African Olympics

Guardian

The best hope for the African continent hosting a SOG would be Cape Town and Cairo. Both cities have failed bids behind them, in 2004 and 2008, respectively, so would surely have improved any future bid considerably, and be taken much more seriously by the IOC 2nd/3rd time round.

But maybe we will see a commonwealth games in South Africa, before an olympics.

But certainly by at least 2020/4, the IOC should give South America/ Africa a SOG. I think Rio (after the 2007 Pan-American games) would be favoured over Cape Town.

So maybe we will see a Rio SOG followed by a Cape Town games.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Africa and South America should both host either a summer or winter games by 2040, but my bet is on summer for both.

Africa: Cape Town, Cairo, Casablanca, Tunis (this I think will depend a lot on the WC 2010 decision)

South America: Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Santiago, possibly Caracas, São Paulo, or Brasília if it's on the later side.

Order at the moment: Rio (~2016-2020), CT (~2032-2036), BA (~2048-2052) with a Santiago WOG around 2040 and another African city around 2060.

• 3 weeks later...
Hellow, i also believe that an African country should have the olympics, because it is aboute time the show how beautiful and cultural africa is, not just some devestated continent!

I dont know about your predictions there, amorincognito... there are a lot of other countries in Africa aprt from SA, and with their WC2010 bid getting a lot of praise, Libya may prove a drak horse in the African Olympics stakes.  The country has a modern transport network, good medical infrastructure, and the cash to build the venues needed...  Not any time soon, but with the thawing relations, and the fact that in some circles they are regarded as SA's biggest threat for the 2010 WC.. who knows?

Morocco also could host, Tunisia, Egypt (maybe Alexandria?), Nigeria (they'll bid - but win??), and if you want a stable African nation, that is frankly too small, Botswana.

SA is most likely, but by no means the only country capable.

As for Sth America, if Rio fails and Europe wins in 2012, 2016 may be theirs for the taking... however with rumblings of a WG bid from Chile sooner rather than later (the snowboard and moguls events held there have been very successful), Rio may take the back seat to a Chilean WG...

• 4 months later...

yes,south africa has many problems, egypt and morroco were better places to host the  world cup,but for sure,politics interfered,it was was well known that south africa would win.

i hope that wont happen again in the olympics, cairo, alexandria,tunis or casablanca will be a lot better than cape town as olympic cities.

for nigeria,i dont think they should even bid,it is very chaotic,in the summer games of ABUJA 2003,the egyptian chess team were infected with MALARIA,and 3 of them died later,also egypt got more medals than any other country,but the nigerians declarede they were the winners, saying there was a computer failure.

egypt bidded for the 1916,1936 games,before nigeria even existed.

I DONT MEAN TO INSULT ANYBODY,THESE ARE ALL FACTS.

They wouldn't have 2 back-to-back Southern Hems. Games.  Plus now, with the FIFA World Cup on a known rotation, that will come into play for both bidders, advertisers, and Int'l Orgs like the IOC and FIFA.  Plus, more than ever, the Winter Games will again be a consolation prize for a nation that loses one of the big ones but has also bid for the WG.

They wouldn't have 2 back-to-back Southern Hems. Games

I agree. It'll be either Rio or Capetown as the only new frontiers/southern hemisphere games for a while, and which one gets it is going depend on the next two SOG votes.

If NYC gets 2012, then 2016 is Europe's and 2020/24 is Capetown's big chance.

If Europe gets 2012, then 2016 is the battle of the Americas and Rio gets its chance to compete against NYC and Toronto. If either of the northerners win, then Rio's in for a long wait again and Capetown again gets a shot for 2020-24. If Rio gets it, then Capetown will probably have to bide its time until the 2030s.

Mmmm... I think SA will get the games in 2016 or 2020 and Africa in '20, '24 or '28, but maybe it could depend about an possible bid of Santiago in WOG 2018...

Possible Bids??

I like Casablanca (Morocco), Tunis (Tunis), Cairo or Alexandria (Egypt) and Cape Town (Southafrica). I don't think an equatorial african country (like Kenya or Nigeria) could host soon, maybe near 2060. And Botswana... maybe could have $, but it's an small country to fight against a southafrican or egyptian bid.

Nairobi? Well, sentimentally, it would be a great choice _ Kenya, after all, is one of the most successful and groundbreaking African countries at the games. Having been there, though, it's a long, long way off. South Africa's by far the best equipped to host in the near term, and Cairo is probably the best mid-term prospect. I hope Nairobi could be up to it eventually, we'll just have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we know that 2012 is definetly not going to a new country/ continent, and 2016 is unlikelt to do so either- it will most probably be a USA vs. Canada showdown.

2020/ 2024 is the earliest Africa can get the summer olympics.

Cape Town would be a good bid, coming third in the 2004 race. Other African bids maybe another Cairo bid, Abuja or Lagos and Nairobi.

The important thing is that an African bid needs to bad the Asian and Latin American votes as well as the nearly guaranteed African ones (unless someone in Germany, Italy or australia has university places up for offer!).

Beijing was counting on african support, during its 2 bids.

Yes, I do wonder how much South Africa could count on other African support. From the odd passing comment here on the board and elsewhere, I've got a feeling there is a bit of a feeling elsewhere in Africa that South Africa is monopolising some of the big world-class events when they come to Africa.

I feel that the first African city that will win the bid to host will be Cape Town.  It's so far developed, and this far in time, has already become sort of the favorite for the 24 or 28 Games.  Also speaking on a cultural note, the culture of South Africa differs greatly from Mediterranian Egypt or Morocco.  I feel that there's a better chance of the Games going to a region of the earth that has never held them before they go back to the Mediterranean region.

In the post-Cape Town future, I can definitely see Cairo winning a Summer Games, and possibly Nairobi, if development continues and they start emerging as a large African power.  Maybe Morocco, Tunisia, or even Cote D'Ivoire as well?

With South Africa hosting World Cup, they wont get Olympics any time soon.  When is the last time they held Commonwealth Game by the way?

I can't see why the World Cup makes any difference at all, apart from actually increasing the chances of success of a Capetown Olympic bid by showing the country will have some updated stadium, facilities, infrastructure and communications in place.

The World Cup hasn't hurt Olympic bids in the past  _ Munich 1972/Germany 1974, Spain 1982/Barcelona 1992, USA 1994/Atlanta 1996, France 1998/Paris 2012(?).

I do think that a Capetown bid for 2016, as has been suggested at Athens, wouldn't stand much chance of success against the runners-up of the 2012 bid. But it would be an excellent stepping stone and practice for a 2020 bid. I think Capetown is playing the game perfectly and has the right strategy in place to grab the 2020 games.

South Africa has never hosted the Commonwealth Games yet. I don't think the CGs are an essential step on the road to a South African Olympic hosting _ indeed, a 2014 CG in South Africa, rather than the World Cup, could be the problematic hosting in the race to get the Olympics.

ATT YOUSSEF: I am in no way against egypt but in 2010 as an experienced person regarding bids especially the 2010 bid.South Africa did by at least 1.5/10 points have the superior bid. I am very well travelled and was a part of the group to visit the 2010 bidding countries  not as a fifa member  but as an assistant to the co-technical director who ran the logistics of visiting the countries. So i say purely on a factual and non-bias base as a non- South African that South Africa has the superior bid in 2010 and Egypt were due second.

ATT YOUSSEF: On 2020 Cape Town would def be in much greater stead to host the 2020 Games. Cape Town no longer depends on the sympathy vote but the trail they have followed along with South africa as a whole will lead them to success in 2020. They have steadily hosted and bid for crucial events. And the 2004 bid although lost is now one of the strong points of their future 2020 bid. By 2020 facilties and communications would have improved drastically from its already World Class infrastructure and the appropriateness of the olympics in africa would be well suited to Cape town. So its with surity that i say that CT would be the first city in Africa to host the games and that Egypt will almost def be the second.Due to its financial capabilties and setting and strong infrastructure. If you would like to know more about why the South African bid for 2010 was better e-mail me jlornton@yahoo.com

With South Africa hosting World Cup, they wont get Olympics any time soon.  When is the last time they held Commonwealth Game by the way?

I can't see why the World Cup makes any difference at all, apart from actually increasing the chances of success of a Capetown Olympic bid by showing the country will have some updated stadium, facilities, infrastructure and communications in place.

The World Cup hasn't hurt Olympic bids in the past  _ Munich 1972/Germany 1974, Spain 1982/Barcelona 1992, USA 1994/Atlanta 1996, France 1998/Paris 2012(?).

I do think that a Capetown bid for 2016, as has been suggested at Athens, wouldn't stand much chance of success against the runners-up of the 2012 bid. But it would be an excellent stepping stone and practice for a 2020 bid. I think Capetown is playing the game perfectly and has the right strategy in place to grab the 2020 games.

South Africa has never hosted the Commonwealth Games yet. I don't think the CGs are an essential step on the road to a South African Olympic hosting _ indeed, a 2014 CG in South Africa, rather than the World Cup, could be the problematic hosting in the race to get the Olympics.

CBC commentators (Canadian Broadcast Company biggest of its kind in Canada) said so.

CBC shoulda done a bit more research then comparing World Cup and Olympic hostings then.

The World Cup has always been part of South Africa's stratregic plan in working upo to an Olympics:

1995 _ Rugby World Cup

2003 _ Cricket World Cup

2010 _ Football World Cup

2014 _ Commonwealth Games

2020 _ Olympic Games

I think it's pretty well thought-out and sensible. As I said, I reckon the CGs are the only fly in the ointment.

• 4 months later...

Rogge is at it again, talking up Africa's chances on a visit to Nairobi: Rogge Urges African Countries to Bid

It's interesting that he specifically singles out South Africa's 2010 FIFA World Cup hosting. I think the IOC is very definitely nudging South Africa towards a bid soon. It is really Africa's only viable bidder at present.

• 1 month later...

Archived