Olympic Trivia Quiz Part 2

Mainad

Just wondered how quickly you Olympic whizz-kids would be able to answer these 2 questions I encountered recently? ;)

Q 1.Only 3 countries have competed in every single Summer and Winter Olympic Games.Can you name them?

Q 2.Who is the only athlete in the history of the modern Olympic Games to have received a personal mention in the Closing Ceremony?

Just wondered how quickly you Olympic whizz-kids would be able to answer these 2 questions I encountered recently? ;)

Q 1.Only 3 countries have competed in every single Summer and Winter Olympic Games.Can you name them?

Q 2.Who is the only athlete in the history of the modern Olympic Games to have received a personal mention in the Closing Ceremony?

1. Competed or just shown up? Grease, Grate Britain, and Swiss Cheese.

2. Tonya Harding!! (just kidding.) Well, those Israeli athletes who died in Munich.

You will never find one single answer to that one as there is some confusion with respect to the earlier editions of the Games as some nations had representatives but not in an official way...

This being said, I would say Australia, France and Greece.

Hmm, I can think of several actually:

Waine Gretsky (sorry about the spelling) during SLC closing,

Vanderlei de Lima from Brazil during Athens Closing when he was awarded the Coubertin Medal for Fair Play after the marathon

(and I am not counting the various medal ceremonies which took place during Closing Ceremonies nor election to the IOC athletes commission)

You will never find one single answer to that one as there is some confusion with respect to the earlier editions of the Games as some nations had representatives but not in an official way...

We would have to go the Official way. France -- at the 3rd SOG in St. Louis, I don't see France as an Official entrant. Similarly, at the first WOGs in Chamonix, Australia did not participate. And Greece I think in the early WOGs, only showed up for the Ceremonies but did not actually compete in any of the events.

My caveat about Grate Britain's appearance in Moscow 1980 is that while its NOC did send a team, it did not use the Union Jack but the Olympic flag.

1. Competed or just shown up? Grease, Grate Britain, and Swiss Cheese.

Competed.You have 2 out of 3,GB and Switzerland are correct.

2. Tonya Harding!! (just kidding.) Well, those Israeli athletes who died in Munich.

Nope.Not according to my information anyway.

I watched QI. It's not really fair me giving the answer away.

Ha Ha,okay...how about Q1 then?

Well,I'm going by the lists of nations who actually competed officially (according to,say Wikipedia).

France is correct.

Hmm, I can think of several actually:

Waine Gretsky (sorry about the spelling) during SLC closing,

Vanderlei de Lima from Brazil during Athens Closing when he was awarded the Coubertin Medal for Fair Play after the marathon (and I am not counting the various medal ceremonies which took place during Closing Ceremonies nor election to the IOC athletes commission)

Were they mentioned in the IOC president's closing speech,as this athlete was?

I know I have all 3 correct.

OK, then, Biafra.

Now ur just being silly.U should be able to work out the third one,by now!

Wikepedia's wrong. France is not listed as a participant in the 1904 Games at St. Louis. Greece medalled in St. Louis.

Baron's wrong. Albert Coray, France, won the silver medal in the Marathon (mentioned in several IOC sanctionned books).

Albert Coray, France, won the silver medal in the Marathon (mentioned in several IOC sanctionned books).

That sent you quickly to the books, huh? :D But you're right. I stand corrected.

However, Coray/Corey (2 spellings) participated in the 4-mile team race (under the US flag); as a matter of fact, with the Chicago Amateur Athletic club -- and won 1/4th of a silver medal.

Now, jeremie, see if you can answer MY trivia quiz. B)

Well,as there are no further takers,the answers are:

Q.1. France,Great Britain and Switzerland.(Baron had 2 right,cfm Jeremie had 1)

Q.2. According to popular British TV quiz show QI (as mentioned by Rob),said athlete was none other than amateur British ski-jumper,Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards.At his closing speech at the Calgary Winter Games in 1988,then IOC president,Juan Antonio Samaranch said: "Some competitors have won gold,some have broken records,and one has flown like an eagle!"

Archived