African Olympics

Guardian

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and like to see you here in Istanbul as soon as poosible:) i promise a good turkish coffee next to bosphorus in an Ottoman palace;)

Thank you very much. I'm sure a visit to Turkey would be very nice! I don't have plans to go to Europe right now, but, for sure, Turkey and Greece are on my mind when I go.

The same if you come to Rio, I'd be glad to show the city to you and/or any GB people who come to here. smile.gif

Nairobi is a shabby junkyard, with the centre of the city barely an improvement on the satellite shanty towns. It's not gonna be hosting anytime soon.

You know what? Any city without a metro system should not be hosting the Olympics anytime soon. Cairo is the only city in Africa with an adequate metro system.This is ridiculous. No good city in Africa can step up to bid for the Summer Olympics.

You know what? Any city without a metro system should not be hosting the Olympics anytime soon. Cairo is the only city in Africa with an adequate metro system.This is ridiculous. No good city in Africa can step up to bid for the Summer Olympics.

Just like Sydney hosted a summer games without a metro.

A mtro is the least of nairobi's shortcomings. Try basic infrastructure like water and housing first.

Subway is not minimum requirement for the games.

BRTs are a very well solution (but not the greener one) used and tested in Beijing and seems it's pretty OK.

Rio will use both. In South Zone (Copacabana and "South"-Maracana clusters) subway will be major, in the other clusters, BRTs will be the solution.

South Africa will host within the next 16 years - metro or no freaking metro. It's not a deal-breaker.

I agree with that. Between 2020 and 2040, Africa will host the games.

It's getting hard to ingnore them, specially because some African countries are doing very well in economics and about improve life quality of its citizens.

Angola is a example of that (they still have to solve some terrorist-related problems), but no doubts that in economics they are improving a lot (by increasing their GDP by 14, 15% per year)

^^Basics suck. I guess there'll be no Summer Olympics for Africa for the next few centuries.

Africa will get an Olympic Games....most likely South Africa. The 2010 FIFA World Cup was heavily praised and with the exception of vuvuzuelas, there were no major problems. South Africa has already proven it can host a major sporting event effectively. South Africa is farther along as an Olympics host than India is....by a longshot.

Generalisms are always silly...

Even inside Brazil. Sao Paulo's state economy and infra-structure are ways better than entire Argentina,

Embellishing much? What was that about 'generalizations'?

Buenos Aires (& Argentina) is/are very cosmopolitan & very developed areas on the continent. Being dubbed "the Paris of South America" by international tourists. Certainly in didn't get that title by being some typical, run-of-the-mill South American shanty town.

No question that Sao Paulo is also well developed & is Brazil's economic powerhouse, but to say that it's "way better" in those areas than your neighbors to the south, is a complete & utter exaggeration.

Buenos Aires (& Argentina) is/are very cosmopolitan & very developed areas on the continent. Being dubbed "the Paris of South America" by international tourists. Certainly in didn't get that title by being some typical, run-of-the-mill South American shanty town.

Maybe once upon a time, but my overwhelming impresion of BA when I was there was "faded glory". It was obvious that this was once a graceful, glorious and cosmopolitan city, but hard times had not done it well.

Thank you very much. I'm sure a visit to Turkey would be very nice! I don't have plans to go to Europe right now, but, for sure, Turkey and Greece are on my mind when I go.

The same if you come to Rio, I'd be glad to show the city to you and/or any GB people who come to here. smile.gif

sure my ex love lives in sao paolo ...LOL

like to see rio if i come to brazil too:)

No question that Sao Paulo is also well developed & is Brazil's economic powerhouse, but to say that it's "way better" in those areas than your neighbors to the south, is a complete & utter exaggeration.

I was talking about Sao Paulo state, not Sao Paulo city.

Sao Paulo state has the same size (40 million people) and have a bigger but similar GDP in relation to Argentine one.

The comparision is fair.

Sao Paulo state do have more than 2,000 Km of highways that could rivalize to those in Europe or in USA.

Argentina has only one highway in entire country (and not a big one, still not linking even the three major cities of the country...).

Sao Paulo state is self-suficient in eletricity. Argentina can not handle their energetic demand with its own resources.

Without Bolivia and Brazil help (yes, help, because low prices were charged to them) students in Buenos Aires public schools would have no conditions to attend school in the winter due lack of calefation.

Buenos Aires was once the Paris of South America. It is still cosmpolitan but it's now a charming-decadent city. It's more the Montevideo of Argentina than Paris of South America...

The fleet of buses in Buenos Aires dates to the 70s, the radar of Ezeiza Airport is not working and Brazilian Curitiba Airport have been tracking the flights from and to there for the last 4 years...

And, maybe you don't know, the HDI of Rio (0.842 in 2004) and Sao Paulo (0.841 in 2004) are better than Buenos Aires one (0.836 in 2004) and the argentine capital is a city with a increasing number of people living in shanty towns (reaching about 10% in BA metro area). In Argentina the favelas are called "villas de emergencia" or "villas miseria"

Argentina is living a real crisis, not only economical but also political and cultural, which is sad for a country that 50 years ago was one of the most rich in the world... Now they owe lots of money to Venezuela.

For the good or for the bad, South America changed a lot in the last 20 years...

Maybe once upon a time, but my overwhelming impresion of BA when I was there was "faded glory". It was obvious that this was once a graceful, glorious and cosmopolitan city, but hard times had not done it well.

It's still a beautiful city, but we see that the golden years of Argentina is only a rememberance.

South Africa will host within the next 16 years - metro or no freaking metro. It's not a deal-breaker.

Try getting that through to him. We also do not have many hotels of 1000 rooms and thats a dealbreaker too, including the fact that we might not build a giant superdome or O2 arena.

I refer you to the IOC's evaluation report of Cairo's 2008 bid re its wonderful metro.

I was talking about Sao Paulo state, not Sao Paulo city.

Sao Paulo state has the same size (40 million people) and have a bigger but similar GDP in relation to Argentine one. The comparision is fair.

I know you were talking about Sao Paulo state & not the city (that's why I used Argentina in parenthesis).

I'm not arguing your points, Danny. But again, your use of "way better" was what I found to be exaggerating. Had you used a 'bit better' or even just 'better', then yes, your comparison would've been more 'fair'. But 'WAY better' is not. Again, we're not talking about Ecuador or even Peru.

But anyway, I digress.

I know you were talking about Sao Paulo state & not the city (that's why I used Argentina in parenthesis).

I'm not arguing your points, Danny. But again, your use of "way better" was what I found to be exaggerating. Had you used a 'bit better' or even just 'better', then yes, your comparison would've been more 'fair'. But 'WAY better' is not. Again, we're not talking about Ecuador or even Peru.

But anyway, I digress.

Hmmm.... You're right in part.

Maybe "ways better" is too much for talking about Argentina x Sao Paulo in a overall. I'm sorry for that.

But in infra-structure it's not far of the truth.

Argentina lacks of investment for about 15 years.

I'm a huge reader of Argentine and Chilean newspapers (since the I like to learn the language this way).

The general impression we have is Argentina is living a serious general crisis, meanwhile other countries in South America advanced like Peru or Chile. Yes Peru is doing great for the last 10 years at least and if this continues they can have a bright future ahead.

To make a point clear here. Argentina being weaker social and economically is not a good thing to Brazil at all.

Ah! The glory days of Juan and Evita.

Bring back the Perons -- even if it's only their bodies and Argentina will be restored to its 1950s glory!!

Are they in a chriogenic chamber??? smile.gif

Talking seriously, the "peronismo" is exaclty what is destroying Argentina for the last 50-60 years.

Ah! The glory days of Juan and Evita.

Bring back the Perons -- even if it's only their bodies and Argentina will be restored to its 1950s glory!!

Santa Evita's buried there - in Recoleta cemetery. I made the pilgrimage there when I visited.

And when it comes to postcards being sold on the street, it's a hard pick to judge who's the most common - Eva, Che or Carlos Gardel (a Tango great).

• 5 months later...

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted somewhere here yet:

Olympic Games must now be heading for Africa, insists CAF boss Hayatou

KHARTOUM: Issa Hayatou believes that South Africa's success in hosting the 2010 World Cup finals makes it inevitable that the African continent will one day soon also be staging the summer Olympic Games for the first time.

Hayatou, Cameroon president of the African football confederation and a member of the International Olympic Committee, made that forecast at CAF's annual congress in Khartoum.

Reviewing the past year under his leadership, Hayatou said: "The year 2010 was as exceptional one. For the first time, the continent was accorded the rights to organise the World Cup, 53 years after the creation of our confederation.

"Never before had Africa received such a global recognition - a formidable experience that came to brighten a continent whom many had known for conflicts, natural disasters, diseases and unemployment.

"So how can we not pay glowing tribute to South Africa that brought pride to the continent. What did they say before the World Cup? That South Africa will not be able to host the competition, that there will be no fans in the stadiums, that foreign visitors will not make it, and that security will be a problem.

"But events spoke for themselves. Africa gave a strong signal to the rest of the World to the extent that the President of the International Olympic Committee IOC, Jacques Rogge, suggested the candidature of an African city to host the Olympic Games.

"It would really be a good thing if that wish were to come true as there were virtually no criticisms following the organisation of the World Cup."

Hayatou regretted the attack on the Togolese bus at the Africa Cup of Nations in the Angolan province of Cabinda this time last year as well as the suspension by FIFA of six African officials, including three members of the executive committee of CAF - including world exco member Amos Adamu - following a vote-riggning scandal.

Hayatou described the suspensions meted out by the Ethics Committee of FIFA as "a huge surprise to us."

Sportsfeatures.com

This, don't forget, is the same African Football Federation that BANNED Togo from the next two African Nations' Cups because the Togolese Premier had the audacity to recall his team after they were involved in a bus shooting. Only FIFA's intervention reversed this heartless, callous decision.

Durban 2020, I have to say, with friends like this who needs enemies?! :rolleyes:

Archived