What Will Happen In England's Football ?

What a strange promise to make!

I don't think that was ever going to be true just as I don't believe the reverse is true. Just because they said that and it hasn't happened it doesn't automatically mean the problem lies with the Premier League. The logic behind that claim is flawed:

I haven't said it is the only problem, but it is one of the major problems. The Premier League needs to be fundamentally reformed and if the clubs won't do it voluntarily, then the FA must do so of its own will. Reduce it to 16 clubs from the season after next (too late to do it this season), and enforce minimum numbers of English players in each match-day squad. This is the only way that Premier League clubs will get the message.

How long exactly are Premier League clubs supposed to persist with an English player crossing their fingers that they may become the next Ian Wright when the likelyhood is they'll probably be the next Titus Bramble?

My argument is to give them a chance. If they don't take it, that's their problem. But we won't know how good or otherwise they can be unless they get the opportunity.

While we're at it, we also need to reform the academy rules. I know this is something Alex Ferguson has been talking about and he is right. At the moment, clubs can only sign English players from within 90 minutes travel time. Like that's going to encourage them to develop English players.

Isn´t reducing the number of foreign players against the rules of FIFA and UEFA and even against European law?

I'm not talking about cutting the numbers of foreign players in principal, Goethe. I'm talking about extending what UEFA has already proposed for its competitions - minimum numbers of English players. They are imposing it on clubs' squads for their competitions. What I am proposing is that it is imposed on every single match-day selection. I'm no legal expert but if the governing body is going down this road, European law cannot surely be an issue.

Well, that's another manager almost certainly out of the running for the England job...

Five men have been arrested in connection with alleged corruption in football, police have said.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp and chief executive Peter Storrie are among those held on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7116823.stm

Well, that's another manager almost certainly out of the running for the England job...

Five men have been arrested in connection with alleged corruption in football, police have said.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp and chief executive Peter Storrie are among those held on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7116823.stm

The issue with the English team should be corruption not the doing away with foreign players,as ROB earlier said.

That's not really what I said. I just said one particular manager, Harry Redknapp, looks to out of the running because he was arrested last night.

There's no point extending this particular point into a general point about English football as it doesn't work.

That's not really what I said. I just said one particular manager, Harry Redknapp, looks to out of the running because he was arrested last night.

There's no point extending this particular point into a general point about English football as it doesn't work.

Why was he arrested?

He was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting.

Of course that doesn't mean he's guilty of anything, but just the fact he's been arrested will mean the FA will steer clear of him in my opinion. They won't want the potential embarrassment of an England manager going to court as a defendent.

He was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting.

Of course that doesn't mean he's guilty of anything, but just the fact he's been arrested will mean the FA will steer clear of him in my opinion. They won't want the potential embarrassment of an England manager going to court as a defendent.

Meaning he was part of the suspected ring of perpetrators? Embarrassment or not, to DEFRAUD is a grave issue!

There must be a confusion in the system at the moment.

I think he could have done a good job tbh.

I don't disagree with that. He's one of a number of English managers who have done excellent jobs with "smaller" clubs and never seem to get the big jobs. But having had their fingers burnt with McClaren, I think the FA will be looking towards bigger names than Redknapp this time around.

Archived