Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenadian

Biggest Olympic Disappointment In Recent Years

Big Olympic Stinkers...  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What was your biggest Olympic disappointment in recent years?

• The Vancouver 2010 Logo (April 2005)
    • The choice of London for 2012 (July 2005)
    • The Beijing 2008 mascots (Nov 2005)
    • The Torino 2006 Games (Feb 2006)
    • The London 2012 Logo (June 2007)
    • The choice of Sochi for 2014 (July 2007)
    • The creation of the Youth Olympics (July 2007)
    • The London 2012 stadium design (Nov 2007)
    • The Vancouver 2010 mascots (Nov 2007)
    • The 2016 race (ongoing)
    • Other - please specify
    • No disappointments

I know it was before 2005, but it is haunting the Movement till present in many ways

well yeah, in that it cleaned house and made the IOC a little more ethical. It got rid of some of the driftwood in the organization. So that's a bad thing? :rolleyes:

well yeah, in that it cleaned house and made the IOC a little more ethical. It got rid of some of the driftwood in the organization. So that's a bad thing? :rolleyes:

It was a shock therapy, rather than a medication. And the patient has not yet fully recovered, e.g. the members are not trusted to visit candidate cities...

I meant other scandals as well - the sport of figure skating was changed with the new ISU judging system. Here as there is no certain proof that the change was to the better. <_<

#1 - The members are not trusted to visit candidate cities...

#2 - I meant other scandals as well - the sport of figure skating was changed with the new ISU judging system. Here as there is no certain proof that the change was to the better. <_<

#1 - That's about the dumbest thing the IOC did. But if they can't trust themselves, then... :blink:

#2 - Again, I think that's what the system needed -- shock therapy!! The ISU scoring changes have made the results a little less predictable and opens up the competition to the less favored ones. But no matter how you anonymous or random you make the judging systems, if you still have knowledgeable judges, then the more competent competitors will always dominate... if the system is fair and honest.

With all the different sports teams that High Schools (or at least American High Schools) offer and the great competition and talent that can be found through out them, the idea of a Youth Olympics doesn’t seem unnecessary, pointless or dangerous to me. If anything, I think it’s appropriate.

To each his own, I suppose.

You're not going to get all the talent from such an event. Not all talented sportspeople can be identified at such an early age. Many develop much later. Also, many outstanding juniors aren't able to transfer that to the senior ranks for whatever reason. And those who do do well at a Youth Olympics will inevitably be put under far greater scrutiny than those who don't. All in all, I think there are more potential negatives than positives.

The Youth Games are just another brazen mercenary event to try and rain on FIFA's parade (i.e., same year and season), and hook a few more hundred souls each quadrennium into the 'Olympic' dream. :rolleyes: Perhaps add a few more 'dedicated' hundred volunteers that the IOC could harness several thousand hours of free labor from.

The Youth Games are designed to be an inspiration for young people to get them into sport, but won't these just another elite event for elite athletes that are just slightly younger than Olympians? There will likely be a limit of how many can attend and then what ages will they be? Do you think parents of 10-12 year olds will be happy sending their kids to Athens or Moscow or Singapore or wherever these Games end up? Such a stupid idea that may succeed as a marketing event but will fail at its prime objective of getting kids involved in sport. They should invest more at the grass roots level with annual Olympic festivals and sports programs at the school and community level. But no, let's just throw another expensive 2 week party every four years...that'll get the kids off the couch.

The Youth Games are designed to be an inspiration for young people to get them into sport, but won't these just another elite event for elite athletes that are just slightly younger than Olympians? There will likely be a limit of how many can attend and then what ages will they be? Do you think parents of 10-12 year olds will be happy sending their kids to Athens or Moscow or Singapore or wherever these Games end up? Such a stupid idea that may succeed as a marketing event but will fail at its prime objective of getting kids involved in sport. They should invest more at the grass roots level with annual Olympic festivals and sports programs at the school and community level. But no, let's just throw another expensive 2 week party every four years...that'll get the kids off the couch.

Well I don't think parents of 10 to 12 year olds need worry, since the age limit is 14-18 and most of these kids would already be traveling extensively for sports, look at Canadian junior hockey 16 to 18 year olds leaving home and playing in some cases 100s of km away, someone from BC playing in Manitoba for instance. of Western Quebec playing in Halifax.

Well I don't think parents of 10 to 12 year olds need worry, since the age limit is 14-18 and most of these kids would already be traveling extensively for sports, look at Canadian junior hockey 16 to 18 year olds leaving home and playing in some cases 100s of km away, someone from BC playing in Manitoba for instance. of Western Quebec playing in Halifax.

well yeah, but hockey isn't even in this Youth (Summer) Games.

It was a shock therapy, rather than a medication. And the patient has not yet fully recovered, e.g. the members are not trusted to visit candidate cities...

I meant other scandals as well - the sport of figure skating was changed with the new ISU judging system. Here as there is no certain proof that the change was to the better. <_<

Salt Lake City exposed what everyone knew. That the IOC could be bought. Rumors of Seoul, Lillehammer, Sydney and even Atlanta had been whispered for years.

Even tho I voted for Sochi as the biggest disappointment in recent years <_< the grandaddy of them all IMHO is the Sale/Pelltier scandal in 2002. Those Canadians won fair and square. Had it not been for some people finally questioning the outcome and Scott Hamilton going ballistic :lol: , Olympic judging would still be conducting business as usual, with people such as Linda Fratianne, Karen Magnussen and many others still not getting the medals they deserved.

Salt Lake City exposed what everyone knew. That the IOC could be bought. Rumors of Seoul, Lillehammer, Sydney and even Atlanta had been whispered for years.

Even tho I voted for Sochi as the biggest disappointment in recent years <_< the grandaddy of them all IMHO is the Sale/Pelltier scandal in 2002. Those Canadians won fair and square. Had it not been for some people finally questioning the outcome and Scott Hamilton going ballistic :lol: , Olympic judging would still be conducting business as usual, with people such as Linda Fratianne, Karen Magnussen and many others still not getting the medals they deserved.

Its not like Athens didn't have judging controversy, Kyle Shewfelt got screwed out of a vault medal.

Its not like Athens didn't have judging controversy, Kyle Shewfelt got screwed out of a vault medal.

True. I think Salt Lake opened up the opportunity to finally question the judging of years past. Kyle Shewfelt is a good example.