Sea Games 2007

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already watched it, thanks to the help of a friend of mine. Not bad, i wouldn't be to demanding, remember that this is a regional event, not the olympics.

Vietnam, RP dominate SEA Games track and field

Agence France-Presse

r2918522882.jpg

KORAT, Thailand - Vietnam and the Philippines dominated the track-and-field competition at the SEA Games, clinching seven gold between them as records also tumbled here Saturday.

Vietnam won four gold -- the men's and women's 800 metres, the men's decathlon and the women's high jump.

The Philippines took the men's 3000m steeplechase, the women's long jump and the men's hammer thanks to Arniel Ferrera's record-breaking throw.

Ferrera bettered his own Games record of 60.47 meters with a throw of 60.98m for victory.

Three other SEA Games records also fell in front of an enthusiastic crowd, with Vietnam's Truong Thanh Hanh setting a new mark of 2:02.39 minutes in the women's 800m.

Indonesia's Triyaningsih smashed the women's 5000m record by more than 14 seconds, winning in a sizzling 15:54.32.

In the men's decathlon, Vietnam's Van Huyen Vu set a new record, scoring a total of 7457 points.

Defending champion Rene Herrera of the Philippines, who won the 3000m steeplechase, said he had been training at altitude to prepare for the conditions in Korat.

"It was very difficult, they gave me a good fight," the 28-year-old said of his rivals.

Dinh Cuong Nguyen, who won the men's 800 metres for Vietnam, was happy with his tactics in the race, biding his time before hitting the front.

"The support I get from Vietnam gives me strength," said the runner, 25, who had identified second-placed Midel Dique from the Philippines as a threat.

In other results, Malaysia took the men's 4x400m relay gold and Thailand won the women's race.

The Philippines' Marestella Torres won the long jump, leaping 6.31m and Vietnam's Bui Thi Nhung jumped 1.88m to win the women's high jump. The women's discus was won by Indonesia's Dwi Ratanawati, who threw 50.05m.

On the first day of the athletics competition Friday, the host nation won six track-and-field gold out of nine. Five SEA Games records were also set, including in the men's 100m.

Eleven nations are chasing more than 470 gold medals at the 24th SEA Games in more than 40 sports.

SEA Games participants are Brunei, Cambodia, East Timor, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Back from camping ! Heres the current tally

1 Thailand 45 52 27 124

2 Vietnam 23 11 26 60

3 Singapore 17 13 12 42

4 Philippines 15 14 28 57

5 Malaysia 9 10 21 40

6 Indonesia 9 10 13 32

7 Myanmar 2 9 6 17

8 Laos 2 0 1 3

9 Cambodia 0 1 4 5

Honestly , its very shocking to see Singapore holding up at 3rd. I think by the time the games end, Singapore will fall to 5th or 6th. BTW, Could anyone tell me who qualified for soccer tournament semis ?

Singapore did a good job getting 8 gold medals in shooting.. and they will really pile up more today with table tennis today and tomorrow.

Malaysia had a slow start, missing on good gold medal chances.. but we still have a good 50 or 55 more expected gold medalists, and maybe a few more surprises like we had in the swimming pool for the past couple of days.

No surprise Thailand would take the overall title, maybe getting about 150 gold medals, with Vietnam in 2nd.. Philippines 3rd, Malaysia 4th, Indonesia 5th, Singapore 6th...

That's my prediction.

Thailand 78 75 60 213

2 Vietnam 41 22 46 109

3 Singapore 32 26 22 80

4 Malaysia 24 21 45 90

5 Philippines 23 30 53 106

6 Indonesia 19 26 34 79

7 Myanmar 3 12 20 35

8 Laos 2 1 13 16

9 Cambodia 1 2 5 8

10 Brunei Darussalam 0 1 1 2

11 Timor Leste 0 0 0 0

the opening ceremony was cheesy, tacky, and seemed to drag on more than it should. The fireworks was the glimmer of wow in the whole proceedings.

though i am not thai, i do admire their king for being such an inspiring figure to the people, but for everything in the 8 performances to revolve around him, was really annoying. if this is what monarchies do, then we should be wary of London (joke).

the MC's were .......there.

the performances were not so "amazing" as their titles would suggest.

the lighting of the cauldron was overly dramatic, complete with lasers and whatnots. the flying logo was ....flying. the torch flame died when the final runner was going to light the flying logo.

a lot of yellow things, i'm not a fan of yellow.

though at least it provided the explanation for their logo which apparently is a sailing boat in honor of His Majesty's SEA sport where he won a gold medal.

and the theme song - "rythm of a winner" sounds a lot like the song "hot stuff"

maybe i expected too much since, Thailand used to be really good at these kinds of things, and their video propaganda on their ceremonies pumped up expectations so high since they chopped up a lot of really good ceremonies from the Asian Games.

the strength of these games is truly on their organizational expertise but not necessarily on the ceremonies which for many , is what truly counts.

if i rememebre correctly, the king also celebrated a milestone during the 1995 Chiang Mai Games but I don't rememebr anything close to king worship then. 1995 was really special. to me, it started the trend of spectacular ceremonies at least for ASEAN. after that Jakart was eaqually stunning, as was Bandar in 1999, KL, in 2001, and Vietnam in 2003. 2005 is on a league of its own.

that's hy I had personally high hopes for the opening since, Thailand is probably the expert in these sort of things in the region. I rememeber quite well how amazed i was when I saw the handover in 2005 which i watched live.

if the opening ceremonies isn't really as important, even for small regional events then why bother?

the opening ceremony was cheesy, tacky, and seemed to drag on more than it should. The fireworks was the glimmer of wow in the whole proceedings.

though i am not thai, i do admire their king for being such an inspiring figure to the people, but for everything in the 8 performances to revolve around him, was really annoying. if this is what monarchies do, then we should be wary of London (joke).

the MC's were .......there.

the performances were not so "amazing" as their titles would suggest.

the lighting of the cauldron was overly dramatic, complete with lasers and whatnots. the flying logo was ....flying. the torch flame died when the final runner was going to light the flying logo.

a lot of yellow things, i'm not a fan of yellow.

though at least it provided the explanation for their logo which apparently is a sailing boat in honor of His Majesty's SEA sport where he won a gold medal.

and the theme song - "rythm of a winner" sounds a lot like the song "hot stuff"

maybe i expected too much since, Thailand used to be really good at these kinds of things, and their video propaganda on their ceremonies pumped up expectations so high since they chopped up a lot of really good ceremonies from the Asian Games.

the strength of these games is truly on their organizational expertise but not necessarily on the ceremonies which for many , is what truly counts.

if i rememebre correctly, the king also celebrated a milestone during the 1995 Chiang Mai Games but I don't rememebr anything close to king worship then. 1995 was really special. to me, it started the trend of spectacular ceremonies at least for ASEAN. after that Jakart was eaqually stunning, as was Bandar in 1999, KL, in 2001, and Vietnam in 2003. 2005 is on a league of its own.

that's hy I had personally high hopes for the opening since, Thailand is probably the expert in these sort of things in the region. I rememeber quite well how amazed i was when I saw the handover in 2005 which i watched live.

if the opening ceremonies isn't really as important, even for small regional events then why bother?

3 more days left at the games . And I guess it's the start of Singapore's downfall. It was fun while it lasted , I guess.

1 Thailand 119 102 82 303

2 Vietnam 57 43 59 159

3 Malaysia 44 36 72 152

4 Indonesia 38 46 63 147

5 Singapore 38 33 31 102

6 Philippines 33 51 76 160

7 Myanmar 7 19 29 55

8 Laos PDR 4 2 23 29

9 Cambodia 2 3 8 13

10 Brunei Darussalam 1 1 4 6

The SEA Games and even the Asian Games are always bigger than the Olympics, in terms of number of sports contested.

It's sort of a combination of the Olympics and the World Games, and more... as they include sports not included in the Olympics, plus traditional sports in the region like sepak takraw, wushu, muay thai, pencak silat, traditional boat race, etc.. and golf, squash, bowling, lawn bowls, petanque, billiards and snooker, dance sport, polo, bodybuilding, futsal, karate, rugby, etc...

some sports are added just for the sake of giving the lower-ranked member countries to win gold medals.. like Laos and Cambodia winning golds in "Petanque"..

This time the SEA Games offer 470 gold medals.

What can we say.. we are sports-mad region.. hahaha

What can we say.. we are sports-mad region.. hahaha

Sport-mad region, hahaha... I have to laugh too. Why not remove the mad so that it wont look like madness.?

ei, don't forget the fin swimming started in 2003.

the philippines had its share of "local" sports like arnis in 2005 which surprisingly became an equal match up between Vietnam and the country, each winning 2 golds.

dancesport also introduced in 2005, was still included this year. Surprisingly, Thailand emerged as the over-all Champion for that sport this year "outpowering" the Philippines.

and the boxing......oh the boxing. Thailand got 16 out of the 17 golds at stake. I'ms till trying to sort things out with the Philippine protest.

just in:

Laos in 2009 may scrap gymnstics and basketball in the program two years from now because of lack of "adequate" sports facilities. The program may likewise be trimmed dramatically by half.

Does gymnastics and basketball need special venues? I've always thought that a simple indoor hall would do.

"Petanque"? I thought that was a French regional game (their version of bocce)? It was passed down to the former colonees? Didn't know Laos was Frenchie too?

Yup.. Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia...

When Vietnam hosted the games for the first time in 2003, fin swimming and that shuttlecock kicking sport was kinda stupid.

And the SEA Games have faaaar too many fighting/combat sports.. judo, karate, taekwondo, pencak silat, muay thai, boxing, arnis, silambam, wushu, wrestling... which are subjective in nature and thus open to huge criticism over judging.

I'm not surprised Phillipines boycotted almost all boxing finals. Malaysia boycotted sepak takraw because Thailand used the ball not recognized by the International body, giving them the advantage because the ball suited the way they play. The same with Volleyball... but we still played.

There were also some last minute category change in those events resulted in many Malaysian athletes suddenly could not compete because of their weight, including our world champion in silat.

Thailand did not emerge as overall champions in the last 2 or 3 editions of the games since 2001, so, this time I think they made really sure that they will. :blink:

I'm glad that despite all these, Malaysia still managed to be on track getting the targeted 64 gold medals.. we thought we would be in 4th or 5th placing, but currently we're 3rd, and with a possible 10-12 more gold medals in these last couple of days, I think we can hold on to that spot.

just in:

Laos in 2009 may scrap gymnstics and basketball in the program two years from now because of lack of "adequate" sports facilities. The program may likewise be trimmed dramatically by half.

Does gymnastics and basketball need special venues? I've always thought that a simple indoor hall would do.

The SEA Games Federation could not allow gymnastics and basketball to be scrapped in the 2009 games because I believe both sports are in the MUST HAVE category in all editions of the SEA Games. They might not have the equipment for gymnastics, or maybe enough halls to accommodate all sports that they decide to scrap the basketball as well..

I heard that something is being planned out so that maybe these sports can be held in the Thailand-Laos border, with the equipment being supplied by Thailand. This is not uncommon 'coz Malaysia has provided plenty of stuff when Brunei hosted their first SEA Games in 1989 that the organiser even thanked Malaysia in his speech for providing the support.

Sailing golds: 2 for Malaysia, 4 for Singapore, 10 for Thailand.. and can't remember who got the other gold.. Indonesia maybe..

Malaysia has met the targeted 64 gold medals today... we made a clean sweep in all 5 diving finals today, so far claiming 7 out of 8 gold medals with 2 more finals tomorrow which we expect 2 more golds for Malaysia.

Malaysia's gold medal prospects tomorrow (last day):

Diving - 2 out of 2 total

Polo - 1 out of 1 total

Rhythmic Gymnastics - 2 out of 4 total

We're tied with Vietnam in 2nd place with 64 golds each... Vietnam has more silvers..

So, with 64 gold medals.. and more tomorrow, Malaysia has achieved its best SEA Games results ever outside of Kuala Lumpur. (We achieved 113 gold medals when we hosted last in 2001, as the overall champion)

A late gold medal from billiards and snooker moves Mlaaysia to the second spot on the medal tally with 65 gold medals altogether.

Malaysia looks set to maintain at 2nd position with 3 or more gold medals against only a possibile 1 or 2 more golds for Vietnam.

We initially targeted to be in 4th or 5th position with 64 gold medals, but we have so far achieved 65 with 1 day to go and at 2nd position.

Great job, Malaysia!

Here is the final tally

1 Thailand 183 123 103 409

2 Malaysia 68 52 96 216

3 Vietnam 64 58 82 204

4 Indonesia 56 64 83 203

5 Singapore 43 43 41 127

6 Philippines 41 91 96 228

7 Myanmar 14 26 47 87

8 Laos 5 7 32 44

9 Cambodia 2 5 11 18

10 Brunei Darussalam 1 1 4 6

11 Timor Leste 0 0 0 0

Singapore improved by 1 gold from Philipines 2005. The next games will be held in Laos in 2009 as rav3n mentioned. I heard they will be cutting down the number of sports to a low 29.

Archived