Austria-switzerland 2008

I am just going by how it goes in the WC and the world cup brackets it 1st in A in the same bracket as 1st in C and 1st in B with 1st in D. It doesn't make sense any other way because it means that there is no diversification in match ups.

Regardless of whether it makes sense or not: It's simply how the EURO 2008 match schedule is designed. So why do you want to predict an impossible constellation for the final?

I actually think the UEFA website is wrong since the previous three tournaments follow the

1A

2B

(...)

format

Yes, but that doesn't mean that it's always the same at every EURO. The previous EUROs didn't have only one venue for the group seeds either.

And why do you think one can't trust the UEFA website? They provide the official information about the tournament!

Here's also an official PDF file from the summer of 2006 which confirms the schedule listed on the UEFA website:

Match Schedule (PDF)

And also Wikipedia confirms it:

Wikipedia - UEFA Euro 2008

You're a little bit too mistrustful, I reckon.

And here are the OFFICIAL groups for EURO 2008! (The draw has just been completed)

Group A

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Portugal

Turkey

Group B

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Group C

Netherlands

Italy

Romania

France

Group D

Greece

Sweden

Spain

Russia

And there we have it, a definite group of death with group C -- all four teams will have a very tough time.

Switzerland has to repeat the scandalous match of the World Cup 2006 play-offs against Turkey and has tough opponents with the Czech Republic and Portugal.

Germany is incredibly lucky of having been drawn to the Austrian group and playing once more against the legendary opponent of the 2006 World Cup, Poland. Croatia is probably the toughest opponent.

And Greece meets Spain and Russia again, just like at EURO 2004. Only Sweden is the "new" team in that group.

I'm incredibly relieved for my own team, but I also feel sorry for the teams in group C.

I'm rubbing my hands with glee at Group C. And don't underestimate Romania either. Germany's group looks fairly good on paper but Poland and Austria particularly will be keen to put one over on them. Both the other groups are tough as well. Typical Euro draw.

I histerically laughed when I knew the draws. It's gonna be tremendously interesting and it could bring back my interest for the Euros again after 2004 which didn't thrill me much. It's just sad that only two of these four teams could go on though..

France apart, we should also pay attention to Romania.. may be the strongest team from eastern europe with some good players grown in our league.

As for Holland, I well remember last time we met them. The neverending 2000 Euro's semi. First time we won a match on penalities since a while!

I wouldn't say any of the groups is especially dull. More so than the World Cup, almost every team at a European Championship has a shot at winning it.

Given the size of the stadia hosting matches, part of me is quite relieved that England aren't there.

I wouldn't say any of the groups is especially dull. More so than the World Cup, almost every team at a European Championship has a shot at winning it.

Given the size of the stadia hosting matches, part of me is quite relieved that England aren't there.

I mean how interesting can Greece vs Russia be? Or any game with Greece in it, you remember the bore that was Portugal, the best games were Portugal v Netherlands, England v Portugal and England v France

The best game at Euro 2004 was Holland against the Czech Republic, which I rate as one of the finest internationals I've ever seen. As for Greece, I can't be bored by watching so-called top teams fail to break down a solid defence.

Oh yes, I forgot that match.

• 2 months later...

Archived