Accommodation In Beijing

Linna, WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?! Advertising on message boards is a BAD CHINESE HABIT and it is unwelcome and against the rules here. It's not appreciated the first time and doing it over and over for post after post, and on other threads, is making me angry. If you have nothing useful to add to the discussion, go away.

jiejie, at least he/she's doing in the right thread. And if I was going, I would've appreciated his posting because it would've offered me an alternative. Plus, Linna's doing it in a very personal way. So I think it is NOT objectionable. It may actually provide a service.

jiejie, at least he/she's doing in the right thread. And if I was going, I would've appreciated his posting because it would've offered me an alternative. Plus, Linna's doing it in a very personal way. So I think it is NOT objectionable. It may actually provide a service.

Baron, maybe you're just a lot more tolerant than me. Or maybe my skepticism about Chinese posting commercial messages disguised as "personal" offers of "help" is just in overdrive due to wide experience with these sorts, and their ability to gum up a discussion board if left unchallenged. However, surely even you would agree that it shouldn't be necessary to put an offer of assistance on the table using 3 identical sequential postings over 8 minutes on one thread. Not to mention doing same on a couple of other GB threads, totally unrelated to accommodation or BJ visits. My personal advice is to approach Linna and those like him with caution, or at the very least a sense of adventure along with a firm hand on your wallet.

OMG!!! Baron and tolerant in the same sentence!!! That's unheard of

How did you mean?

And now we have "Susan." This is what I was trying to get across, that once a Chinese tout finds a friendly discussion board to peddle their wares, the word gets out among them, and they multiply like rabbits. If you think this is truly going to be helpful for GB'ers looking for accommodation, then I've got a Beijing tea ceremony waiting for you, and I'll even throw in a fine artwork display as well!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've decided to rent an apartment - there are some great deals for places up near the Asian Games Village - thus very close to the Olympic Green. I am hoping to not get totally ripped off - though worse case scenario I'll just call in some favours and bunk in wth the media!

• 1 month later...
Just heard (from a usually reliable local source) that BOCOG will release its block on hotel rooms in May. I still think that for those who are willing to wait a bit longer, there will be plenty of hotel rooms to go around when all is said and done, and that prices in most of the middle market accommodations will come down significantly.

So did this happen? Has BOCOG released hotel space?

And are prices falling yet?

So did this happen? Has BOCOG released hotel space?

And are prices falling yet?

I think so, except maybe for some of the premier hotels that are still awaiting final bookings/confirmations from foreign and domestic VIP's and those earmarked for particular delegations, officials, referees, etc. Prices have definitely peaked but in my opinion are still too high in most price categories. I think as the calendar ticks into July, the sense of desperation will become more pronounced, and more willingness to deal on price/terms should happen.

For some interesting context, read the following very recent articles:

NY Times Article

Forbes Article

There has been a notable drop in normal tourism and conventioneering that started back in April, and it's now pretty clear this will continue through the summer and even during the Olympics--there will be FAR fewer foreign visitors than originally estimated. The wild card for accommodations will be how many domestic Chinese Games attendees will be travelling to Beijing and in need of accommodations--which will likely be concentrated in the thriftier establishments. I'm getting mixed opinions on this from my Chinese contacts here. I do believe that the government WILL restrict non-Beijingers travelling to Beijing during the Games, unless they can show event tickets. So, it's not as if half of China will just be showing up to party in the streets.

Note that some hotels/hostels that are shown as "sold out" actually still have empty rooms for the Games, but the rooms are in the hands of travel or private agents that block purchased them for resale. My advice is to try a double-pronged strategy, simultaneously: A) pick a few choices you can live with and contact those places directly to check on availability, and if they'll "deal" ; B) go to one or two reliable online booking sites to also check availability and pricing. For China, I recommend www.sinohotel.com as it often has more local contacts in more price ranges than the well-known big int'l booking sites. I'd try to get things wrapped up soon, as you will now normally need to show confirmed accommodation bookings at the time you apply for your Chinese visa. If you already have a Chinese visa that will work for you during the Games, then you'll probably be OK with 3 more weeks of looking and negotiating.