The Short List Is In...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes , I'm pleased that Singapore got in ! (: To be honest, the shortlist was no surprise with the expection of Bangkok. I expected Debrecen instead.

I must say Bangkok is a real surprise there ! After that little coup last year. Its like the sin city of Asia. Sex is everywhere there.

I stand corrected as I was certain that Debrecen would be short-listed. It seems that the large number of venues under contruction/renovation in Debrecen has been a major source of concern to the panel of experts.

Interesting to see that the Executive Board did not apply the same criteria to short-list the cities than they did for 2014 (otherwise Bangkok and Torino would be out).

Other interesting part is how low Athens scored in Culture and Education.

With Debrecen out, I feel that Singapore has a very powerful case: one of the top two technical bids and the only one that could not or hasn't hosted the "real" Games. Moscow will be difficult to defeat though.

Well the selection is a very rush-rush affair, the city will only be awarded two years in advance so the IOC probaly wants a city they know thus Moscow, Athens, S'pore & Turin being shortlisted.

Exactly.

I think Bangkok, both due to its poor rating and the lack of experience of the IOC with the city, stands little chance.

Torino rather poor marks will also make it challenging for them to win the Games.

So basically, the IOC will have a choice between:

- sentimental factor -> Athens might pull it out,

- going to some new horizons -> Singapore,

- playing it safe -> Moscow (which could probably host next year if they had to).

Exactly.

I think Bangkok, both due to its poor rating and the lack of experience of the IOC with the city, stands little chance.

Torino rather poor marks will also make it challenging for them to win the Games.

So basically, the IOC will have a choice between:

- sentimental factor -> Athens might pull it out,

- going to some new horizons -> Singapore,

- playing it safe -> Moscow (which could probably host next year if they had to).

mm but would the Olympic organizers want them to host the 12` summer youth games and `14 winter games in close succession? Or won`t that affect the decision?

^^

i'd prefer Singapore too. And I do agree with you, Rei.

Torino had its problems on Olympic Village and Finances. I think that expecially the first one can be improved very much in the final bidbook. I hope they'll work very hard and try this, although i'm not so confident on Torino winning.

I thought, the final two will be between Singapore vs Athens...

Agreed. I believe it will be between these two - with a little lean toward Athens. I actually hope its Singapore though.

I am curious why the U.S. didn't bid - oh wait, the U.S. wouldn't stand a chance on sentimentalism...

Oh well, I guess I'm strugglingg to generate some enthusiasm for these YOGs. Yeah, Bangkok was a surprise, but I figured Debrecen was a 50-50 bet. I see Moscow topped the scores, but I think Russia's already had it's IOC favours paid back for the moment. The traditional, emotional and sentimental pull of Athens is strong but it would be nice to see Singapore finally step up to the plate for something.

I am somewhat surprised that Kuala Lumpur keeps missing out - they have the venues, the money, an excellent urban transport infrastructure, great airport links... Hmm. Oh well. Who cares.

Are they the ones who said they were only bidding "reluctantly''? I'm sure that would have gone down a treat with the IOC _ "Uh, we don't really want to host these YOG things, but I guess if we must ..."

I must confess that my heart says it should go to Athens because of its place in the origins of the games.

It must also borne in mind that they do have the most up to date facilities (having been last used three years ago) so the infrastructure is there. That, after all, was one of the main aims for the YOG.

However, another aim was for smaller cities and towns to also have a chance to host an olympic games

Bangkok is known for its youth, but of course not in a good way. But disgusting American perverts are the ones who flock there...

I highly, highly doubt Bangkok would win, and am a bit surprised they made it as well. Debbbbrr what? That is one of the main reasons why they didn't make it.

I can't foresee Moscow hosting the first Games for some reason. I don't know, but anything could really happen, because there is no precedent for this sort of thing yet. I like the idea of YOG, but I am concerned about overkill. In 20 years will there be SROG - Senior Olympic Games????? :huh:

I wouldn't have a problem with Athens winning it, since they are the first, but I would like to see Singapore get a chance. that could be another strike against Tokyo 2016.

My picks:

1. Athens

2. Singapore

3. Moscow

4. Torino

5. Bangkok

^^

i'd prefer Singapore too. And I do agree with you, Rei.

Torino had its problems on Olympic Village and Finances. I think that expecially the first one can be improved very much in the final bidbook. I hope they'll work very hard and try this, although i'm not so confident on Torino winning.

There is no final bid book.

The short-listed cities must provide additionnal financial garantees and a more detailed budget but that's it.

Moscow is not overrated. At the moment, it is the city with almost everything ready and which has a lot and lot of experience in staging World Champs and multiple-sports events. It is the less risky choice therefore came on top of a technical evaluation.

This being said, Moscow is by no mean a shoe-in. Now that the cities have passed the technical threshold it all comes down to emotional, sentimental, political considerations.

I think KL's bid were done unprofessionally. Looking at the technical aspects, KL shoud have gone through.. I think the education & cultural aspects of the bid was not really thought of. I'm surprised since Malaysia has always been an advocate for education in whatever things we do. It's just that the person who compiled the bid were only filling in the forms.. instead of gathering inputs from all parties...

Not to sound like a sore loser (LOL) but shouldn't Singapore be disqualified for having a bid logo when it clearly states that no candidate city should create one? :lol:

I read the other day that Moscow holds youth games every year... Maybe IOC modeled the 2010YO after Moscow's youth games. Moscow should win it.

I am also surprised that Bangkok got shortlisted here, too. Even though it hosted the 2007 Summer Universiade, despite Thailand being under military rule, I would be hard-pressed to see it win against the likes of the others.

Here is the shortlisted cities score based on the scoring system. I not sure how it works.

Moscow (7.5 - 8.4)

Singapore (7.4 - 7.9)

Athens (6.1 - 7.2)

Turin (5.5 - 6.3)

Bangkok (5.4 - 5.7)

The news reached front page on the Singapore Straits Times today. According to it, Singapore's conpect was well recieved by thr IOC. Singapore scored highly in Transport, Stong Government and Accommodation.

It was Accommodation that caused Singapore to lack behind, Moscow is using an existing three-star hotel complex used in Moscow'80 & World Youth Games '98 while Singapore will be using a planned University Campus built for the National

University of Singapore.

In an event this campus will not be completed in time for the YOG, Singapore has a back up plan using existing hostels.