1st Anniversary Of Doha 2006 Asian Games

rav3n

4940.jpg

Well, looks like the time surely goes fast :lol:. A little late, but today is the first anniversary of the 15th Asian Games in Doha, Qatar, 2006. One year ago, the arab country unveiled their potencial to host big scale sport events, but i think maybe we should talk a little about these games and our present opinion about them.

One day like today, the opening ceremony of the games were held at Khalifa International Stadium. The guys in charge of it were David Atkins Productions (they will work again in 2010 for Vancouver 2010 ceremonies 8) )

fireworks.jpg

astrolobeGALL.jpg

horsetorch.jpg

starcauldron.jpg

Some pics from the sort events:

72793597_10.jpg

72772375_10.jpg

72772321_10.jpg

72701671_10.jpg

72699970_10.jpg

And for anyone interested, the website still exists today (but maybe it will dissapear soon): http://www.doha-2006.com/

• 4 weeks later...

OK, accidentally came back to this thread. I have 2 questions:

1. About consideration for membership in the Asian Games:

a. Oz -- since they have moved Oz to the Asian bracket in both soccer and volleyball, will it be down the line now?

b. Russia - since Russia considers itself a bi-coastal power (why should it just be the US?), why isn't Russia a player in the Asian Games roster -- especially if Turkey is?

c. China - I guess China (and Japan) would not look too kindly with the full inclusion of Oz and Russia into AG membership, huh? But it would be good for competition.

2.. about a multi-sport event being staged in an Arab country: for those who worked those Games - so did they just have (Arab?) women serving as attendants in the women's locker rooms, or did they have non-Arab women doing those chores? Just curious, and assessing Doha's 2016 aspirations.

a. Oz -- since they have moved Oz to the Asian bracket in both soccer and volleyball, will it be down the line now?

I doubt , there were many unhappy Arab nations against Australia AFC membership. Actually , Australia is clasified as part of the ASEAN (South East Asia) area by the AFC. However , they haven't done much in this area.

Archived