Who'll Make The Shortlist?

Rob.

The 2018 edition of the WC is going to Europe. It's pretty foolish to think that it'll go anywhere else other than Europe. Kinda like a certain 2016 Olympic bid city from a certain continent, not taking into account the 2012 Olympic host city, as some relentlessly like to point out.

Just like some have also mentioned that 3 southern hemishpere WC's won't happen, the other side of that coin is that 3 WC tournaments outside of Europe ain't gonna happen *either*. 2010 & 2014 marks the first-time that the event has been held consecutively outside of Europe. So surely FIFA is gonna want to head back to their creme-de-la-creme soccer powerhouse continent next.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think the hemisphere objections will come into it that much. I think FIFA will be looking for a "safe" option after going the more risky hosts in South Africa and Brazil. In saying that England, the US, China and Australia, i believe all are considered the safer option. They all have existing infrastrucutre (or the billions to throw at it in the case of China) and have records in hosting events.

I firmly believe that the technical side of each bid will be the main determining factor when it comes to the decision...rather than geographic and political factors.

I dont think the hemisphere objections will come into it that much. I think FIFA will be looking for a "safe" option after going the more risky hosts in South Africa and Brazil. In saying that England, the US, China and Australia, i believe all are considered the safer option. They all have existing infrastrucutre (or the billions to throw at it in the case of China) and have records in hosting events.

I firmly believe that the technical side of each bid will be the main determining factor when it comes to the decision...rather than geographic and political factors.

US, China and England are safe bets. Any others will need to prove their "safety".

US, China and England are safe bets. Any others will need to prove their "safety".

Thats why China is considering dropping its bid because Australia is considered the strongest in Asia and the AFC doesn't need to bids competing against each other....China has the most to prove of the 4 i listed.

Thats why China is considering dropping its bid because Australia is considered the strongest in Asia and the AFC doesn't need to bids competing against each other....China has the most to prove of the 4 i listed.

I'd rank China above Australia. It has a third of the world in one country and great venues to host.

I think Baron is funny...

USA's turn

We Deserve it

Our time

24 years since the last world cup in the USA

Sounds just like a bunch of Nigerians bidding for a Commonwealth Games!

My opinon is that it will come down to England, US, Australia, with the US going out in the first round and England getting the nod over Australia in the final round in a very close bid!

China will drop out and then go for 2022.

I'd rank China above Australia. It has a third of the world in one country and great venues to host.

China above Australia? Surely not!

Sure, China would host a good World Cup, there are still some negative points I'd give that would put the country behind Australia.

Let's start with some pros:

- Large population means full packed stadiums (I'm sure the government will ensure that if insufficient tickets are sold to foreigners, locals of the cities will fill the rest of the seats)

- High capacity venues

- Most if not all stadiums already built

Now here are the cons:

- In spite of a large number of high capacity stadiums, most if not all are athletics track based, not everyone enjoys watching at such oval stadiums and I'm sure Fifa would like a majority of the stadiums to be rectangular based if possible

- Pollution problems in major cities will need to be resolved

- Poor showing of the National Team on the world stage

- Transportation problems perhaps?

At any rate, the Football tournament for the 2008 Olympics will ultimately determine whether or not China will be ready of suited for hosting a Fifa World Cup.

Transportation problems perhaps?

How about Perth & Darwin , they're alot further for the rest.

Actually, Chinese cities need to have an image. Usually , its only Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong , the other cities aren't as well known . Besides , China is still developing and growing. A lot is work is needed , like look how much the goverment is going for Beijing. And I think we need to see how 2008 goes .

How about Perth & Darwin , they're alot further for the rest.

Actually, Chinese cities need to have an image. Usually , its only Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong , the other cities aren't as well known . Besides , China is still developing and growing. A lot is work is needed , like look how much the goverment is going for Beijing. And I think we need to see how 2008 goes .

Yeah sure Perth and Darwin is a lot further in comparison to the Eastern seaboard cities, but remember, at most it takes 3 hours by plane to get from Melbourne or Sydney to Perth, Matches will be logical assigned in cities, so one supporting team can easily go from say Darwin to their next match in say Townsville or Adelaide to Perth.

At any rate, traveling times via plane (which will surely have the low fare airlines here have cheap promotions and extra flights etc), should be more than sufficient when it comes to traveling spectators to Darwin or Perth.

I would still rank China above Australia. I don't think Australia will make the final round, but I think England will be there.

The AFC has already announced that the Chinese bid is likely to be put on hold if Australia bids for 2018. I imagine that Australia and China will take turns in bidding until one finally snags it again for Asia as its unlikely any other nations in the region could put forward sucessful bids...there is really only Australia, China, Japan/Korea and in a decade, India).

Australia offers just as bid stadiums as China. Population doesnt come into things as either way th stadiums would be full. Australia offers a better climate. Transport plans are equal. China has more money to throw around if need be, but Australia is pretty much ready. Pollution puts a downer on China but it offers much more market for expansion. Australia has a bigger current support base than China despite the smaller population.

Which ever bid goes forward it will make the final two. Whether either of them could over come England for 2018 is another story. The whole continent crap wont come into it. Either three are very capable and Blater has already stated he would support going back to Asia in 2018 and has already had numerous meetings with the FFA and the Prime Minister.

Another major European/Big Football bid (Spain, Italy, Mexico) is put forward that could make an English win less likely.

I really can't see either Italy or Spain bidding. Italian football has major issues to overcome at the present moment and lost out for Euro 2012, so I feel it is unrealistic to list them as a serious contender. Spain, like Italy, is a comparatively recent host as well and I just don't see them mounting a challenge at this time.

However, you do touch on a valid point about too many European bids spoiling all their chances. I think that is something that Michel Platini has already recognised. One of the prime reasons that Germany won 2006, for example, was that it had almost total, if not total, UEFA support, giving it a very strong foothold. If England, or any other European bidder has that come 2011, they will be very difficult to beat.

As far as the whole Australia v China debate is concerned, I would personally be more concerned about a run-off against Australia than China. There's no doubting that any proposal China puts forward will be strong, particularly if the Beijing Olympics next year are successful. However, an Australian bid, like an England one, would be a formidable opponent in my book. They have a track record of staging events of this kind that few of its rivals in this contest have and that makes them the bid I would worry about the most at the moment. Obviously, much can change between now and the day of reckoning, but that's how it seems to me at this time.

However, an Australian bid, like an England one, would be a formidable opponent in my book. They have a track record of staging events of this kind that few of its rivals in this contest have and that makes them the bid I would worry about the most at the moment. Obviously, much can change between now and the day of reckoning, but that's how it seems to me at this time.

I agree. Australian sports federations always take bids with a profesional approach that we don´t see often from other countries/federations. If they bid we can be sure that it will be a strong bid, they won´t measure their efforts in meeting every Fifa´s demands of quality or quantity.

And I also believe that transportation wouldn´t be a problem. I remember when USA staged the WC in 1994 there was this concern too, but it proved not to be a problem since groups were wise-organized and the schedule antecipated a gap of time enough for teams to travel from, let´s say, Los Angeles to New York and be ready to play without feeling harmed due to the time spent on planes.

I think Baron is funny...

USA's turn

We Deserve it

Our time

24 years since the last world cup in the USA

China will drop out and then go for 2022.

And u actually bought into that? :lol::lol:

Re OZ's 2018 chances: If as FYI had said earlier, no way are 3 WC's in a row going to be played outside Europe, then no way too will 3 WCs in a row in the Southern Hemipshere come to pass. China will count itself out for 2018 because outside of beijing and HKG, their people will still be spitting in public. Yecch!

The 2018 finals will come down to the US vs. the UK. We deserve it!!

Re OZ's 2018 chances: If as FYI had said earlier, no way are 3 WC's in a row going to be played outside Europe, then no way too will 3 WCs in a row in the Southern Hemipshere come to pass. China will count itself out for 2018 because outside of beijing and HKG, their people will still be spitting in public. Yecch!

Actually , that happens in Hong Kong too. :lol: When I was there in 2005 , I remember people smoking indoors !

Guest Jensen1981
FIFA has a 'too-compact' rule. 2 major city-venues cannot be closer than 150 mi apart. Therefore, that eliminates the Benelux bid, why, the UK too...leaving only the US and China as the 2 most viable bidders for 2018.

This is complete bullshit. There is no such rule.

Such a rule, if it even exists which I have major doubts about, is totally unworkable. How do you define what a "major city" is exactly? I suspect all this is is another one of Baron's ridiculous wind-ups to move people away from the arrogance and selfishness of any US bid.

Such a rule, if it even exists which I have major doubts about, is totally unworkable. How do you define what a "major city" is exactly? I suspect all this is is another one of Baron's ridiculous wind-ups to move people away from the arrogance and selfishness of any US bid.

I have no idea if this rule exists, it doesn't have anything to do with the reason for my post. I take offense to the comment of

. . . .the arrogance and selfishness of any US bid.
What would make a bid by the USA arrogant and selfish? If it is decided that a bid by the US is better (also could be read as safer) than any of the other bids, then so be it. I am not saying that a bid by the USA is important because "we deserve it" but I think we do deserve the right to bid without being called arrogant and selfish!

I believe that any of the countries that have been tossed around would successfully host the 2018 World Cup, I went to a few of the matches in 1994 and it was quite an experience! Maybe the next generation of American kids would benefit from the same experience that I had at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. I think this exposure to an experience that can't be equaled by watching an MLS match could make some new soccer fanatics out of American kids!

I'm sorry if you don't like my view, but I stand by every single word of it and I will continue to do so. As much as the USA may be a contender for 2018, and a very strong one at that, my view is that they should not be. They have hosted the tournament very recently comparatively and the confederation of which they are a member has provided the host country of one third of the tournaments from 1970 onwards.

There have been many discussions on the whole issue of continental rotation, particularly in the context of the 2018 contest. My view is now as it has always been - any system of host rotation has to take full account of the number of nations capable of staging the tournament in the respective confederations. It is a nonsense to say, as supporters of the previous rotation system argue, that Europe, the main heartland of the game with the largest spread of nations capable of organising the finals, should only have the same hosting rights as, say, North America where, with the best will in the world, there are only two or three nations who have the necessary credentials to take it on. In that context, I don't believe it is reasonable for the USA to host again at this time.

I'm not saying they can't. I'm not saying they won't. I'm simply expressing my view that, at this time, they shouldn't and that to bid does suggest an element of arrogance and selfishness. Wouldn't you think the same if Germany were to bid for any of the next few World Cups? Or if Britain were to bid for Olympics in the years after 2012? I know I would.

I'm sorry if you don't like my view, but I stand by every single word of it and I will continue to do so. As much as the USA may be a contender for 2018, and a very strong one at that, my view is that they should not be. They have hosted the tournament very recently comparatively and the confederation of which they are a member has provided the host country of one third of the tournaments from 1970 onwards.

There have been many discussions on the whole issue of continental rotation, particularly in the context of the 2018 contest. My view is now as it has always been - any system of host rotation has to take full account of the number of nations capable of staging the tournament in the respective confederations. It is a nonsense to say, as supporters of the previous rotation system argue, that Europe, the main heartland of the game with the largest spread of nations capable of organising the finals, should only have the same hosting rights as, say, North America where, with the best will in the world, there are only two or three nations who have the necessary credentials to take it on. In that context, I don't believe it is reasonable for the USA to host again at this time.

I'm not saying they can't. I'm not saying they won't. I'm simply expressing my view that, at this time, they shouldn't and that to bid does suggest an element of arrogance and selfishness. Wouldn't you think the same if Germany were to bid for any of the next few World Cups? Or if Britain were to bid for Olympics in the years after 2012? I know I would.

This is complete bullshit. There is no such rule.

It not a complete bullshit but comprehensive analytical of the scheme by those who know better than us!

. . . .

I must admit that I do agree with you on the idea that the rotation between confederations is unfair if you don't take into account the number of nations who could successfully host a World Cup in each confederation. I was thinking about that even before I read your post. But, I do not think a bid by the USA means we are selfish or arrogant. If FIFA takes all of these things into account then the best bid put forth should win. If Germany were to bid again for 2018 I highly doubt they would win unless no other bids with a chance of success were put forward. There is no reason for England to fear a bid by the USA, if England puts forth a bid that FIFA can rely upon then surely the bid by the US would be defeated! It should make England proud to know that they won despite a strong bid from America!!!

I understand how you feel, it has been since 1966 that England has hosted the World Cup, the USA hosted in 1994. Hopefully the best bid wins, be it from England, the USA, Australia, Benelux or China.

In either case, I hope that we can get together and take in a match or two together in 2018.

. . . .

I must admit that I do agree with you on the idea that the rotation between confederations is unfair if you don't take into account the number of nations who could successfully host a World Cup in each confederation. I was thinking about that even before I read your post. But, I do not think a bid by the USA means we are selfish or arrogant. If FIFA takes all of these things into account then the best bid put forth should win. If Germany were to bid again for 2018 I highly doubt they would win unless no other bids with a chance of success were put forward. There is no reason for England to fear a bid by the USA, if England puts forth a bid that FIFA can rely upon then surely the bid by the US would be defeated! It should make England proud to know that they won despite a strong bid from America!!!

I understand how you feel, it has been since 1966 that England has hosted the World Cup, the USA hosted in 1994. Hopefully the best bid wins, be it from England, the USA, Australia, Benelux or China.

In either case, I hope that we can get together and take in a match or two together in 2018.

Archived