• 86, Edinbrugh
    • 90, Auckland
    • 94, Victoria
    • 98, Kuala Lumpa
    • 02, Manchester
    • 06, Melbourne
    • 10, New Delhi
    • 14, Abu...op sorry - Glasgow
    • Failed Bidding Cities Logos (explain in thread below)

I think the problem with Canadian bids for the CG's are that the decisions are made politically. Halifax was to appease Maritimers. Victoria was to appease BC'ers. Both cities are the same size and don't have a major sports team that would make good use of a large stadium.

Hamilton tried for 2010, but that was clearly going to be India's turn. And while Ottawa and Calgary put in shallow bids for 2014, both cities could be strong contendors if they made stronger bids. If Canada wants to host the CG's again, they need to put in a bigger city with a bigger plan. Hamilton had a good plan. Their biggest problem, though, is that Hamilton doesn't have a sexy reputation and is overshadowed by nearby Toronto.

• 2 months later...
I think the problem with Canadian bids for the CG's are that the decisions are made politically. Halifax was to appease Maritimers. Victoria was to appease BC'ers. Both cities are the same size and don't have a major sports team that would make good use of a large stadium.

Hamilton tried for 2010, but that was clearly going to be India's turn. And while Ottawa and Calgary put in shallow bids for 2014, both cities could be strong contendors if they made stronger bids. If Canada wants to host the CG's again, they need to put in a bigger city with a bigger plan. Hamilton had a good plan. Their biggest problem, though, is that Hamilton doesn't have a sexy reputation and is overshadowed by nearby Toronto.

Ironically, Hamilton in NZ did a study in 2004 at a potential regional bid for 2014 or '18 and came up with the same conclusion. It was too well shadowed by nearby Auckland to succeed. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken sometime to look into the Abuja logo though from some perspective it's artistically better than any that's been in used since the inception of the CWGs but I don't like the idea behind the tradition belonging to a particular ethnic group of the norther part of the country.

the Logo:

TOP-6a.jpg

:mellow: Yes, Edinbrugh '70 broke the mould but Christchurch started off the bold Red White and Blue era with it's striking symbolisim. It's still used to this day as an iconic New Zealand brand. By 1994 the style well worn out when Victoria posted it's austere version. Kuala Lumpa broke that mould with it's multi coloured style in 1998, and its been a colourfull era ever since.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a cool lil banner that shows all of the design elements of the Auckland 1990 Games.

65277359_full.jpg

The *Hungry Ensign* logo, the shooting star look, and the Goldie the Kiwi mascot.

:) Yes Yes...Here we go again, another poll, but with a twist - you may include bidding cities logos as well! :)

i.e. like Halifax's logo for it's failed '14 bid attempt.

There have been some pretty good logos out there...

:) C'mon guys, let's get some light hearted CWG conversation going...

:)

Actually I agree with you on the Halifax logo. It was the only real good thing about the bid LOL. The Abuja Logo even thou I support the bid totally I did not like the logo. The Abuja Logo was certainly not as bad as the piece of Crap that London has now for the Olympics. The Abuja logo has an African feel but I think something could have been come up with to better forward an African Feel.

The Logo that Delhi has now I like . Glasgow 2014s logo is good I find it to be a typical logo but hey it is effective and does not offend ones senses like London 2012's new logo.

jim jones

First Victoria is not the Size of Halifax. India's turn came after being defeated in 1990 by Auckland and 1994 by Victoria.

Calgary pulled out around September 16 2005 citing no possible way to make the investment back on the games.

Canada is not going to bid on the Games it is very clear. We do Olympics now and we have done our share for a commonwealth games which no one watches in Canada anymore.

The Pan Ams and single sports tournaments have more to do with Canadian sport interests then Netballs , lawn bowling and Rugby Sevens.

The year Victoria on the games 9 Canadian cities bid domestically. for 2014 4 crossed the domestic bid finish line for Canada. Hamilton has turned the page I would say . Halifax will be out. Western Canada is not showing the interest.

jim jones

Here's a cool lil banner that shows all of the design elements of the Auckland 1990 Games.

65277359_full.jpg

The *Hungry Ensign* logo, the shooting star look, and the Goldie the Kiwi mascot.

:huh: Gosh mattygs, this is giving me such memorable flashbacks to my teenage years!!!

Gosh I can remember 14 year old Nikki Jenkins shock victory at the gymnasium, she's now my neice's PE teacher! :blink:

Suddenly I have the urge to really push for NZ to give 2018 a shot again!

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting. Although that's a rather awkward naked man pose, even as naked man poses go. Also interesting how times and the body esthetic change. You'd never see a man that 'average' or that 'mature' looking in a sports poster of that nature. Not in this day of pectacular and abtastic athletes like Tom Daley and Usain Bolt.

mellow.gif Yes, Edinbrugh '70 broke the mould but Christchurch started off the bold Red White and Blue era with it's striking symbolisim. It's still used to this day as an iconic New Zealand brand. By 1994 the style well worn out when Victoria posted it's austere version. Kuala Lumpa broke that mould with it's multi coloured style in 1998, and its been a colourfull era ever since.

Chrstchurch for me. It is still seen on T-shirts today. Very cool that a logo has stood the test of time and is still remembered today.

• 2 months later...

Dredging this one up, Alex can maybe help.

Driving out of Auckland Airport yesterday and noticed Air National having the Auckland 1990 symbol as their logo. I've seen this before, but what exactly is the deal behind this, how can an airline take the logo of a sporting event?

Dredging this one up, Alex can maybe help.

Driving out of Auckland Airport yesterday and noticed Air National having the Auckland 1990 symbol as their logo. I've seen this before, but what exactly is the deal behind this, how can an airline take the logo of a sporting event?

:mellow: ...Brought the rights off the city council in 1996? from what I remember, no one else wanted it although anything to do with 1990 is still allowed to display the 'Hungry Enzyme'...Pointless now since Air National went into liquidation last year. Doesn't have the same impact as the ultimate - Christchurch's...

Interestingly enough is that the famous 1974 NZZN is still 'owned' by Christchurch and pretty much is allowed to be used by non-profit orgs but a small royalty to be paid for businesses.

The old New Zealand Shipping Corporation used the symbol on the bows of thier ships for a while..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived