Will Baku Withdraw To Give Way For Rio De Janeiro?

Since Europe (Azerbaijan belongs to the European NOCs) has already hosted the Summer Olympics several times, but South America not.

And those clowns on that artical called em "Asian" ! Well then , if Baku is european they should host either. In fact , this would bid borders crazy right next to that fake bid from Kenya .

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Baku or anyone should withdraw to give way to Rio. It would say little for Rio if the Games were just handed over, as if they couldn't win the games otherwise.

But Baku?

One could also ask the same of Baku. Would Rio withdraw to give way to Baku? I'm pretty sure that Rio has a lot more support than does Baku. Baku needs as much international support as possible to stay in the race. To be honest, I'm genuinely really excited to see what they put forth. Once I understood the context of the logo and saw the logo in Olympic colors, I think it looks okay... better than Prague anyway.

And those clowns on that artical called em "Asian" ! Well then , if Baku is european they should host either. In fact , this would bid borders crazy right next to that fake bid from Kenya .

I don't think Kenya has faked anything. Putting forward a bid doesn't you will win even on the most tranparent ground. I beleive they just want try and there's nothing wrong in trying. Or is there anything wrong in that? We should learn to see beyond borders and affluences.

• 3 weeks later...
Since Europe (Azerbaijan belongs to the European NOCs) has already hosted the Summer Olympics several times, but South America not.

Azerbaijan is an Asian country, not european. They are joining the Asian Games so I don't know where you get that information.

I don't think Baku or anyone should withdraw to give way to Rio. It would say little for Rio if the Games were just handed over, as if they couldn't win the games otherwise.

But Baku?

One could also ask the same of Baku. Would Rio withdraw to give way to Baku? I'm pretty sure that Rio has a lot more support than does Baku. Baku needs as much international support as possible to stay in the race. To be honest, I'm genuinely really excited to see what they put forth. Once I understood the context of the logo and saw the logo in Olympic colors, I think it looks okay... better than Prague anyway.

Rio should win the Olympic honors with tough opposition. It should not be given on a silver platter.

Azerbaijan is an Asian country, not european. They are joining the Asian Games so I don't know where you get that information.

Azerbaijan is a European NOC, check your source (Olympic Council of Asia NOC members) before posting this kind of definitive post.

http://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/print/aj.html&sa=X&oi=answers&ct=result&usg=AFQjCNHqTEPrNdW8Qw3IMP9meBlz8GJp8g

Azerbaijan is located in Southwestern Asia, bordering the Caspian Sea, between Iran and Russia, with a small European portion. it means it is in Asia.

Azerbaijan is a European NOC, check your source (Olympic Council of Asia NOC members) before posting this kind of definitive post.

http://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/print/aj.html&sa=X&oi=answers&ct=result&usg=AFQjCNHqTEPrNdW8Qw3IMP9meBlz8GJp8g

Azerbaijan is located in Southwestern Asia, bordering the Caspian Sea, between Iran and Russia, with a small European portion. it means it is in Asia.

I know where Azerbaijan is located thank you very much (I have been there for work).

It remains that Azerbaijan is considered as a European NOC by the Olympic Movement: Azerbaijan is a member of the European Olympic Committees and organises European Championships.

From a political point of view, Azerbaijan is also trying to establish greater ties with Europe than it is with Asia.

I know where Azerbaijan is located thank you very much (I have been there for work).

It remains that Azerbaijan is considered as a European NOC by the Olympic Movement: Azerbaijan is a member of the European Olympic Committees and organises European Championships.

From a political point of view, Azerbaijan is also trying to establish greater ties with Europe than it is with Asia.

Thanks bro! I try to explain it for several times at different forums. Most of the people don't want even to hear about european Azerbaijan. They see it in the Middle East, West Asia and in Cucasus, but no way for Europe :(

I show them proof of its european belonging through the organizations (Council of Europe, OSCE, EBU, european sport organizations etc.) but no way again.

Azerbaijan is georgaphically asian and partly european, but on the other hand it is in Europe if Caucasus considerered as a part of Europe. But politically and economically it is tied with Europe rather than Asia. Eurointegration is one of the aims of our government.

Thanks bro! I try to explain it for several times at different forums. Most of the people don't want even to hear about european Azerbaijan. They see it in the Middle East, West Asia and in Cucasus, but no way for Europe :(

I show them proof of its european belonging through the organizations (Council of Europe, OSCE, EBU, european sport organizations etc.) but no way again.

Azerbaijan is georgaphically asian and partly european, but on the other hand it is in Europe if Caucasus considerered as a part of Europe. But politically and economically it is tied with Europe rather than Asia. Eurointegration is one of the aims of our government.

Yeah - they've pulled this labeling crap with Turkey all this time.

Sadly, we're still dealing with it from certain prejudice European politicans who try paint an only "Asian" image of Turkey, even though all facts indicate that this isn't correctly the case at all.

Azerbaijan is formerly part of the USSR but when that country split up, they became a part of Asia. Southwest Asia. Thanks James for proving my point. :)

I think what you are saying here is that Azerbaijan is actually Asian, but since the country is proximate to Europe, it wants to join the wealthy European Union. But that won't make it European. Turkey is outside the official Euroasia border itself.

I think what you are saying here is that Azerbaijan is actually Asian, but since the country is proximate to Europe, it wants to join the wealthy European Union. But that won't make it European. Turkey is outside the official European border itself.

I think what you are saying here is that Azerbaijan is actually Asian, but since the country is proximate to Europe, it wants to join the wealthy European Union. But that won't make it European. Turkey is outside the official Euroasia border itself.

You guys are amazing, trying to categorise countries you most likely have never been to...

Azerbaijan is actually at the crossroad of the Russian, Persian and Turkish cultures. Baku is a very Mediterranean style city (it reminds me of Athens in some ways, with mosques though). That makes Azerbaijan a very interesting country but very difficult to label though. The only thing I can say is that Azerbaijan is much more European that Kazakstan while the two countries are only separated by the Caspian sea.

Anyhow, the whole discussion is pointless since most of economical, political and sports organisations recognise Azerbaijan as European.

If Cyprus (which is a geographical extension of Anatolia [i.e Asia Minor]) can be inclosed as part of the European border, than so too can Turkey and the 3 Caucasus nations.

You guys are amazing, trying to categorise countries you most likely have never been to...

Azerbaijan is actually at the crossroad of the Russian, Persian and Turkish cultures. Baku is a very Mediterranean style city (it reminds me of Athens in some ways, with mosques though). That makes Azerbaijan a very interesting country but very difficult to label though. The only thing I can say is that Azerbaijan is much more European that Kazakstan while the two countries are only separated by the Caspian sea.

Anyhow, the whole discussion is pointless since most of economical, political and sports organisations recognise Azerbaijan as European.

Then maybe we should move the Ural mountains further east, just outside the Indian border. Then you can include the middle east and the entire southwest Asia to EU. :D

Archived