Austria-switzerland 2008

So the draw is on tomorrow!

There are 256 possible groups, some interesting some completely mundane.

My hopes for the groupings

Group A

Switzerland

Croatia

Romania

Turkey

Group B

Greece

Italy

Portugal

Poland

Group C

Netherlands

Czech Republic

Spain

France

Group D

Austria

Sweden

Germany

Russia

the only worst group for france that that is to have italy and germany in it!

You can say that again. That group would be a nightmare also for the German team -- and I guess, for the Dutch and Italians, too.

By the way, I've done a draw of my own recently and got these groups:

Group A

Switzerland

Italy

Romania

France

Group B

Austria

Croatia

Portugal

Russia

Group C

Netherlands

Czech Republic

Spain

Poland

Group D

Greece

Sweden

Germany

Turkey

And here are the OFFICIAL groups for EURO 2008! (The draw has just been completed)

Group A

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Portugal

Turkey

Group B

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Group C

Netherlands

Italy

Romania

France

Group D

Greece

Sweden

Spain

Russia

And there we have it, a definite group of death with group C -- all four teams will have a very tough time.

Switzerland has to repeat the scandalous match of the World Cup 2006 play-offs against Turkey and has tough opponents with the Czech Republic and Portugal.

Germany is incredibly lucky of having been drawn to the Austrian group and playing once more against the legendary opponent of the 2006 World Cup, Poland. Croatia is probably the toughest opponent.

And Greece meets Spain and Russia again, just like at EURO 2004. Only Sweden is the "new" team in that group.

I'm incredibly relieved for my own team, but I also feel sorry for the teams in group C.

France and Italy again! Hope the Dutch thrash 'em both!

That really is a toughy. My adopted team (Czech Republic probably, though I might change my mind between now and next year) have got a reasonable draw and should get through to the knockouts hopefully!

Gutted that we're not there though.

I don't care, Germany is in a good group for once at this tournament and is in the easier side of the brackets. I am a little annoyed by Turkey's group, I was hoping for much worse than them. There will be some definite great matches in this tournament

Germany vs Poland

Netherlands vs Italy

Netherlands vs France

France vs Italy

Romania vs Netherlands

I remember seeing Austria in group D so that Switzerland and Austria were at opposite ends. I think that both Switzerland and Austria are heading to join the lonely Belgium as the only hosts to not make it out of the group stage.

Poland vs Croatia and Croatia vs Germany are gonna be security nightmares because of the Croatian fans and than on top of it you have Poland vs Germany in Germany's backyard.

There is some amussingness to the draw

Switzerland and Turkey together again

Germany and Poland

France and Italy

Netherlands and Romania

Russia, Spain and Greece

By the way, here are some nice pictures of all EURO venues after their renovation or construction has been completed:

ernsthappelstadion_dpa_400.jpg

Vienna: Ernst-Happel-Stadion; 50,000 seats

Venue for the matches Austria-Croatia (June 8), Austria-Poland (June 12) and Austria-Germany (June 16)

woertherseestadion_dpa_400.jpg

Klagenfurt: Wörthersee-Stadion; 30,000 seats

Venue for the matches Germany-Poland (June 8), Croatia-Germany (June 12) and Poland-Croatia (June 16)

tivoli_dpa_400.jpg

Innsbruck: Stadion Tivoli NEU; 30,000 seats

Venue for the matches Spain-Russia (June 10), Sweden-Spain (June 14) and Russia-Sweden (June 18)

walssiezenheim_dpa_400.jpg

Salzburg: Stadion Salzburg Wals-Siezenheim; 30,000 seats

Venue for the matches Greece-Sweden (June 10), Greece-Russia (June 14) and Greece-Spain (June 18)

To be continued...

stjakobspark_dpa_400.jpg

Basle: St.-Jakob-Park; 42,500 seats

Venue for the matches Switzerland-Czech Republic (opening match; June 7), Switzerland-Turkey (June 11) and Switzerland-Portugal (June 15); additionally of two quarterfinals (June 19/21) and one semifinal (June 25)

stadedegeneve_dpa_400.jpg

Geneva: Stade de Genève; 30,000 seats

Venue for the matches Portugal-Turkey (June 7), Czech Republic-Portugal (June 11) and Turkey-Czech Republic (June 15)

letzigrund_dpa_400.jpg

Zurich: Letzigrund; 30,000 seats

Venue for the matches Romania-France (June 9), Italy-Romania (June 13) and France-Italy (June 17)

wankdorfstadion_dpa_400.jpg

Berne: Stade de Suisse Wankdorf; 32,000 seats

Venue for the matches Netherlands-Italy (June 9), Netherlands-France (June 13) and Netherlands-Romania (June 17)

I forgot to mention in the previous post that Vienna's Ernst-Happel-Stadion will also host two quarterfinals (June 20/22), one semifinal (June 26) and the final (June 29).

That seems quite a small stadium for a Euro final.

Well, Rotterdam's De Kuip wasn't bigger. But at least Belgium/Netherlands had two additional 50,000-seaters while Austria/Switzerland has only the stadium in Vienna. And of course we're spoiled by the spacious Estadio da Luz in Lisbon which had more than 65,000 seats. And not to forget Wembley in 1996...

I think that, regarding the rising interest in football, this is the last EURO with such small stadia. Already Poland/Ukraine plan a lot bigger, with many 40,000-and-more-seaters, a 70,000-seater (Warsaw's National Stadium) and even a 83,000-seater (Kiev's Olympic Stadium, the venue for the final). I think they'll fill those easily.

Group A

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Portugal

Turkey

Group B

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Group C

Netherlands

Italy

Romania

France

Group D

Greece

Sweden

Spain

Russia

My prediction who will qualify :

Group A :

Czech Republic

Portugal

Group B :

Germany

Croatia

Group C :

Italy

France

Group D :

Spain

Greece

:)

I'll go for:

Group A:

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Group B:

Germany

Croatia

Group C:

Italy

France

Group D:

Greece

Spain

Then we'd have the following quarterfinals:

Switzerland-Croatia

Germany-Czech Republic

Italy-Spain

Greece-France

My prediction for the semifinals:

Switzerland-Germany

Italy-France (for the fifth time within only two years!)

And the final:

Germany-Italy

And I don't want to predict who would become European Champion then. Too close to call. ;)

Swiss to top Group A? Interesting.

I guess that Portugal, judging by their performance at the qualifiers, won't play that convincing next summer. And Switzerland is a young, very motivated team with a strong home advantage (the Swiss supporters go nuts for their team!). They remind me a lot of our team at the World Cup. So I guess they'll show a strong performance, too.

I guess that Portugal, judging by their performance at the qualifiers, won't play that convincing next summer. And Switzerland is a young, very motivated team with a strong home advantage (the Swiss supporters go nuts for their team!). They remind me a lot of our team at the World Cup. So I guess they'll show a strong performance, too.

I forgot to add: Also the Czech Republic will probably be impressed by the strong showing of Switzerland at the opening match -- and will have certain difficulties especially against Turkey. That's why I only rank them second in their group.

And here are the OFFICIAL groups for EURO 2008! (The draw has just been completed)

Group A

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Portugal

Turkey

Group B

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Group C

Netherlands

Italy

Romania

France

Group D

Greece

Sweden

Spain

Russia

And there we have it, a definite group of death with group C -- all four teams will have a very tough time.

Switzerland has to repeat the scandalous match of the World Cup 2006 play-offs against Turkey and has tough opponents with the Czech Republic and Portugal.

Germany is incredibly lucky of having been drawn to the Austrian group and playing once more against the legendary opponent of the 2006 World Cup, Poland. Croatia is probably the toughest opponent.

And Greece meets Spain and Russia again, just like at EURO 2004. Only Sweden is the "new" team in that group.

I'm incredibly relieved for my own team, but I also feel sorry for the teams in group C.

Heres my full prediction.

Group A

Portugal

Turkey

Group B

Germany

Croatia

Group C

Italy

France/Netherlands

Group D

Sweden

Spain

The Greeks will have to cause an upset to go beyond the first round. I think the Greeks will have the same fate the Danish did in '96. The Dutch last two matches were rather lousy but if they put their act together , they might get though. The Italians & French have a weak spot , we all know how Scotland beat France in Paris and the French beating the Italians so I won't count them in.

Group A

Portugal

Czech Republic

Group B

Germany

Croatia

Group C

Netherlands

France

Group D

Sweden

Spain

Croatia over Portugal

Germany over Czech Republic

Netherlands over Spain

Sweden over France

Croatia over Netherlands

Germany over Sweden

Germany over Croatia in penalties

My prediction with the draw is that germany is the clear frontrunner but anything can happen of course in euro.

I wont judge teams by the way they qualified.

France was defeated by scotland and italy by france but still i think the two teams are great and can not be ruled out as the possible winner.

Same goes for the dutch.

In my opinion France and Italy are doing so well because at the moment they have a lot of players they can use at each post.They can replace a player easily without hurting the team game.

And portugal with ronaldo,quaresma and deco have an incredible team.

Really it's gonna be an incredible euro and i think everybody can qualify for their group but i'm still staying with germany VS france ou italy as my final prediction until i see the other teams play in their first match in june.

Croatia over Portugal

Germany over Czech Republic

Netherlands over Spain

Sweden over France

Croatia over Netherlands

Germany over Sweden

Germany over Croatia in penalties

Sorry, but there's a fault in there again. The first semifinal is played between two teams from group A and/or group B, the second semifinal will have two teams from group C and/or group D. See here: EURO 2008 Match Schedule

So, in your scenario, the semifinals are Croatia-Germany and Netherlands-Sweden. And thus you have a different constellation in the final.

Sorry, but there's a fault in there again. The first semifinal is played between two teams from group A and/or group B, the second semifinal will have two teams from group C and/or group D. See here: EURO 2008 Match Schedule

So, in your scenario, the semifinals are Croatia-Germany and Netherlands-Sweden. And thus you have a different constellation in the final.

I am just going by how it goes in the WC and the world cup brackets it 1st in A in the same bracket as 1st in C and 1st in B with 1st in D. It doesn't make sense any other way because it means that there is no diversification in match ups.

A Germany v Holland final. That could be tasty.

Archived