Canada 2018

I still don't think Canada will put forth a bid. They may talk about it and all but the truth is the country lacks the necessary stadiums to host the tournament. And if all these new stadiums need to be built it would be quite costly. I'm sure the country can afford it and all but that's what's holding any Canada bid back and also the fact that our Men's squad isn't the best.

I also think Canada would need an over ambitious bid plan to even get shortlisted. If they offer up Ivory Wynne Stadium, McMahon Stadium, Frank Clair Stadium, etc., this bid would be a complete joke and laughed at upon the international community.

Maybe 8 new stadiums, one for each CFL City, and have two cities double up? Thats the only way I see it happening, and oh, Winnipeg does have a new 40K seat stadium planned.

They don't allow two double-ups

Vancouver - 60,000 New Stadium Probable cost 750,000 million

Edmonton - 50,000 New Stadium Probable cost 500,000 million

Calgary - 45,000 New Stadium Probable cost 400,000 million

Regina - 40,000 New Stadium Probable cost 400,000 million

Winnipeg - 40,000 New Stadium Probable cost 400,000 million

Toronto - 90,000 New Stadium Probable cost 1,200,000 million

Ottawa - 55,000 New Stadium Probable cost 600,000 million

Montreal - 75,000 New Stadium Probable cost 900,000 million

Quebec City - 40,000 New Stadium Probable cost 400,000 million

Halifax - 40,000 New Stadium Probable cost 400,000 million

So all told 5.95 billion dollars in stadium construction, add 1 to 2 billion dollar operation budget and you have an 8 billion dollar project. Not something that the Canadian public would support I thikn

So all told 5.95 billion dollars in stadium construction, add 1 to 2 billion dollar operation budget and you have an 8 billion dollar project. Not something that the Canadian public would support I thikn

Interesting, though I'd more likely see it as this:

Vancouver - 60,000 New Stadium (Replacement for BC place Stadium) (Host Match)

Edmonton - 60,081 Commonwealth Stadium (Why is there a need for a replacement?)

Calgary - 50,000 - 60,000 McMahon Stadium (Room for expansion, proven capacity from WOG, just need all seater and other requirements from FIFA)

Regina - 40,000 New Stadium

Winnipeg - 40,000 New Stadium

Hamilton - 45,000 New Stadium (Room to add a platform for a future CG)

Toronto - 90,000 New Stadium (Convertible athletics track if possible for future SOG) (Finals)

Ottawa - 55,000 New Stadium (Room to add a platform for a future CG)

Montreal - 65,255 (It is doubtful that the city of Montreal would want to undergo the expense of building a new stadium, especially considering how much this one cost, also, it will be next to the new Soccer complex being built there, which should provide some sort of plus)

Quebec City - 40,000 New Stadium (Possible PEPS upgrade, or new stadium on site of PEPS (will be only one with permanent athletics track))

Halifax - 45,000 New Stadium (Room to add a platform for a future CG)

Well, that's my ideas on a revised stadium plan, a good mix of new and existing stadiums for a Canadian World Cup (Even if it is unlikely that they'll make it! :P )

I would like to here Guardians thought on this, but Calgary could use a new stadium, McMahon has a horrible concourse, and very little club seating and private boxes. And 8 billion dollars, spread out across 8 provinces, isnt really that bad. And keep in mind, the new Winnipeg stadium is being entirely privately financed. Heh, too bad continental rotation was thrown out when it was finally CONACAF's turn.

There's a outdoor soccer stadium already proposed for Vancouver, with 15,000 seats expandable to 30,000. It's possible to add in more seats to the design or a temporary stand on the north end to raise capacity to 40,000. This project is completely privately funded by the Whitecaps FC.

renderingsouthlarge.jpg

Anyways, isn't Vancouver after an MLS franchise as well as Montreal?

yea, Vancouver is after MLS but it was recently told that it needs to get its act together on a new stadium before the MLS decides on considering it as an expansion team, and when that happens it will surely be a top contender.

sorry about the pic size, had no idea.

There has to be a minimum of 8 host cities right?

-Toronto (2 venues) 1 existing, 1 new

-Montreal - either a major upgrade and renovation to Olympic Stadium or building a brand new stadium

-Ottawa - 1 new stadium

-Hamilton - 1 new stadium

-Winnipeg - 1 new stadium

-Edmonton - 1 existing and needs major renovations to its fugly appearance

-Vancouver - 1 new stadium

-Calgary - 1 new stadium

5.95 billion on stadium construction??? I think you've added your numbers wrong.

10 new stadiums, 6 billion is pretty good.

We don't need a new stadium in Edmonton and Quebec City

Edmonton already has Commonwealth Stadium. It just needs to be upgraded and given a good facelift.

Quebec City won't be a host city.

9 host cities are only needed. I wrote them down earlier but forgot to include Halifax. Toronto can host two stadiums. A brand new 90,000 seater and then an upgraded Rogers Centre.

Winnipeg's new stadium is currently being planned for construction and is being privately financed.

New Stadiums in:

Toronto

Hamilton

Ottawa

Vancouver

Calgary

Halifax

Winnipeg

Major upgrades and facelifts:

Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium

Montreal - Olympic Stadium

Toronto - Rogers Centre (Skydome)

The group organizing a World Cup bid would only be responsible for 6 new stadiums being constructed and 3 major facelift projects for 3 current stadiums. Vancouver's stadium looks like it will be privately financed as well and wouldn't be included in construction costs until it has to be upgraded to a greater seating capacity.

In essence, Canada's bid would require 7 new stadiums to be built but only 5 would be included in the projected construction costs of new stadiums.

I think the wording near the end of my last post is a bit confusing. I'll break it down here. Winnipeg and Vancouver's new stadiums are privately financed and are already being planned for future construction. Therefore, their costs will not be included in the stadium construction costs for this bid. Therefore, the bid committee will be on the tab though for getting the financing needed for the construction of 5 new stadiums.

There is no way that there would be 4 venues in Ontario. Quebec City wants a CFL team and there is already plans for a stadium in the city for it. There is no need to double up venues either because of Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and Halifax. The roughriders could easily fill a 30 to 40,000 seat stadium and would be one of the best positioned for it. The rogers centre is not suitable for football, the seats get too high away from the field of view to be worth it.

Commonwealth stadium is a piece of **** and it doesn't have a roof. If Canada ever wants this event they will have to spend the money on stadiums that look like:

shizuoka_ecopa1.jpg

compared to crapenwealth stadium in all its sh!ttiness.

The American's are starting to with their new stadiums and Canada needs to to if they ever want to compete with the Americans or Australians for this tournament.

There is no way that there would be 4 venues in Ontario. Quebec City wants a CFL team and there is already plans for a stadium in the city for it. There is no need to double up venues either because of Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and Halifax. The roughriders could easily fill a 30 to 40,000 seat stadium and would be one of the best positioned for it. The rogers centre is not suitable for football, the seats get too high away from the field of view to be worth it.

Commonwealth stadium is a piece of **** and it doesn't have a roof. If Canada ever wants this event they will have to spend the money on stadiums that look like:

shizuoka_ecopa1.jpg

compared to crapenwealth stadium in all its sh!ttiness.

The American's are starting to with their new stadiums and Canada needs to to if they ever want to compete with the Americans or Australians for this tournament.

I agree about Commonwealth Stadium. I just don't think they'll build a new stadium in Edmonton. I honestly think they'll keep this stadium and try to fix it up extravagantly because right now it is one very ugly stadium.

And yes I could see 4 venues in Ontario. Why not? Ontario is the biggest province, majority of the soccer fans are situated in this region and the most culturally diverse communities live here. If you live in Toronto and it's surrounding regions (Mississauga, Vaughan, Hamilton, etc.), people go crazy when the World Cup is taking place and show their pride for their home countries teams. Toronto went crazy when Italy won the World Cup last year. Ontario's got the fanbase to host 4 venues with 2 of them being situated in Toronto.

I would like to here Guardians thought on this, but Calgary could use a new stadium, McMahon has a horrible concourse, and very little club seating and private boxes. And 8 billion dollars, spread out across 8 provinces, isnt really that bad. And keep in mind, the new Winnipeg stadium is being entirely privately financed. Heh, too bad continental rotation was thrown out when it was finally CONACAF's turn.

Well, McMahon Stadium has the look of the 1960s. Calgary needs a new such stadium: period. Unfortunately, unless the World Cup in whatever year comes to Canada (men's or women's) AND Calgary is in the line-up to host matches, then a new stadium for the city is totally out of the question. I don't know about you guys, but Calgary has never hosted any international soccer match yet; even St. John's, Newfoundland, has got that experience over my city. Really sad to me. <_<

Toronto - 90,000 New Stadium (Convertible athletics track if possible for future SOG) (Finals)

Montreal - 65,255 (It is doubtful that the city of Montreal would want to undergo the expense of building a new stadium, especially considering how much this one cost, also, it will be next to the new Soccer complex being built there, which should provide some sort of plus)

Edmonton - 60,081 Commonwealth Stadium (Why is there a need for a replacement?)

Vancouver - 60,000 New Stadium (Replacement for BC place Stadium) (Host Match)

Ottawa - 55,000 New Stadium (Room to add a platform for a future CG)

Toronto - 52,230 Skydome (Football configuration)

Calgary - 50,000 - 60,000 McMahon Stadium (Room for expansion, proven capacity from WOG, just need all seater and other requirements from FIFA)

Regina - 40,000 New Stadium

Winnipeg - 40,000 New Stadium

Hamilton - 45,000 New Stadium (Room to add a platform for a future CG)

Quebec City - 40,000 New Stadium (Possible PEPS upgrade, or new stadium on site of PEPS (will be only one with permanent athletics track))

Halifax - 45,000 New Stadium (Room to add a platform for a future CG)

I still don't see a full on blow out on building new stadiums for the whole country.

Forget a new stadium in Montreal.

We have one that we use only 5 or 6 days a year.

About Quebec City, it's possible because they want to get a franchise in the CFL.

(the revival of the rivalty "Canadiens-Nordiques" between Montreal and Quebec)

Archived