Sign in to follow this  
Guardian

African Olympics

I'm wondering when the first olympics will take place in Africa. I think it's about time the world pays more attention to this continent, and i think one country will be very ready to host the olympics in the future; South Africa. I bet on 2020 or 2024. 2012 will be in Europe (Paris!), 2016 in Sout America i hope, so it will be 2020 or 2024 for Africa! South Africa hast hosted a number of large sporting events (cricket world cup this year), and will most likely host the soccer WC in 2016. Cape Town would be and ideal city for the olympics; great setting, great location, good infrastructure, great people. Other cities to think of would be Johannesburg, and outside SA maybe Cairo or Lagos? What are your oppinions about this matter?  :

The only two countries that have ever bid before are South Africa and Egypt.  

Are there any other ones that we feel are capable within the next 20 years?

Tunisia or Morocco are also great places to hold the Games as they are richer than many other nationsin Africa plus both countires have hosted the Mediterranian Games and African Football games as well!  :D

I've heard rumors that Abuja, Nigeria is planning to bid within 20 years.

I think that for sure the first African games will be in Cape Town, but I think it will be in 2024 or 2028, because 2012 will most likely be in Europe (Paris) :( , then hopefully 2016 will be in South America (Rio) :) , then I think the IOC will have a hard time going to two completely new regions back to back and ignoring cites like New York, London,and Madrid, so I thinmk it will go like this:

2012-Paris

2016-Rio

2020-New York

2024-Madrid

2028-Cape Town

Just a bit of thinking on my part, thanks. :)

I agree that Cape Town will probably be the first African city to host, but when is up in the air.  It all depends on who gets the games first - Africa or South America.  I'd expect a 12-16 year interval between the games being hosted on both continents.

So if my theory holds true that Paris (or at least Europe) will take 2012, then 2016 could belong to a "new" continent.  So that makes it earliest CT16, but if South America lands those games, then the earliest would be CT (or Africa in general) by 2028 earliest.

I dont think a Rio win would affect an African bid at all.  Imay be the only one, but I see South America's first Olympics being a winter Games in Chile or Argentina - smaller, cheaper and they've got the facilities - well Chile has at least.

I'd see Cape Town getting a look in around 2020 - especially if the World Cup goes to SA and is run efficiently.  The earliest bid cycle after 2010 will be for 2020.  Plus imagine the slogan - "open your eyes to Africa - it's a perfect 20/20 vision".

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm here all week!! :D

I hope that Africa will host an Olympic Games before I grow too old. As such, I think South Africa will get that chance with Cape Town showing the way.

I'm wondering when the first olympics will take place in Africa. I think it's about time the world pays more attention to this continent, and i think one country will be very ready to host the olympics in the future; South Africa. I bet on 2020 or 2024. 2012 will be in Europe (Paris!), 2016 in Sout America i hope, so it will be 2020 or 2024 for Africa! South Africa hast hosted a number of large sporting events (cricket world cup this year), and will most likely host the soccer WC in 2016. Cape Town would be and ideal city for the olympics; great setting, great location, good infrastructure, great people. Other cities to think of would be Johannesburg, and outside SA maybe Cairo or Lagos? What are your oppinions about this matter?  :

Two words, jauf:

CAPE TOWN.

Remember those two words. They hold the key to Africa's Olympic Bid Success. :;):  :cool:

South African sport minister has revealed a plan for future events: 2010 World Cup

2014 Commonwealth games

2020 Olympic games

I think it possible.

Guy, don't forget

TUNIS

It has experince in hosting the Mediterranean Games in 2001!

carte_1.gif

geesh cape town sure seems to be the favorite to host the first african olympics! :;): if any of you find any news about this on the net, please post it here! and when do you all think the first african olympics will take place?

p.s. turkish guy, i'm proud to say the turkish miss world lived in holland all her life! :D

Guy, don't forget

TUNIS

carte_1.gif

Hey TG, I like Tugba Karaca. I think she'll do well in China this Dec. Any new pics of Azra?

p.s. turkish guy, i'm proud to say the turkish miss world lived in holland all her life! :D

Yes she has... that Was Miss Turkey 2002... not the one for 2003!

:D

Guy, don't forget

TUNIS

carte_1.gif

Hey TG, I like Tugba Karaca. I think she'll do well in China this Dec. Any new pics of Azra?

I doubt that Miss Turkey will win this years event... but we will see!

Here are some pictures of Azra Akin:

cumhurbaskani.jpg

azrasigning.jpg

Again, I think South Africa has the best chance of winning any Olympic bid. Probably Cape Town, as it bid for the 2004 games, and was overlooked. Also it now has the experience of prpearing and organising an olympic bid, which the majority of other african cities don't have.

I would have liked to see Kenya place an olympic bid (probably with Nairobi), but I think it's chances have been strongly undermined by the recent terror attacks in Kenya.

Again, I think South Africa has the best chance of winning any Olympic bid. Probably Cape Town, as it bid for the 2004 games, and was overlooked. Also it now has the experience of prpearing and organising an olympic bid, which the majority of other african cities don't have.

I would have liked to see Kenya place an olympic bid (probably with Nairobi), but I think it's chances have been strongly undermined by the recent terror attacks in Kenya.

I wouldn't count Nairobi totally out. If South Africa, with their 60,000 murders a year is still considered a good candidate, then I think almost anyone has a chance.

I think Cape Town, South Africa will be the first city in Africa to host the Summer Olympic Games or possibly Cairo, Egypt

I don't think that a South American win would hinder Africa's bid...however I would not see the IOC giving a games to SA then the next one's to Africa...but other then that I think I bid from Africa will be a good contender in future Olympic races...

I am all for Olympic games in cities that haven't hosted and especially for continents/ regions which have not hosted

I think Cape Town would have a very stong chance at becoming the first African Olympics, but there is still an amount of unstability and securtiy issues in South Agrica that the IOC should notice. Not to metion that they are still trying to sahke off the Apartheid government residue. I think that Johannesburg in SOuth AFrica should also have aa chance because it is a hugr metropolitan area.