The Short List Is In...

Like chill , it was not meant to be taken to the heart. It was just a joke. Btw, Pedra Branca is ours ! Lol, just another joke.

Yeah, man.. chill, commentator.. no wonder we always say Singaporeans are so uptight! lol! (That's another joke, Commentator)

Oh and it's Batu Putih.. not Pedra Branca :P

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be great ! My fear of Moscow dragging Putin to infuence voters first-hand is over.

Hmm, the only new part is that the IOC Evaluation Commission won't travel to the candidate cities.

It was a known fact from the beginning that a postal vote will be organised and that there would be no formal presentation to the IOC members...

Hmm, the only new part is that the IOC Evaluation Commission won't travel to the candidate cities.

It was a known fact from the beginning that a postal vote will be organised and that there would be no formal presentation to the IOC members...

Jeremie, do you know if this postal vote/rush campaign is a one-offf just to get the first YOGs going in time in 2010? Have you heard if they are going to adopt any more formal procedures for 2014, or stick with this formula?

Jeremie, do you know if this postal vote/rush campaign is a one-offf just to get the first YOGs going in time in 2010? Have you heard if they are going to adopt any more formal procedures for 2014, or stick with this formula?

Good question.

I don't know the answer.

I guess there are several possibilities:

1. the IOC can decide to select the YOG host cities 4 years before the YOG are to take place (since the cities are not supposed to build any infrastructure on purpose; it's safe to assume that theYOG host cities do not need to be elected 7 years ahead of the Games) in which case the YOG host cities could be elected during the IOC Session taking place during the Games (for example the YOG 2014 host city would be elected in Vancouver)
  2. the IOC can decide to elect the YOG host cities either 3 or 5 years ahead of time, in which case they would be elected during the same IOC Sessions as the Olympics host cities (for example the YOG Winter 2012 or YOG Summer 2014 could be elected in Copenhagen in 2009) but I am not sure taht would fit well with the IOC will to keep the YOG simple
  3. or the IOC can decide to stick to the postal vote in order to avoid expensive presentation during IOC Sessions and avoid having to electe during the same Session an Olympic Host City, a YOG host city and IOC President.

I just got off the phone with God - you are a waste of life james! It's official!

You are blaspheming the NAME OF GOD ALMIGHTY. Your telephone was having a connection with the death which you called your god. To be sincere, don't use the name of the Lord in vain.

Good question.

I don't know the answer.

I guess there are several possibilities:

1. the IOC can decide to select the YOG host cities 4 years before the YOG are to take place (since the cities are not supposed to build any infrastructure on purpose; it's safe to assume that theYOG host cities do not need to be elected 7 years ahead of the Games) in which case the YOG host cities could be elected during the IOC Session taking place during the Games (for example the YOG 2014 host city would be elected in Vancouver)
  2. the IOC can decide to elect the YOG host cities either 3 or 5 years ahead of time, in which case they would be elected during the same IOC Sessions as the Olympics host cities (for example the YOG Winter 2012 or YOG Summer 2014 could be elected in Copenhagen in 2009) but I am not sure taht would fit well with the IOC will to keep the YOG simple
  3. or the IOC can decide to stick to the postal vote in order to avoid expensive presentation during IOC Sessions and avoid having to electe during the same Session an Olympic Host City, a YOG host city and IOC President.

The established timeline is the constant for a lot of variables in the overall YOG bid process. One can justify the inclusion of five very well prepared cities on the shortlist, because they can easily organise the YOG in two years, not necessarily because they can throw the most money at it. But how long are the cities going to have to prepare, once we get the first rounds out of the way? Is there any possibility for a Debrecen (for example) in the future? Is the YOG Winter event going to include a full downhill event, which requires an 800-metre drop, or will countries that don't quite make the cut be able to host as well?