Spain And Portugal To Launch 2018 Bid?

arwebb

Spain could easily host on its own. I wonder if going with Portugal is a good idea.

It could be said Spain is being generous in allowing Portugal in on the party as their smaller neighbours couldn't host the tournament alone, but it could also be said that maybe they're only going with Portugal to wrap up the South American vote.

Well it would be the only way Portugal would ever be able to host, similar to Netherlands and Germany hosting together in the future, Germany could do it alone, but would tack on Netherlands to make the bid more interesting. But I wonder if it would be maybe 3 or 4 venues in Portugal and 6 or 7 in Spain.

Another joint bid ? Oh c'mon ! While they're at it , why add Andorra to it !

No, Andorra would only occur if Spain were to joint bid with France (Unlikely!)

Even at that, the most they could ever accomplish is such:

- Financing? (Perhaps, if only for their own venue!)

- "Olympic" Stadium (The failed 2010 application bid, you will get a nice 20,000 seater stadium here)

- Hosting exhibition matches

- Host city for a national football team

- Now why would they want to hold a FIFA congress in Andorra? ;)

- Match official (Oh look it's that silly Andorran ref!

Guest Jensen1981
Another joint bid ? Oh c'mon ! While they're at it , why add Andorra to it !

I'm getting really sick and tired of this negativity towards joint bids :angry: !?! Just wait and see dude. Every country should get a chance to host such a big event, even if it concerns a joint bid. Let's focus on the positive aspects of a joint organization, because they DO exist! Got it?

I'm getting really sick and tired of this negativity towards joint bids :angry: !?! Just wait and see dude. Every country should get a chance to host such a big event, even if it concerns a joint bid. Let's focus on the positive aspects of a joint organization, because they DO exist! Got it?

The trouble is with joint bids is there has only been one for a world cup and it wasn't the most successful venture. But, and I say this as a supporter of England 2018, if any joint bid would work it would be Benelux as the countries are small enough, culturally similar enough and have the infrastructure to pull it off.

Spain/Portugal doesn't have this feel to it; it feels lopsided and unbalanced and I'm not sure how far they'll get.

Besides, I've heard conflicting stories suggesting Portugal have jumped the gun as Spain want to go it alone, which they're perfectly capable of doing.

Spanish soccer federation not interested in launching 2018 World Cup bid

MADRID, Spain - The Spanish football federation has dismissed reports that it plans to launch a bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

"There isn't the slightest possibility that we would want to host the World Cup at this time," federation spokesman Jorge Carretero told The Associated Press. "There is no study, no project, this is only the idea of one man. It has not been discussed within the offices of the Spanish federation."

The remarks come after recent reports suggesting Spain and Portugal could bid to co-host world soccer's biggest competition.

Portuguese football federation president Gilberto Madail told Spanish daily As on Thursday that he had discussed the possibility of a joint World Cup bid with two of the Spanish federation's three vice presidents and that "the idea seemed excellent to them."

Carretero said Spanish federation president Angel Maria Villar was not interested.

"This is solely an idea on the part of the Portuguese football federation president, and there is nothing concrete concerning a bid for 2018," he said. "The president hasn't been in contact with his Portuguese counterpart concerning the idea, we don't know where these reports (that Spain is interested) are coming from."

FIFA scrapped its continent-rotation policy for hosting the World Cup following the 2014 competition, which will be held in Brazil. England has already said it intends to bid for the 2018 edition, while other likely candidates include Russia, China, Mexico, the United States, and Belgium and the Netherlands in a joint bid.

Canada could also be in the mix but the Canadian Soccer Association has not officially said it will bid.

Carretero said the federation has no intention to launch any bid for the European Championships either.

The Canadian Press

Well, that "bid" was a one-week wonder!

I'm getting really sick and tired of this negativity towards joint bids :angry: !?! Just wait and see dude.

Every country should get a chance to host such a big event, even if it concerns a joint bid. Let's focus on the positive aspects of a joint organization, because they DO exist! Got it?

Well, the FIFA powers have publicly said that they're not too crazy about joint bids -- especially if there are going to be great one-country bids. So if you can't take the hint, then you're setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

Every country? :blink: The World Cup? San Marino? Nauru? Tuvalu? As I said, the Comoros are my 2nd choice for 2018.

But I wonder if it would be maybe 3 or 4 venues in Portugal and 6 or 7 in Spain.
Spain/Portugal doesn't have this feel to it; it feels lopsided and unbalanced and I'm not sure how far they'll get.
Surely it's going to be a three-quarters Spanish, one quarter Portuguese proposal if it does happen. It just doesn't feel right.

This is the main reason why I wouldn't like such a bid, if it was to go forward (glad it didn't). After experiencing the huge pride of hosting all alone an European Championship (a bid won over Spain), it would feel really weird to co-host the WC with a country that can perfectly host on its own, if there was a committed bid. The venue distribution would be predictably unbalanced, as you people stated, and, in the end, it wouldn't be fair.

It was just another try from Madail to get another event organized by FPF (since 2003, we've hosted a UEFA event every year). After this idea went down the drain, he announced that he wanted to host the FIFA Club World Cup in 2009 or 2010 :D

Archived