Who'll Make The Shortlist?

Rob.

Fifa could shorten 2018 bid list

England's bid for the 2018 World Cup may have to pass an initial elimination vote because so many countries are interested in hosting the event.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter said a short-list of candidate nations could be named before the host country is unveiled in 2011.

England are desperate to host the competition they last staged in 1966.

But they already face competition from the USA, Canada, Mexico, Russia, China, Belgium/Holland and Spain.

Blatter said Fifa could now follow the Olympics by whittling the list down from up to nine possible bid countries before choosing the winner.

Link

------

This adds an interesting twist to the whole debate. Who makes your shortlist and why?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess would be:

Australia (A nice new frontier)

Benelux (To make it interesting)

England (Sentimental reasons, along with a multitude of new (and using existing of course) stadiums for the country)

USA (Dramatically different to 1994 WC, what with all the new stadiums which fit well into capacity and FIFA requirements)

So that will mean:

Canada (Possible great expense, lack of new stadiums (though committed to build), need to prove themselves on the WC stage)

China (All the stadiums necessary sure, but still need to prove themselves on the WC stage)

Comoros (It was a joke bid ok? Get over it, sure they're committed to building a FIFA required stadium in their capital city, well good for them! :P )

Mexico (No real need for a WC a 3rd time, maybe try for latter WCs)

Russia (Not enough experience, too big a country, logistical problem if Premier League cities are chosen as host cities, potential backlash if only to be held on the "western" side of Russia)

Spain (Why does Spain need another WC especially given the other sporting events they're hoping to host)

Right now, Canada has a "crisis", when it comes to leadership in the national soccer program. That has exasperated further, when Canada did not go past the group stage in both the U-20 (on home soil) and the Women's World Cup this year.

To have Canada wanting to bid for the 2018 World Cup at this time would be foolhardy. Despite that soccer has "more participants" overall than even ice hockey in the country, the national teams' showings in the world stage does not show it to me. It makes me wonder, if Canada is the "real holdout", when it comes to the popularity of the sport in the industrialized world.

The AFC Director was quoted this week as saying if Asia bids for the 2018 event, it will do so with one country only, so China will not be up against Australia. He said that Asia would need to do this in order to get behind the Asian candidate, and that he hoped it was Australia with the bid.

Pulling out of the 2011 Womens World Cup was stratergy for Australia. Watch and see!

Pulling out of the 2011 Womens World Cup was stratergy for Australia. Watch and see!

I totally agree. What other reason could there be for their withdrawal from the 2011 Women's World Cup? They must have believed this would benefit them in their run at the 2018 Men's version.

I totally agree. What other reason could there be for their withdrawal from the 2011 Women's World Cup? They must have believed this would benefit them in their run at the 2018 Men's version.

Don't you guys get it? 2018 ain't gonna happen in Oz. :rolleyes: That would be 3 southern hemisphere WCs in a row - and uh-uh. :rolleyes: They'd be as foolish as Madrid is now. :rolleyes:

Don't you guys get it? 2018 ain't gonna happen in Oz. :rolleyes: That would be 3 southern hemisphere WCs in a row - and uh-uh. :rolleyes: They'd be as foolish as Madrid is now. :rolleyes:

Did I say Australia was gonna win or that I favour them? NO!!!

London 2012, Glasgow 2014, England 2018. Are there any big international sporting events in 2016 (besides the Olympics)? I think the UK is missing that year for the 2010-2020 decade. Oh yeah, Euro. Maybe Wales and Scotland could bid for Euro 2016.

London 2012, Glasgow 2014, England 2018. Are there any big international sporting events in 2016 (besides the Olympics)? I think the UK is missing that year for the 2010-2020 decade. Oh yeah, Euro. Maybe Wales and Scotland could bid for Euro 2016.

Not quite 2016, but the 2015 Rugby World Cup is up for grabs (and, yes, England have expressed interest).

Not quite 2016, but the 2015 Rugby World Cup is up for grabs (and, yes, England have expressed interest).

Someone should curtail this England interest in every games here and there. This is getting out of hand. I don't think I like this any more about England. Greed will always consume the rich.

I think the short list is going to be made by China, Australia and England. After all, Australia fits for the old rotation policy that Blatter was looking for. And also it is a good way to spread the sport in that side of the world. The same case of China. They are realising that the chinese market is huge and full of profits. For Beijing 2008 is nearly sold out. For England, I think it will be too much after Scotland got the Commonwealth Games. British taxpayers will be mad.

The World Cup will be hugely profitable if it were in England; taxpayers won't be hit at all.

Why do you think so, Rob? There is always unforeseen factor like accident.

Because most of the stadiums already exist. There's not a lot of building work that'll have to take place for England to host. If we do have to pay any tax I think it'll almost certainly be worth it as the money brought into the economy will far outweigh the cost of hosting.

It has been estimated that the UK economy will be £1bn worse off through England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008. That shows how much influence football has on our economy and for that reason I'm sure a world cup on home soil would bring in a huge amount of money.

Guest Jensen1981
Because most of the stadiums already exist. There's not a lot of building work that'll have to take place for England to host. If we do have to pay any tax I think it'll almost certainly be worth it as the money brought into the economy will far outweigh the cost of hosting.

It has been estimated that the UK economy will be £1bn worse off through England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008. That shows how much influence football has on our economy and for that reason I'm sure a world cup on home soil would bring in a huge amount of money.

Where is the element of sport in your story anyway :blink: . England is rich, England has got all the stadiums, England gets the Olympics, England wants the Commonwealth Games, football is important for the UK economy, because England did not qualify for Euro 2008, they suddenly deserve a World Cup, etcetera, etcetera. One thing is for sure: An England bid on the World Cup 2018 would lack any legacy. Such a bid would lack the true essence of a World Cup bid: true sports.

I think England should tone down a bit. They still talk as if Brittannia rules the waves........which isn't the case at all. They should know their place and improve their national football team first. And one last thing. People tend to forget it's not a United Kingdom bid, but an England bid.

Where is the element of sport in your story anyway :blink: . England is rich, England has got all the stadiums, England gets the Olympics, England wants the Commonwealth Games, football is important for the UK economy, because England did not qualify for Euro 2008, they suddenly deserve a World Cup, etcetera, etcetera. One thing is for sure: An England bid on the World Cup 2018 would lack any legacy. Such a bid would lack the true essence of a World Cup bid: true sports.

Why will our bid lack true sport? My last two replies did because someone made a point about the taxpapyers not liking our bid which I corrected. If you want to go head-to-head on which of our countries has a bigger passion for football bring it on, but tbh I'd rather not have a dick size competition here. You know full well an England 2018 hosting will come with passionate fans and a country that knows football inside out, so don't pretend otherwise to score points.

I think England should tone down a bit. They still talk as if Brittannia rules the waves........which isn't the case at all. They should know their place and improve their national football team first. And one last thing. People tend to forget it's not a United Kingdom bid, but an England bid.

Nobody has forgotten it's an England bid.

Your call for us to improve our national team before we bid seems to be the only "hole" you can pick in an England bid and that's perhaps why you're so keen to point it out again and again despite the fact that it's almost irrelevent (South Africa, Japan, the US and Korea have hosted recently or will host soon; they're not exactly world beaters).

And as for your assertion that we talk as if "Brittannia rules the waves", that's just rubbish and it wreaks of something that someone with no decent, analytical thoughts would come up with to criticise our bid. If you want a decent discussion, you'll have to do better than that because I won't entertain a debate on those grounds.

Archived