Biggest Olympic Disappointment In Recent Years

Kenadian

Big Olympic Stinkers...  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What was your biggest Olympic disappointment in recent years?

• The Vancouver 2010 Logo (April 2005)
    • The choice of London for 2012 (July 2005)
    • The Beijing 2008 mascots (Nov 2005)
    • The Torino 2006 Games (Feb 2006)
    • The London 2012 Logo (June 2007)
    • The choice of Sochi for 2014 (July 2007)
    • The creation of the Youth Olympics (July 2007)
    • The London 2012 stadium design (Nov 2007)
    • The Vancouver 2010 mascots (Nov 2007)
    • The 2016 race (ongoing)
    • Other - please specify
    • No disappointments

Interesting, but how would a rotation policy stop grief? I mean, losing an Olympic bid isn't the end of the world.

Well, you would not have a few disheartened, heart-broken cities when they know it's not their turn. And this pitting one city against the other just to satisfy the vain wishes of the IOC is really so... selfish and self-serving.

There have been a lot of recent stink ups about decisions in the Olympic world in the past two years. Let's poll and discuss the disappointments we've all felt over the past couple of years.

:( The 2012 Logo - London, what were you thinking?...apart from the obvious.

Well, you would not have a few disheartened, heart-broken cities when they know it's not their turn. And this pitting one city against the other just to satisfy the vain wishes of the IOC is really so... selfish and self-serving.

Only cities who have recently hosted know "it is not their turn' and they are unlikely to try and bid again anytime soon.Anyone else has every right to put in a bid as far as I'm concerned and as often as they choose! This business about it being the turn of this continent or the turn of that continent is plain 'tihsLLub' in my opinion.If a city hasn't hosted recently and feels up to the job...go for it! Who cares which bloody continent you happen to come from!! This makes for exciting bidding competitions with a genuine element of uncertainty as to the outcome.Who wants a boring contest where everyone knows it's almost certainly going to be the American candidate because it's America's turn...yawn,yawn.yawn!! :rolleyes:

Long live the No Rotation Policy! Let the fun and guessing games continue!! B)

Only cities who have recently hosted know "it is not their turn' and they are unlikely to try and bid again anytime soon.Anyone else has every right to put in a bid as far as I'm concerned and as often as they choose! This business about it being the turn of this continent or the turn of that continent is plain 'tihsLLub' in my opinion.If a city hasn't hosted recently and feels up to the job...go for it! Who cares which bloody continent you happen to come from!! This makes for exciting bidding competitions with a genuine element of uncertainty as to the outcome.Who wants a boring contest where everyone knows it's almost certainly going to be the American candidate because it's America's turn...yawn,yawn.yawn!! :rolleyes:

U're entitled to your opinion, and I to mine. :P

Close tie to the Youth Olympics and the London Logo. The youth olympics just doesnt make much sense, and I really wonder if any of the smaller cities out there will get there share or if this will be another case of the big cities hogging it all. The London Logo, well enough said there, its horrendus, ugly and doesnt really emit the Olympic Spirit or anything about the host country. I'm very surprised the IOC even approved it.

Long live the No Rotation Policy! Let the fun and guessing games continue!! B)

Well, you are from Europe so I guess I can understand that statement. The five rings representing the five continents be damned!

How about the Torino Games? Why bother having a Winter Olympics in a Meditteranean country that couldn't give a damn about winter sports, and then there's the mascots that if you looked at them, you could've sworn the Games were in Alabama or Arkansas, not Italy.

How about the Torino Games? Why bother having a Winter Olympics in a Meditteranean country that couldn't give a damn about winter sports, and then there's the mascots that if you looked at them, you could've sworn the Games were in Alabama or Arkansas, not Italy.

One could argue that a large majority of Americans don't care about winter sport and yet they hosted one of the most successful games in history. Torino may not have been as good as Salt Lake or Lillehammer, but it did have good attendance, decent revenue and a generally positive experience. There was some draw backs, the spread out nature of the venues and the lack of snow within Torino. Torino and the Piedmont region has a long history of winter sport, dating back decades and has a long history of hosting major events and world cups. You really can't argue Sion nor Helsinki could have done better, they could have, but its incredibly unlikely. Helsinki had the whole Lillehammer thing and Sion and the small nature of their bid and the general lack of Swiss support for everything that doesn't regard them staying neutral. (Rei, I know you are shocked by what I just wrote, just wait until I say something positive about Spain, though that isn't likely for awhile)

With all the different sports teams that High Schools (or at least American High Schools) offer and the great competition and talent that can be found through out them, the idea of a Youth Olympics doesn’t seem unnecessary, pointless or dangerous to me. If anything, I think it’s appropriate.

To each his own, I suppose.

you'd wish to have a winter sport tradition as stronger as italy's!!!! :D

Archived