Who'll Make The Shortlist?

Rob.

In fact i just heard this news about China wanna biding for 2018 World Cup these days.

Amazing!

Needless to say that AFC will have a certain plan about it.

But China will pay much attention to this bid. CCTV-Olympic (China Central TV sports channel) had some news about 2018 bid.

And i think China will try best to be on the shortlist.

If it's true,

i am of opinion that China will put ten cities out to be the host cities.

1.Beijing

2.Shanghai

3.Chongqing

4.HongKong SAR

5.Wuhan

6.Shenyang

7.Hangzhou

8.GuangZhou

9.Tianjin

10.Jinan

China is realy equal to the task.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In fact i just heard this news about China wanna biding for 2018 World Cup these days.

Amazing!

Needless to say that AFC will have a certain plan about it.

But China will pay much attention to this bid. CCTV-Olympic (China Central TV sports channel) had some news about 2018 bid.

And i think China will try best to be on the shortlist.

If it's true,

i am of opinion that China will put ten cities out to be the host cities.

1.Beijing

2.Shanghai

3.Chongqing

4.HongKong SAR

5.Wuhan

6.Shenyang

7.Hangzhou

8.GuangZhou

9.Tianjin

10.Jinan

I disagree about Jinan. I think Shenzhen would be good but its too close to Hong Kong & Guangzhou. I think there a few more cities that can replace Jinan like Nanjing , Chengdu , Xi'an or Qingdao

I disagree about Jinan. I think Shenzhen would be good but its too close to Hong Kong & Guangzhou. I think there a few more cities that can replace Jinan like Nanjing , Chengdu , Xi'an or Qingdao

In fact Jinan is a city full of football passion.Jinan has a very good football team in China.

Chengdu and Qingdao OK.

But Xi'an,not enough passion i think.

• 3 weeks later...

The Australian bid is moving closer to a formal launch:

Australia working on bid for 2018 World Cup

16 hours ago

SYDNEY (AFP) — Football Federation Australia says it is conducting a major audit of national infrastructure in its efforts to launch a formal bid to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup, reports said Sunday.

Australia wants to host the tournament after South Africa (2010) and Brazil (2014), amid interest from China, England, a joint bid by Belgium and the Netherlands, Mexico, Russia, Uruguay and Argentina.

The winner will be announced in 2011.

"We are serious about bidding for 2018 and are currently conducting a major audit of the infrastructure within Australia," FFA chief executive Ben Buckley told Sydney's The Sun-Herald newspaper.

He said the FFA has commissioned a consulting firm to deliver a report by April outlining to what extent Australian facilities meet FIFA requirements for hosting the world's biggest single sporting event.

"We are also looking at everything from the number of training venues to accommodation in each potential host location, to transport issues and the public infrastructure that needs to be in place," Buckley said.

"I think we have as good a chance as anyone who is in the running, and we have made it known to FIFA that we have an ambition to host it. We have certainly had nothing but encouragement to do that."

Sydney will host the FIFA Congress in May, which the world governing body's executive committee that decides hosting rights for future World Cups.

Asia's football chief Mohamed bin Hammam has urged just one Asian bid to maximise the confederation's chances of hosting the 2018 World Cup.

Bin Hammam, here last November for the AFC Annual Awards, cautioned against conflicting Asian bids in the face of opposition from elsewhere.

Neat. I sure as hope it'll follow the Stadiums in each capital city plan! :)

And then of course, other stadiums in other cities that can support them.

Here's a new plan:

Melbourne: MCG - 100,000 (Oval)

Sydney: Stadium Australia - 83,500

Perth: New Stadium - 60,000 (Oval)

Brisbane: Lang Park - 52,500

Adelaide: New Stadium - 50,000 (Oval)

Newcastle: Marathon Stadium - 45,000

Canberra: Canberra Stadium - 43,000

Townsville: Stockland Stadium - 42,000

Gold Coast: Robina Stadium - 40,000

Tasmania: New Stadium - 40,000

Geelong: Kardinia Park - 36,000 (40,000 total Oval)

Darwin: Mararra Stadium - 25,000 (40,000 total Oval)

Well that brings in 5 oval venues (subject to change of course), from the 13 there, which isn't much of a problem IMO and would represent a fairly strong bid.

I'd be very surprised if the Americans backed out now. But, if they do, does that then add pressure to Brazil's preparations for 2014? And, am I the only one concerned by the questions over security raised in that piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Adelaide United FC has just announced a new 45,000 seat venue to be built near the CBD. Its only in the initial planning phase (no design or proper budget) but i really dont see this being a dead end street. The current venue, Hindmarsh Stadium (18,000) is a pile of crap. Boring, small and far from the city. AU FC attracted 40,000 spectators when they played at the Adelaide Oval. They struggle to get 16,000 at Hindmarsh.

That leaves Australia with the following major venues for a bid.

1. Melbourne 100,000 & 50,000 (either Telstra Dome or Football Stadium; currently 25,000 with planned expansion to 50,000 by 2016)

2. Sydney 84,000

3. Perth 65,000

4. Brisbane 52,000

5. Adelaide 45,000

6 existing major stadiums by 2016 and sizeable (most 20-30,000 venues) that will need modifications in Launceston, Townsville, Darwin, Gold Coast, Gosford, Newcastle,Canberra and Darwin.

I dont think Geelong would make a shortlist of venues for an Australian bid. Its an AFL town really. Skilled Stadium is suited for AFL, will be difficult to increase the capacity (due to planned renovation to be completed by 2010) and the city just isnt big enough.

Considering there are 8 (soon to be 10, Gold Coast and Northern Queensland) A-League teams (incld. one from New Zealand) i wouldnt be surprised if FFA just sticks with cities that have A-League supporter bases already. Oh and throw in Canberra just for kicks. **** Tasmania and NT....seriously, what have they ever done to deserve and/or prove they can host big events?

Archived