Volunteering

vol2010

Curious as to who here will be applying to volunteer during the Games? Pre-Games events? Already volunteering?

If so, do you have previous OWG experience? How much volunteer experience? How about special skills that set you apart from the crowd?

How about sport specific minor officials (manual timers for cross county skiing, penalty box attendants for hockey, or ski jumping distance judges)?

I'm curious how easy or hard it will be to get selected for various positions.

Just a couple of months away from the launch of the volunteer registration program.

Comments?

1. How about sport specific minor officials (manual timers for cross county skiing, penalty box attendants for hockey, or ski jumping distance judges)?

2. I'm curious how easy or hard it will be to get selected for various positions.

1. The specific Federations fill most of those.

2. Depends on how much you're willing to put out. ;) Of course, if you're cute, I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

@ Kendegra: Well, I know a few people how took their free days for being a Volunteer.

In 2004 and 2006 I was a student - and if I should be chosen for Vancouver 2010, I would take 10 days off at my current job and would work there. Thats not the problem. The problem is that any Volunteer need to be trained and the duration of the training depends on the Volunteer position - some require a more intense training than others.

No you wouldn't because u are an extremely weird and bizarre person. I'm getting a little tired of your totally bizarre comments, j.

That's me. Life is not always pleasing all the time. So, don't be tired not until when your are dead.

I applied for a volunteer position for the Beijing 2008 games, but I'm not planning to apply for the Vancouver 2010 games simply because I can't afford a Manila-Vancouver roundtrip ticket.

Do foreigners really have a chance of getting accepted as volunteers for the Summer and Winter OGs? I dunnow, but it seems almost impossible to get accepted for a volunteer position given the number of locals interested to volunteer already. Anybody here applied for the previous games and got accepted? Any setbacks to being a volunteer?

I have been a volunteer in Athens and Torino.

Of course, being a native is always an advantage as it makes things easier for attending selection interview, training and finding accommodation. But, thanks to the internet, most of this can be done on line now.

This being said, if you speak at least one of the two IOC official languages (French and English), it's not impossible for a foreigner to be a volunteer. Being able to speak a few words of the host city language does not hurt.

I'm always curious about people who can volunteer. Great that you can, but how do you find the time? Unless you are a kid, a student, retired, inbetween jobs, or well off financially, how do you have the time to commit to what they require?

VACATIONS...

I know a lot a people taking their vacation to participate as volunteers to world majo sport events !!!

On the CTV News website today:

Vancouver Olympic organizers appeal for volunteers

Updated Wed. Dec. 5 2007 3:42 PM ET

The Canadian Press

The Vancouver Olympic Organizing Committee for the 2010 Games is looking for 25,000 volunteers to put out the welcome mat for the world.

Spokeswoman Donna Wilson said Wednesday that Canadians across the country have shown an interest in volunteering at the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Vancouver and Whistler.

"Every one of our provinces have indicated that they want to bring volunteers here,'' said Wilson, adding that more than 10 per cent of the volunteers will come from outside British Columbia, along with about one per cent from other countries.

Prospective volunteers can apply on the Net (www.vancouver2010.com, and through www.workopolis.com) starting Feb. 12 -- exactly two years before the opening ceremonies for the 2010 Games.

As for the ideal volunteer, Wilson said flexibility and commitment are key.

"We'll be talking to tens of thousands of people to make sure that you are the right fit to work with us in these Games,'' she said.

For the full article: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...1205?hub=Canada