 8, Romania 6, Russia 6, Slovakia 2, Brazil 2, Kazakhstan 0.

Schedule day 5

Thursday, 6 March 2008

13:00 A Italy vs. Germany

14:30 A Mexico vs. Canada

16:00 B Brazil vs. Slovakia

17:30 B Greece vs. Russia

19:00 A Iran vs. Macedonia

20:30 B Romania vs. Kazakhstan

Canadian Women's Soccer Team beat Russia 2-1 today at the first day of the Cyprus Cup.

This tournament is for Canada their final preparation before the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament which will be held in Mexico from April 2th to April 12th2 to April 12.

Canada will need to finish among the first two (of six teams) to get their ticket to Beijing.

Canada had missed the Athens Games in 2004 after being surprised by the Mexican in the same qualifying tournament.

Bad news for me, I have ticket for the Men's 10m platform semis hoping to see Alexandre Despaties and he just announced today that he decided to not compete.

Here's an article with the full story :

Despatie decided to abandon the tower

Wednesday 05 March 2008

REGINA - The diver triple world champion Alexandre Despatie confirmed Wednesday that it has abandoned the race of the 10-metre tower for this season to concentrate solely on the three-meter springboard and the springboard synchronized three-meter for the Olympic Games in Beijing.

Despatie was in Regina this week for the national championships Winter dive, which will take place from Thursday to Sunday at the Aquatic Centre Lawson. Despatie, the world champion in the tower in 2003, following the example of the majority of the world's best divers.

"Best in the World focus now on a springboard," said Despatie, aged 22, who has suffered neck and back that have affected his training at the tower 10 metres at the last seasons. Moreover, I have not led at the same level this season to the tower. "

More recently, Despatie did not participate in the race to the tower at the World Cup FINA last month in Beijing. At the World Cup, he won the bronze medal in the springboard synchronized three-meter with her partner Arturo Miranda, Pointe-Claire, Quebec, and he finished fifth in three-meter springboard. He took the decision to abandon the tower 10 metres after the World Cup.

"It was a difficult decision. But I am pursuing my dream of winning a gold medal at the Olympics and after discussing it with my coach and my family, I believe that my best chance is to devote all my energy to the tests in the three-meter springboard individual and synchronized. "

Despatie will be one of the most popular diving this week with Reuben Ross, of Regina, which will participate in a competition among them for the first time in five years. Ross seeks an Olympic win this season in three-meter springboard and the tower. Ross assured Canada with a second place in three-meter springboard at the World Cup. The selections for the Olympic team will be made in June.

"I think I have a good chance to make the team in both events," said Ross, aged 22. I greatly improved my strength. It makes a big difference, especially at this season springboard. My goal here is simply to focus on my dives and working on the details. "

Other Canadian divers are to monitor Riley McCormick of Victoria and Nicolas Leblanc, of Longueuil, Quebec, in turn, and Eric Sehn of Edmonton, the three-meter springboard.

Among women, among the best divers ago Emilie Heymans of St-Lambert, Quebec, and Marie-Eve Marleau and Roseline Filion, both of Laval, in turn, and Blythe Hartley of North Vancouver, Jennifer Abel, Laval, and Rachel Kemp, Victoria, the three-meter springboard.

The national championships winter crown national champions in 10 events, including synchronized diving. Furthermore, the results of the competition will select the Canadian teams that will participate in the Grand Prix circuit of FINA this spring, including Canada Cup to be held in Montreal from 1 to 4 May.