Bulgaria And Romania Euro 2020 Bid

ghost1

Bulgaria, Romania discussing joint Euro 2020 bid

SOFIA, Nov 19 (Reuters) - Balkan neighbours Bulgaria and Romania could table a joint bid to host the 2020 European Championship finals, the Bulgarian Football Union (BFU) said.

"This is not a mirage, it's completely possible," BFU president Borislav Mihaylov was quoted as saying in Bulgarian newspaper 7 dni sport. "It's not about an Olympic Games, it's only a one-sport competition."

"We must build four new stadiums and we can do it in the next 12 years.

Info:

Stadiums in Bulgaria (@FussballTempel.net)

Stadiums in Bulgaria (@WorldStadiums.com)

Stadiums in Romania (@FussballTempel.net)

Stadiums in Romania (@WorldStadiums.com)

You wonder with 2016 going to Poland/Ukraine whether UEFA might pick a more traditional/safe host for 2020. I've heard France are interested, for example.

Mind you, this one is such a long way off yet, all speculation is meaningless.

2012 is in Poland/Ukraine, 2016 isn't decided yet, but the head of the Bulgarian Football Union said that because of Eastern Europe hosting 2012, they will skip 2016 and concentrate on 2020

2012 is in Poland/Ukraine, 2016 isn't decided yet, but the head of the Bulgarian Football Union said that because of Eastern Europe hosting 2012, they will skip 2016 and concentrate on 2020

Of course, you're right. My apologies!

Keeping all these years in my head can be confusing when there's so many bids and speculative bids for so many events in so many sports flying around this place at any one time!

France looks certain for 2016 with German support and could probably trade support with the Rou/Bul bid coming. If France gets the competition in 2016, than either Northern or Southern Europe will host in 2020, so Greece and Turkey are also possibilities.

I'd like to see a Scandinavian Euros again at some point; I was too young to remember 1992:

1992 Scandinavian

1996 Northern

2000 Northern

2004 Southern

2008 Central

2012 Eastern

2016 Northern?

2020 Scandinavian?

Another Southern nation or nations could also argue 2020 is ripe for them hosting.

I'd like to see a Scandinavian Euros again at some point; I was too young to remember 1992:

1992 Scandinavian

1996 Northern

2000 Northern

2004 Southern

2008 Central

2012 Eastern

2016 Northern?

2020 Scandinavian?

Another Southern nation or nations could also argue 2020 is ripe for them hosting.

I would describe it as

1992 - Northern

1996 - Western

2000 - Western

2004 - Southern

2008 - Central

2012 - Eastern

2016 - Western

2020 - Northern or Southern

Obviously my preference would be some combination of Norway/Denmark or Norway Sweden, since Denmark and Sweden will never agree to host together because both would want to host the final in Copenhagen or Stockholm respectively. I would like to see Norway/Denmark because Sweden has already hosted.

If Portugal is able to host a EURO alone, why do we have still so many co-hosts? I really dislike the idea of co-hosting!

With the probable expansion to 24 teams, it would be unlikely that countries other than Italy, Germany, France, Spain and England would be able to host by themselves.

Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland are too small, with not enough cities that would be able to host.

With the probable expansion to 24 teams, it would be unlikely that countries other than Italy, Germany, France, Spain and England would be able to host by themselves.

But until now, we only had EUROs with 16 teams (including the one in 2012). So I don't understand why a country of almost 40 million inhabitants like Poland couldn't host the EURO alone.

But until now, we only had EUROs with 16 teams (including the one in 2012). So I don't understand why a country of almost 40 million inhabitants like Poland couldn't host the EURO alone.

You also have to think about responsible infrastructure developement. It is a solution to build a 40,000 seat stadium to a 25,00 seat, it still costs all those millions to build the initial stadium and than reconfigure it to the lower capacity. So for a country that is not well off like Poland, its more feasible to just build 4 stadiums that will stand after the event and be used, than build 6 to 8 in cities that may not be able to hold the extra 10,000's of people during game day. Look at Kaiserslauten last year, it was hard for that city to taken in an extra 60,000 people on a match day.

ROMANIA AND BULGARIA TO DISCUSS JOINT BIDDING FOR EURO 2020- REUTERS

18:05 Mon 19 Nov 2007 - Elitsa Savova, SofiaEcho.com

Neighbours Bulgaria and Romania could apply together to host the 2020 European Championship, Reuters said.

Local newspaper 7 Dni Sport quoted Bulgarian Football Union President Borislav Mihailov as saying that “this is not a mirage, it's completely possible.”

“It's not about Olympic Games, it's only a one-sport competition,” Mihailov said as quoted by Reuters.

To meet the requirements as Euro 2020 host, Bulgaria would have to build four new stadiums.

“We can do it in the next 12 years,” Mihailov said.

Obviously my preference would be some combination of Norway/Denmark or Norway Sweden, since Denmark and Sweden will never agree to host together because both would want to host the final in Copenhagen or Stockholm respectively. I would like to see Norway/Denmark because Sweden has already hosted.

I agree that a Denmark/Sweden bid will never happen and I think Denmark and Norway are too far away from each other for it to be a god idea. I also dont believe in a S/D/N bid, though if the tournement gets more teams, that may be the onyly logical bid, but UEFA probably wont alow that. So that leaves a Norway and Sweden bid, and it also looks like that it what is happening. Sweden has made it clear that if anything will happen, it will be with norway...

Archived