Canada's Olympic Team

taichi

I know this is early but I just excited about Canada's team. I hope Canada will announce who will carry the flag in the Opening Ceremony. I heard that Canada is sending Men's Field Hockey. I hope I could see Alexandre Despatie, Kyle Shewfelt, or Perdita Felicien. I hope we get some medals.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a look at what we qualified so far, by sports:

Archery: 3 men (full quota, also qualified for team event), sadly so far no women qualified.

Boxing: One weight category (-69kg)

Canoeing: Men's K1 slalom, men's K1-500m, K1-1000m, K2-500m and C-500m.

Cycling: 3 athletes in men's road race, 1 men time-trialist, at least one athlete in men's mountain biking.

Diving: one team of men's 3m synchro and women's 10m synchro, 2 divers in men's and women's 10m and one diver in men's and women's 3m

Equestrian: Full team

Gymnastic: Full 6 member men's team in artistic gymnastic, 2 women in artistic gymnastic, one individual rhythmic gymnast, two athletes in women's trampoline and one in men's trampoline.

Field Hockey: Men's team qualified

Modern Penthatlon: One men and one women qualified

Rowing: Men's 8, Men's LW 4, Women's Pair, Women's Quadruple Scull and Women's LW Double Scull

Sailing: Men's RS:X, Men's Laser, Men's 470, Women's RS:X, Women's Laser Radical, 49er (open event), Finn (open event)

Shooting: 4 quotas (men's 50m riffle prone, men's trap, women's 10m air pistol and women's trap)

Softball: Women's team

Swimming: Every relay but men's 4x100m medley

Taekwondo: 3 weight class (-80kg men, -49kg women and -67kg women)

Weightlifting: 3 womens

Wrestling: 3 weight class (Men's 84kg Freestyle, Women's 48kg and Women's 55kg)

It is to be noted that, from Canada's point of view, qualification is still ongoing for every sports but Equestrian, Gymnastic, Shooting, Softball, Taekwondo and Handball (in which we never had any chance to qualify anyway...).

Here is a look at what we qualified so far, by sports:

Archery: 3 men (full quota, also qualified for team event), sadly so far no women qualified.

Boxing: One weight category (-69kg)

Canoeing: Men's K1 slalom, men's K1-500m, K1-1000m, K2-500m and C-500m.

Cycling: 3 athletes in men's road race, 1 men time-trialist, at least one athlete in men's mountain biking.

Diving: one team of men's 3m synchro and women's 10m synchro, 2 divers in men's and women's 10m and one diver in men's and women's 3m

Equestrian: Full team

Gymnastic: Full 6 member men's team in artistic gymnastic, 2 women in artistic gymnastic, one individual rhythmic gymnast, two athletes in women's trampoline and one in men's trampoline.

Field Hockey: Men's team qualified

Modern Penthatlon: One men and one women qualified

Rowing: Men's 8, Men's LW 4, Women's Pair, Women's Quadruple Scull and Women's LW Double Scull

Sailing: Men's RS:X, Men's Laser, Men's 470, Women's RS:X, Women's Laser Radical, 49er (open event), Finn (open event)

Shooting: 4 quotas (men's 50m riffle prone, men's trap, women's 10m air pistol and women's trap)

Softball: Women's team

Swimming: Every relay but men's 4x100m medley

Taekwondo: 3 weight class (-80kg men, -49kg women and -67kg women)

Weightlifting: 3 womens

Wrestling: 3 weight class (Men's 84kg Freestyle, Women's 48kg and Women's 55kg)

It is to be noted that, from Canada's point of view, qualification is still ongoing for every sports but Equestrian, Gymnastic, Shooting, Softball, Taekwondo and Handball (in which we never had any chance to qualify anyway...).

There is special allocation places still in Shooting.

I am surprised and somewhat saddened that Susan Natrass has not qualified, she is the defending Pan American champion in women's trap.

Sandra Honor might have gotten Canada there quota, but it is still up to the COC on how to use it: Susan Natrass might very well go to Beijing.

By the way, the Canadian Olympic Trials in Wrestling are now underway. I am sad to say that Jonathan Rioux, who happens to be my friend's cousin, only finished third in his weight class (-84kg Freestyle, which happens to be the only men's one in which Canada qualified so far), and, consequently, he will not make it to Beijing. Oh well, at least New-Brunswick should still be represented in Rowing (women's pair), and Rioux is still a good prospect for 2012.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/feature/?fid=11153

TSN shows what Canada has qualified for so far.

Fox334, where did you get your list from? Yours seems to be more up-to-date.

Wikipedia is gravely underestimated (and don't worry, I did double-check everything on either the IF websites or the websites of the event organisers, and everything is indeed correct).

As for TSN's list, its rather lame...

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/feature/?fid=11153

TSN shows what Canada has qualified for so far.

Fox334, where did you get your list from? Yours seems to be more up-to-date.

Thank you for the list of Canadian athletes!

Darn, no Women's Water Polo. I wanted to see them.

They (along whit our men's water polo team) still have a decent chance to qualify.

Darn, no Women's Water Polo. I wanted to see them.

The qualification tournament for Women Water Polo will be held in Trieste Italy from 19 to 24th of february.

Canada have good chance to qualify.

I had the chance to see them play three weeks ago against Australia, Russia and USA National Team in Montreal.

The funny thing is that at one moment during this tournament (the friday night), in the same time we saw the Canadian Water-Polo National Team in the pool, the spectator in the stand had the chance to also watch the rehearsal of the Canadian Synchronized Swimming Team in a adjacent pool.

A two for one for us.

They finished third in Montreal, correct?

Anyway, I sure hope they make it (it would also be nice if te men's team qualified, altought it is far less likely...).

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to believe

At the Men's Indoor Volleyball qualification for Beijing for North America held at Caguas Puerto Rico,

Canada just defeat Cuba less than a minute ago (I watched it live on the web)

Canada won the first set 25-13

Cuba the second 25-19

Canada the third 26-24

Canada the fourth 25-20

Hard to believe

At the Men's Indoor Volleyball qualification for Beijing for North America held at Caguas Puerto Rico,

Canada just defeat Cuba less than a minute ago (I watched it live on the web)

Canada won the first set 25-13

Cuba the second 25-19

Canada the third 26-24

Canada the fourth 25-20

How many spots are available?

How many spots are available?

Only one spot available

Battle between 8 countries

Barbados, Canada, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Trinidad Tobago and USA

Two groups A and B

Canada defeated in is group Trinidad Tobago yesterday, Cuba today and will play against Mexico tomorrow.

So, they have good chance to finish first of their group.

That's signify they could meet in semifinals the winner of the match 2A-3B or the winner of the match 3A-2B

And if they win, probably play against USA who will surely finish first of the group A

I don't thing Canada will go all the away.

I mentionned earlier their victory against Cuba because it was an enormous surprise.

Don't forget, Cuba won the bronze at Athens games

Canada beating today the Cuban in indoor volleyball is like if Kenya beat Canada in ice hockey

Edited by Chateau Petrus

Only one spot available

Battle between 8 countries

Barbados, Canada, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Trinidad Tobago and USA

Two groups A and B

Canada defeated in is group Trinidad Tobago yesterday, Cuba today and will play against Mexico tomorrow.

So, they have good chance to finish first of their group.

That's signify they could meet in semifinals the winner of the match 2A-3B or the winner of the match 3A-2B

And if they win, probably play against USA who will surely finish first of the group A

I don't thing Canada will go all the away.

I mentionned earlier their victory against Cuba because it was an enormous surprise.

Don't forget, Cuba won the bronze at Athens games

Canada beating today the Cuban in indoor volleyball is like if Kenya beat Canada in ice hockey

Is this the final spot available though?? Is this the final chance?

There are three Olympic Qualifying tournaments

Tournament 1 - Germany, Europe, Asia and America

Tournament 2 - Portugal, Europe, Asia and America

Tournament 3 - Japan, Australia, South Korea, Iran, Thailand, Europe, Africa and Americas

1 and 2 have 1 sport, 3 has 2, one for winner, one for best Asian team

I wouldn't say Kenya and Canada in hockey

Cuba is ranked 17th and Canada is ranked 18th, only half a point separates them.

Is this the final spot available though?? Is this the final chance?

Olympic Games Beijing 2008

12 teams for Men

China + 3 teams qualified from World Cup + 5 teams from Continental Olympic Qualification Tournaments + 3 teams from World Olympic Qualification Tournaments :

1. China (host country)

2. Brazil (first place at the 2007 FIVB World Cup in Japan)

3. Russia (second place at the 2007 FIVB World Cup in Japan)

4. Bulgaria (third place at the 2007 FIVB World Cup in Japan)

5. (African Continental Qualification Tournament)

February 1-10, Johannesburg, South Africa

Teams: Algeria, Botswana, Cameroon, Gabon, Guinea-Conakry, Egypt, Kenya, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Liberia, Rwanda, Seychelles, South Africa, Tunisia, Uganda, Zimbabwe

6. (Asian Continental Qualification Tournament)

May 31-Jun. 8, Tokyo, Japan

Teams: Japan, Australia, Korea, Iran, Thailand

7. (European Continental Qualification Tournament)

January 7-13, Izmir, Turkey

Teams: Spain, Italy, Poland, Nederland, Turkey, Serbia, Germany, Finland

8. (Norceca Continental Qualification Tournament)

January 4-12, Caguas, Puerto Rico

Teams: Barbados, Canada, Cuba, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Trinidad & Tobago, USA

9. (South American Continental Qualification Tournament)

January 2-8, Formosa, Argentina

Teams: Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, Venezuela

10. (World Olympic Qualification Tournament - Germany)

May 23-25, Dusseldorf, Germany

4 teams: Germany + 3 teams decided by drawing of lots

11. (World Olympic Qualification Tournament - Japan)

May 31 - June 8, Tokyo, Japan

8 teams: Japan + 4 Asian teams best ranked in the Asian Continental Championship (Australia, Korea, Iran, Thailand) + 3 teams decided by drawing of lots.

12. (World Olympic Qualification Tournament - Portugal)

May 30 - June 1, Espinho, Portugal

4 teams: Portugal + 3 teams decided by drawing of lots

For 10, 11 and 12 (World Olympic Qualification Tournament) :

Drawing of lots: 3 best ranked teams from Europe, 2 from Norceca, 1 from South America, 1 from Africa, 2 from Asia (Indonesia, Chinese Taipei). The drawing of lots will be conducted in February 2008 in Japan, at the end of all Continental Olympic Qualification Tournaments

So, If Canada don't get is ticket in 8 (it should be USA or Cuba), they still have a chance to play in 10, 11 or 12 (if they finish second or third in 8)

During the thirty minutes I take to complete my recent post, I saw that faster was faster then me.

Our two scenario seems a little bit different.

Mine is more in detail.

And concerning the Kenya hockey thing, I said that without being serious.

I'm perfectly aware of the present world ranking.

But you have too agree that Cuba have a much bigger history then Canada in volleyball :

Montreal 1976 Cuba : Bronze Medal (men)

Barcelone 1992 Cuba : Gold Medal (women)

Atlanta 1996 Cuba : Gold Medal (women)

Sydney 2000 Cuba : Gold Medal (women)

Athens 2004 Cuba : Bronze Medal (women)

I thing Canada will never be able to came close to that.

After Boxing, volleyball seems to be maybe their second best sports

Reason why I wrote (with humor) about today's victory that it was a huge surprise as is Kenya beat us in hockey.

Edited by Chateau Petrus