Who'll Make The Shortlist?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me get this right. You agree with me that any system of rotation must take the number of nations within those confederations capable of hosting into account, but yet you don't see the prematurity of the American bid?

That is correct!

I see no reason for the USA to not bid, while at the same time I completely understand your feeling that Europe should have the right to host more World Cup's than the other continents. If others feel the same as you then what does England have to fear if the USA submits a bid? There will be no votes for the USA if their bid is "premature, selfish and arrogant." I just feel it is quite ironic that you feel that the USA must hold back it's bid for 2018 to insure an English win! Shouldn't England be able to win the right to host 2018 on merit rather than knowing some other countries should not put forth a bid because it has been a long time since England has hosted????

When did I say the US shouldn't bid so England could win? I think the implication you're making is a very cheap shot.

Then please give a reason for the USA not to submit a bid. You say my country is selfish and arrogant if they submit a bid and that a bid by the USA would be premature (to me that is saying that you want the USA to refrain from bidding). As I have said, if England submits a bid the is satisfactory to FIFA then England should win if a sufficient number of the voters feel like you. How do you expect people to feel about what you are saying. It sounds to me as if you are asking other nations to step aside so England can assume it's place as World Cup Host 2018!

My entire point is that it should be a competition between nations to elect the best host for the 2018 World Cup! Certainly, just because one country submits the best technical bid doesn't guarantee that they will win as sentiment does play a part. I am sure England will win some votes over the USA based solely on the fact that it last hosted in 1966 and the USA in 1994 (and rightly so) but that isn't enough by itself.

Wouldn't the victory be sweeter if it was won over strong competition rather than just being handed to you?

If it 'sounds to you' as you say it does, then I suggest you haven't understood what I am saying. I'm not asking for anything to be handed to anyone, so don't get all high and mighty with me. I am simply stating a not unreasonable position that for the USA to bid again for a World Cup so soon after 1994 is too early. To think that the USA is somehow 'deserving' of another hosting so soon is, and I'm going to say it again, arrogant and selfish. You may not like that, but quite frankly I couldn't care less. Forums such as this are supposed to be about opinions and I won't shy away from expressing mine, whether you like it or not.

May I repeat once again I have never said the US won't do it or can't do it. I am just asking the question why now? Why should FIFA go back to the US so soon? What makes US football think it deserves the honour of hosting this tournament for a second time in such a comparatively short space of time, particularly against such "strong competition"? I've answered your question clearly on more than one occasion. Perhaps you could afford me the same courtesy. While you're at it, consider how you'd react if London bid for the 2036 Olympics. Would you think that was fair enough.

And, in case you haven't noticed, we've got plenty more to our bid than just sentiment, thank you very much. And since when have Australia and China not been strong contenders? It seems to me that you're increasingly adopting a woe betide anyone who dares challenge US supremacy position, which will look increasingly ridiculous if it becomes any more entrenched.

If it 'sounds to you' as you say it does, then I suggest you haven't understood what I am saying. I'm not asking for anything to be handed to anyone, so don't get all high and mighty with me. I am simply stating a not unreasonable position that for the USA to bid again for a World Cup so soon after 1994 is too early. To think that the USA is somehow 'deserving' of another hosting so soon is, and I'm going to say it again, arrogant and selfish. You may not like that, but quite frankly I couldn't care less. Forums such as this are supposed to be about opinions and I won't shy away from expressing mine, whether you like it or not.

May I repeat once again I have never said the US won't do it or can't do it. I am just asking the question why now? Why should FIFA go back to the US so soon? What makes US football think it deserves the honour of hosting this tournament for a second time in such a comparatively short space of time, particularly against such "strong competition"? I've answered your question clearly on more than one occasion. Perhaps you could afford me the same courtesy. While you're at it, consider how you'd react if London bid for the 2036 Olympics. Would you think that was fair enough.

And, in case you haven't noticed, we've got plenty more to our bid than just sentiment, thank you very much. And since when have Australia and China not been strong contenders? It seems to me that you're increasingly adopting a woe betide anyone who dares challenge US supremacy position, which will look increasingly ridiculous if it becomes any more entrenched.

All I have said that the US deserves is the right to bid without it being considered arrogant and selfish. I do not claim that we deserve anything as far as hosting a World Cup (or Olympics, Pan Am Games, any international sporting event).

As for London bidding for the 2036 Olympic Games, if they wish to put forth a bid, that is wonderful! I would be confident enough that the IOC would not elect them as host unless they were overwhelmingly superior to the other cities that had put forth a bid. And, if they were selected as host, I would raise my glass and toast to them in celebration!!!

I am sure that if you looked closely at my previous posts on this topic and others you will see that I am not pushing for the USA to host as many competitions as they possibly can. In a previous post on this thread I even said that England deserves votes over the USA because they haven't hosted since 1966 while the USA hosted in 1994. I am not sure what more I can say to you. All I said from post #1 was that I resented the fact that you called my country selfish and arrogant based on the fact of bidding for a sporting event. I never said that I thought 2018 should be held in the USA, just that I felt it was not unreasonable for us to bid.

You're entitled to your views and I respect your views. But don't expect me to agree with them or simply let what you say go unchallenged.

You say the US deserves the right to bid without being considered selfish and arrogant. Well, why don't they wait a more reasonable time from their last hosting then? That is the key issue in this, and the issue that you keep ducking. Just because they can bid, does that necessarily mean that they should?

Be realistic about it. The US wouldn't be bidding if it didn't think it could win.

As for your comments on the London scenario, call me cynical but I'm far from convinced you'd react in that way. Are you seriously saying you would be happy to see that? Are you seriously telling me you would have been happy to see, say Italy bid for the 2014 World Cup? Or Mexico for 2010? Spain for 2006 maybe? Come on.

You're entitled to your views and I respect your views. But don't expect me to agree with them or simply let what you say go unchallenged.

You say the US deserves the right to bid without being considered selfish and arrogant. Well, why don't they wait a more reasonable time from their last hosting then? That is the key issue in this, and the issue that you keep ducking. Just because they can bid, does that necessarily mean that they should?

Be realistic about it. The US wouldn't be bidding if it didn't think it could win.

As for your comments on the London scenario, call me cynical but I'm far from convinced you'd react in that way. Are you seriously saying you would be happy to see that? Are you seriously telling me you would have been happy to see, say Italy bid for the 2014 World Cup? Or Mexico for 2010? Spain for 2006 maybe? Come on.

I am not ducking any issue. I feel that a city/country that bids on an event after too a short period of time since they last hosted the same event will more than likely not win the right to host it. As I said in the previous post:

As for London bidding for the 2036 Olympic Games, if they wish to put forth a bid, that is wonderful! I would be confident enough that the IOC would not elect them as host unless they were overwhelmingly superior to the other cities that had put forth a bid. And, if they were selected as host, I would raise my glass and toast to them in celebration!!!

I honestly believe that a bid that is "premature" will be rejected unless there is a very good reason to award the bid to the "premature" bidder!

As for 2018, I do believe that England would easily beat the USA for the right to host but Australia would be a different story if they submitted a substantial bid!!!

Does that explain my view a bit better? I hope it does.

It's all very well saying a premature bid probably won't win, but that is not the issue I'm raising as well you know. The technical proficiency that the US brings to the table is not in dispute, but I do not see a compelling emotional case for them. Given that, and the very strong competition, I can't see why the US couldn't wait for a better chance further down the track.

It's all very well saying a premature bid probably won't win, but that is not the issue I'm raising as well you know. The technical proficiency that the US brings to the table is not in dispute, but I do not see a compelling emotional case for them. Given that, and the very strong competition, I can't see why the US couldn't wait for a better chance further down the track.

I am afraid the only point I see in your argument is that if the US does not put forth a bid then there is a better chance for England to win the right to host. I know you will say that is not the point you are trying to make but if you take a step back maybe you will be able to see what you are actually saying without the shadow that is cast by your love of football and the desire to see the greatest sporting spectacle on earth!

Let the best bid win (I don't mean the best technical bid but the best bid once all the variables are weighed into each bid)!!!

With all due respect, I don't need to take a step back. All you are doing is taking my view and reading something into it that simply is not there. I've made my opinions clear enough. If you want to start thinking of other nonsense to go with it, that's your lookout.

I think England will do it in 2018, but think China and Australia will push very hard too. Don`t consider the Americans a threat.

that pretty much sums up the situation. Its Englands to loose really...though i think the chance of that happening might be higher than usual.

With all due respect, I don't need to take a step back. All you are doing is taking my view and reading something into it that simply is not there. I've made my opinions clear enough. If you want to start thinking of other nonsense to go with it, that's your lookout.

No I have nothing else to add. I believe I have made my point as clearly as I possibly could. I agree that England should win the hosting rights to 2018 - that was never in question as far as I am concerned.

End of comments from me.

Best of luck to whoever puts forth the best bid!

that pretty much sums up the situation. Its Englands to loose really...though i think the chance of that happening might be higher than usual.

England's to lose? Not sure I would be comfortable with us being in that position or that I would go as far as to assess it in those terms. We have to assume nothing.

England's to lose? Not sure I would be comfortable with us being in that position or that I would go as far as to assess it in those terms. We have to assume nothing.

I would think this is the established assertion from all those in FIFA at the moment...as we dont have any bid details. You (England) may not assume anything (which is good) but its not only England who votes and determines the host. At the moment you're in a Chicago 2016 position. From the outset your the best and most popular bid...though can this be maintained all the way to 2011?

I would hope we have learned from the mistakes of the 2006 bid. Number one of those being this - make sure you've got majority European support.

As for who is the front-runner, I think it's hard to pick one out, especially with things at such an early stage and with such a formidable array of contenders vying for it. I suppose we have the extra emotional factor over any of the other bidders, but all the leading bids are very strong technically.

In fact i just heard this news about China wanna biding for 2018 World Cup these days.

Amazing!

Needless to say that AFC will have a certain plan about it.

But China will pay much attention to this bid. CCTV-Olympic (China Central TV sports channel) had some news about 2018 bid.

And i think China will try best to be on the shortlist.

If it's true,

i am of opinion that China will put ten cities out to be the host cities.

1.Beijing

2.Shanghai

3.Chongqing

4.HongKong SAR

5.Wuhan

6.Shenyang

7.Hangzhou

8.GuangZhou

9.Tianjin

10.Jinan

Archived