• 86, Edinbrugh
    • 90, Auckland
    • 94, Victoria
    • 98, Kuala Lumpa
    • 02, Manchester
    • 06, Melbourne
    • 10, New Delhi
    • 14, Abu...op sorry - Glasgow
    • Failed Bidding Cities Logos (explain in thread below)

:) Yes Yes...Here we go again, another poll, but with a twist - you may include bidding cities logos as well! :)

i.e. like Halifax's logo for it's failed '14 bid attempt.

There have been some pretty good logos out there...

:) C'mon guys, let's get some light hearted CWG conversation going...

:)

I vote for Edinburgh 1986 :), For Delhi 2010, yupz, that's thier final logo for CWG 2010, so sad, in India there are a lot of artist that can create a very far better logo, but they just put their national flag to the CWG logo, so uncreative :(, I also like logo Glasgow 2014, but I think that's their bid logo, not their games logo... So I'm waiting for their games logo :), 1990 logo in Auckland little like North Korean flag :P

I vote for Edinburgh 1986 :), For Delhi 2010, yupz, that's thier final logo for CWG 2010, so sad, in India there are a lot of artist that can create a very far better logo, but they just put their national flag to the CWG logo, so uncreative :(, I also like logo Glasgow 2014, but I think that's their bid logo, not their games logo... So I'm waiting for their games logo :), 1990 logo in Auckland little like North Korean flag :P

I'm not sure what the Glasgow team will do with a Games logo - I do know that we have adapted our Bid logo in the interim period. If you look at our website, you will see that we have dropped the Candidate City part from the logo.

Rob

I'm not sure what the Glasgow team will do with a Games logo - I do know that we have adapted our Bid logo in the interim period. If you look at our website, you will see that we have dropped the Candidate City part from the logo.

Rob

So, that's their games logo ? I think that logo is good :), I like it..., and the most important is, Glasgow not makes a mistake like London did, their good logo bid was replaced by hmm.. you know lah... :)

Nah, I dont think that is the final Delhi logo. I read a few months ago on their website and in newspapers that they had put up the tender the contract for creative services for the 2010 Games. The contract included making promotional material aswell as a new symbol for the Games. So I am guessing that we will see a new logo at some stage. I highly doubt that the CGF would allow them to use that logo, they do have to look after the sponsers, its not exactly a good brand.

I think my favourite logo would have to be that of Christchurch 74.

It is a timeless logo, and is so unbelievably clever, especially for something designed that long ago.

It has mega symbolism, representing a stylised Union Jack, a styled *X* recognising the 10th Commonwealth Games, and stylised *NZ* and *74*, even as you rotate the logo.

Not to mention the fact that it has reached icon status in this country, making it as a top design on trendy t shirts by Little Brother and Mr Vintage.

I think Manchester's logo is extremely stylie, it has class, it looks great - it's bold.

Ups to KL too, again very clever, and breaking the mould of former CG logos.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted Abu... abreviation for Abuja cos it's too artistically designed. An athlete on traditional clothes and hat cutting through the warmth of Abuja in a national flag colors. It revealed almost everything about the country artistically.

I really do seem to have a very different taste in logos compared to the majority on these boards. I would not describe myself as a particularly bias person. I like to think that I tell it like it is. Having said that I believe that the Manchester 2002 logo is heads and shoulders above the rest. I would put Melbourne 2006 in 2nd place but that's only because the rest were so appalling. Christchurch would get my 3rd vote just because it at least showed some thought other than the pointless mess of the other logos.

I voted Abu... abreviation for Abuja cos it's too artistically designed. An athlete on traditional clothes and hat cutting through the warmth of Abuja in a national flag colors. It revealed almost everything about the country artistically.

It was anyone's guess. That sooo typical -.-"

:rolleyes: I'm surprised at the voting results so far....

Christchurch seems to be a popular choice, and seconded by Kuala Lumpa...I suppose it's because these to games RedWhiteBlue dynamic symbolisim in 1974, and a more "Commonwealth" multi coloured branding in 1998.

I have to admit that Christchurch's has become a New Zealand Icon, seen on everything along side the silver fern, yet Auckland's 1990 stand-in "stars on a disc" symbol is now olny seen on the tails of Air National's planes and an occasional facility that hasn't painted it out yet.

The 1974 offical cars seem to be more resiliant as well. A woman in my suburb still owns her immaculate 1973 special edition Holden Kinswood, white with it's tri-colour pinstripes, the only thing missing are the '74 symbol and Tenth British Commonwealth Games, Christchurch 1974 on the front passenger and driver's side doors. She has fun rejecting sooo many offers to buy, myself included.

Saw a 1990 Toyota Starlet with it's old 1990 squiggley colour scheme not long ago, looking the very worst for wear. :(

...Hey I feel a new topic starting, Offical Vehicals, where are they now?

The Christchurch logo is really clever though, it works well as an icon, so maybe Im not that surprised.

Alex, any idea of the logic behind the Auckland 1990 logo, apart from the obvious display of the Southern Cross as viewed in the NZ sky?

Prolly should give the props to Auckland 1990 for maybe being one of the first of the CG host cities to establish a *look of the Games*.

In addition to that official logo, which I think was called the *hungry enzign*, we also had that shooting star design used around the venues, a different colour for each sport I think.

Also commonly used was the logo for the 1990 New Zealand Sesqui-Centennial celebrations, the *kotuku*. Coincidentally, the Kotuku (White Heron) was also used in the moving climax to the main artistic portion of the opening ceremony, when a Kotuku inspired kite with the Treaty of Waitangi written on it, was released into the stadium after a speech by Dame Whina Cooper.

I actually preferred that NZ1990 logo.

Alex, any idea of the logic behind the Auckland 1990 logo, apart from the obvious display of the Southern Cross as viewed in the NZ sky?

In addition to that official logo, which I think was called the *hungry enzign*, we also had that shooting star design used around the venues, a different colour for each sport I think.

Also commonly used was the logo for the 1990 New Zealand Sesqui-Centennial celebrations, the *kotuku*. I actually preferred that NZ1990 logo.

:) Mattygs, "Hungry Enzign!" that's what it's name was! well done!

The red through the middle represents the Auckland isthmus, the blue being Tasman sea and Pacific Ocean, and of course the southern cross. Alas this WAS NOT suppose to be the official symbol of the games, it was it's Bidding coporate logo. As with all things Auckland, a competition was announced but by 1986 no clear symbol was standing out yet the organising committee still used the logo through untill many agreed that Auckland and NZ were so use to it that "Hungry Enzign" stayed on. Time simply had run out!

The colorful flags that were spread around the city were a hybrid of the design, as the games came to and end, many (myself included) managed to nick them off poles and buildings. They are still everywhere in Auckland's sports facilities, and I even remember seeing them hanging in the Christchurch Bush Inn Shopping Mall foyer when I started attending Canterbury Uni.

As for the 1990 emblem, like many who were old enough to remember, it wasn't all that popular! It looked too Japanese and also was the colour of a VERY unpopular Labour governmnet at the time. My High School principal wanted to hang a couple of banners in the gym at 1989 prize giving but the PTA objected! Many believed it should have been Green or Blue or a variety of colours. But red was just too stark and there was a lot of anti Japanese sentiment at the time, with corporte take overs and land buy outs etc...

It didn't matter anyway, the 1990 celebrations fizzled out after Waitangi Day, and the Expo in Wellington went into receivership shortly after as everyone was back at school and comming down off a high after the summer break. :huh:

Surprisingly I still have my tiny "Hungry Enzign" pin!

Not entirelyy sure what the name *hungry enzign* refers to tho.

Actually, i think one of those 1990 cg banners is currently for sale on trademe

:huh: "Hungry Enzign" came from the fact that the Symbol looked too much like the "Hungry Enzymes" out of the old Drive washing powder commercials on TV during the 1980's. The fact that they looked like PacMan and ate everything related to the fact that Auckland 1990 kept eating up funding long before it should've and the government had to reluctantly keep topping up it's budget. And then they started to trim down on things, hence the Spectacular Opening but ramshackle closing ceremonies.

Oh yeah, you're rite. haha.

I see Mr Vintage has now released a couple of auckland 1990 t shirts, following in the footsteps of the NZ74 design. One with the logo, and one with Goldie on it.

Mite grab one i think.

And yeah, now that you mention it, I did think it was a lil bit odd that the opening was so good, but the closing was a tad underwhelming - still, probably pretty good for the standard at the time. In saying that, I think it was a class moment when you had Dame Kiri singing Po Atarau(Now is the Hour) with the glitter being fired out into the sky, and the birds from the opening ceremony hovering around the crowd.

And yeah, now that you mention it, I did think it was a lil bit odd that the opening was so good, but the closing was a tad underwhelming - still, probably pretty good for the standard at the time.

Yeah, well you should've seen the plans they had for Mt Smart Stadium when they won the rights to host, Probibly wouldn't have needed Eden Park now.

• 4 weeks later...

People don't do what they preach. Manchester has the vote here and people are repeatedly saying I don't like manchester logo. Can we have confidence in people here?

But not everyone that votes makes a comment on how they vote. We also have a lot of Brits on this forum and maybe they have fond memories of 2002, so the logo has an assigned meaning to them. Manchester is in the lead, but it only has 1/3rd of the votes. If we made it a vote off between the two vote leaders, that could change the end result.

:) Manchester now in front...Yes they did have an individual look, simple and neat Logo. A good sized games, just right for the commonwealth. I always felt Melbourne's games were a little too "big" but a stylish logo they had!

Victoria 94' was just too hard up and cheap, the twisted tri-color V ribbon atests to this. Prehaps it was wise that Canada (Halifax) dropped out (2014), I don't think they really care anymore.