Guardian

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say the top three African possibilities:

1 - Cape Town

2 - Johannesburg

3 - Casablanca

That sounds about right _ well, I'm not sure if Casablanca is Morocco's best candidate, but it and South Africa are really the only two realistic contenders.

I know people like the idea of Cairo, but it's really not up to the task of hosting for the moment. It probably has future potential though.

The likes of Dakar or Nairobi just aren't even remote possibilities at the moment. They await an "African Economic Miracle".

• 1 month later...
I would say the top three African possibilities:

1 - Cape Town

2 - Johannesburg

3 - Casablanca

I'm inclined to agree with this - we all saw how the race for the first African world cup boiled down to South Africa and Morocco, with no other countries really standing a chance.

For South Africa, Cape Town will be the chosen city far ahead of any other. More picturesque (imagine that backdrop), a lot safer (Joburg is a seriously risky option), a great tourism sector and conveniently close to the sea for the sailing events

Similarly for Morocco, Casablanca is far and away their best option - biggest city, coastal, international profile. The fact that it is nowhere near their most attractive city would hurt it.

And if it comes down to a head to head ... Cape Town. For all the reasons listed above, plus the experience of hosting big events (RWC, Cricket World Cup, FIFA) plus a big English-speaking vote. Still it could probably do with hosting a commonwealth games successfully before heading for the bigger prize and the next slot for that is 2014

And if it comes down to a head to head ... Cape Town. For all the reasons listed above, plus the experience of hosting big events (RWC, Cricket World Cup, FIFA) plus a big English-speaking vote. Still it could probably do with hosting a commonwealth games successfully before heading for the bigger prize and the next slot for that is 2014

And that's very much their strategic plan. I'll be very surprised if they don't bid for, and win, the 2014 CWGs.

When it comes to South Africa, why is all the focus on Cape Town.  What about Johannesburg or Pretoria?

Basically, I suppose, because Capetown's already been trotted out for a try at 2004, and is probably innterms of scenery, the most picturesque of the potential South African candidates. I know it had to win out against preliminary bids from Jo'burg and Durban to win the right to bid for South Africa in 2004.

In some ways, I tend to agree that Johannesburg could be a better, or shall we say, more responsible option. It is the city that would benefit most from the urban renewal and extra facilities that would come from a games. On the minus, though, is its crime reputation and its less-than-spectacular reputation as an attractive city.

Let's inject a dose of reality into this discussion of an African Summer Olympic Games...is there really a single African city that can provide the economic support and political management necessary for a successful Olympic Games? Maybe in 40-50 years...but before then, the answer must be no.

Look at Cape Town's 2004 bid. Cape Town (alongside other potential South African cities) was and would be the best chance of a successful Olympic bid because of the relative economic strength of South Africa, as well as its status as a leading city within a nominally stable political system. But even as arguably the leading African candidate city, it failed to rally enough support to win the 2004 games, and even the IOC under its parochial election process would have recognized that the CT bid was technically capable enough to mount a successful games. Don't be under any illusions...the only reason why CT got to the final three in 2004 was more because of ANOCA solidarity in the IOC membership than real ability.

Look at the facts; can an African Olympic Games expect to be able to draw on a financially secure sector willing to provide billions in budgetary demands? In 1998 African GDP measured $1,039,408 million, (contrasted with Latin American GDP at the same time of $2,941,600 million) as per the OECD's own figures (

source). Now I admit these figures are old, but can anyone confirm or predict that African economic capability has substantially grown or will even surpass Latin America's? The whole of African economic capability was only 60% of India's 1998 GDP. So...where would an African Olympics get the money from? If the richest country in Africa (i.e. South Africa) can't guarantee even the basics like people financially able to buy tickets (as cited in 'the Games Cities Play' by Pieter de Lange, Sigma Press, Pretoria, 1998), then how could the IOC in good conscience give an Olympics to an african country.

Then there are the social concerns any Olympic bid from Africa must address. Issues such as civil war, drought, famine, AIDS epidemics, corruption and crime are all bedevilling the countries of Africa. Again taking South Africa as the example (and I'm not trying to engage in a SA bashing exercise), the current ANC government can't even get straight their response to the AIDs epidemic sweeping the country. SA has approximately 600 AIDs related deaths each day (source) and the Mbeki government hasn't been able to answer its most strident critics on how it can successfully fight this problem. Therefore, how can an Olympic games be presented in the context of a country, or a whole continent, where there are more complex and more immediate concerns.

I would never doubt the desire or passion for sport in Africa, or denigrate the Olympic achievements of countries such as Ethiopia, Kenya, Morocco, South Africa, Algeria or Egypt. And I acknowldge that FIFA has given SA the 2010 world cup rights in recognition of the continent's sucess in football (and desire to expand such success). But an African Olympics are realistically only a dream that the IOC and pundits like us can entertain without actually making any decision to award. If a middle sized European city like Leipzig can't even get through the technical evaluation process, how could a larger African city like Cairo, Cape Town, Lagos or Nairobi?

The figures you post certainly don't look good. I'd always known that it was a pipe dream for the likes of Kenya or cairo to host. Having seen them first hand, there's no chance at all they could do it as things stand.

I'd always had hopes for South Africa, though.  Over-optimistic or not, they are really the only possibles.

Guest ryan04

When it comes to South Africa, why is all the focus on Cape Town.  What about Johannesburg or Pretoria?

no more Pretoria it is now Tshware i think, but it will most likley be Cape Town, Cario will be 2nd, Kenya & Casablanca maybe

Cape Town will be the first African city to host, probibly 2020.

It's sea level conditions far outweigh Jo'burg and the fact that the latter city is overcrowded and poluted.

After that, Kenya, Morocco and Egypt stand out as future host nations.

Cape Town will be the first African city to host, probibly 2020.

It's sea level conditions far outweigh Jo'burg and the fact that the latter city is overcrowded and poluted.

After that, Kenya, Morocco and Egypt stand out as future host nations.

Get Kenya out of your minds for 100 years at least. I know it sounds an enticing host, but it is just tooo poor to have any chance.

Egypt is almost the same _ give it 50 years at least.

Morocco's about the only chance in the near future after South Africa.

• 9 months later...

Tunesia isn't mentioned? They could host a major event. They proved it in 2001 with the Mediteranean Games.

But the Olympics are (of course) a completely different story. Perhaps we must assume that the Olympics cannot be properly organised in Africa the coming 20 years. If one looks at the level of organisation in the All African Games, there's a lot to be desired...

Tunesia isn't mentioned? They could host a major event. They proved it in 2001 with the Mediteranean Games.

But the Olympics are (of course) a completely different story. Perhaps we must assume that the Olympics cannot be properly organised in Africa the coming 20 years. If one looks at the level of organisation in the All African Games, there's a lot to be desired...

Never mind the alleged news surrounding how the 2011 African Games ended up going to be hosted by Zambia. In fact, a host city in that country has not even been named yet and yet the bid was won by "underhanded tactics."

A perfect example of the African way.......

One must not imagine what could happen if the Olympics would be in African in the next 10-12 years. Athens was ready just in time.....Torino will be ready (just in time).

There will a day, that an Olympic won't be ready in time......Let's hope the IOC thinks twice!

i disagree i dont think we will see another athens situation again or soon...even if cape town was to host..in terms of building facilities cape town wouldnt be finishing its olympic stadium three weeks before..things just get done here..almost similar to sydney..u just see things being built and getting done...construction costs in south africa are LOW.....the london 2012 stadium could easily be built for half the price in cape town..each games in future will have its own challenges...

One must not imagine what could happen if the Olympics would be in African in the next 10-12 years. Athens was ready just in time.....Torino will be ready (just in time).

There will a day, that an Olympic won't be ready in time......Let's hope the IOC thinks twice!

Didn't the IOC witnessed that already?  ???

Didn't the IOC witnessed that already?  ???

What do you mean?

Archived