Euro 2008 Qualifiers

Faster

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So which teams/countries have been qualified so far?

In alphabetical order:

Austria

Croatia

Czech Republic

France

Germany

Greece

Italy

Netherlands

Poland

Romania

Switzerland

And if Spain maintains its current lead against Sweden, it will qualify tonight, too.

Here's the list

Group A : Poland

Group B : Italy, France

Group C : Greece

Group D : Czech, Germany

Group E : Croatia

Group G : Romain, Netherlands

Here's the list which countries who have a big chance to qualify

Group A : Portugal

Group C : Turkey

Group E : England

Group F : Spain, Northern Ireland

Countries who still have a little chance to qualify

Group A : Finland, Serbia

Group C : Norway

Group E : Russia

Group F : Sweden

I think Sweden has bigger chances than Northern Ireland to qualify. Even if they lose against Spain, they just need to draw or beat Latvia at home, while NI needs to beat Spain at Canary Islands and that Sweden don't get any point in the next match.

Here's the list

Group A : Poland

Group B : Italy, France

Group C : Greece

Group D : Czech, Germany

Group E : Croatia

Group G : Romain, Netherlands

Sweden have a little chance to qualify????? Are you joking??? Sweden will have a BIGGER chance than NI to qualify! NI MUST win against SPAIN away and for Sweden it´s ENOUGH with DRAW against LATVIA home! And even if NI wins against Spain they will NOT qualify if Sweden wins or play draw against Latvia!

Probably we won't have no real surprise participant at the EURO this time.

Poland and Portugal were the favourites in group A -- now Poland is qualified and Portugal performs well enough to expect the same from them.

Italy and France were the favourites in group B -- now they're on their way to the EURO.

Maybe only in group C, it was a little uncertain whether Greece would qualify -- but the same applies to Turkey which could now win the ticket, leaving Norway out in the cold. Nevertheless, no major surprise here.

In group D, Germany and the Czech Republic were favoured -- and now they're easily qualified.

Group E had Croatia and England as favourites -- and now it seems as if they could travel to Austria and Switzerland indeed (at least it's certain for Croatia).

Group F's favourites were Spain and Sweden -- and here we are, with only a theoretical chance for Northern Ireland.

And also group G's favourites Romania and Netherlands are through.

So Austria will probably be the only real underdog next year. And I'm not sure whether that's so good for the quality of the game. I fear that with all those major teams, we'll see another rather tactical and thus boring tournament like last year's World Cup.

Sweden have a little chance to qualify????? Are you joking??? Sweden will have a BIGGER chance than NI to qualify! NI MUST win against SPAIN away and for Sweden it´s ENOUGH with DRAW against LATVIA home!

Ahh, I'm sorry I'm sorry, you are right, Sweden have bigger chance than Northern Ireland

@ Olympian2004,

wann werden eigentlich die Qualifikationsgruppen in Europa für Südafrika 2010 ausgelost?

Die Auslosung der Gruppen für die Qualifikation findet während des Preliminary draw am 25. November 2007 in Durban statt.

Die Auslosung der Gruppen für die Qualifikation findet während des Preliminary draw am 25. November 2007 in Durban statt.

Und sogar fehlerfrei! Hast du Deutsch auf der Schule gelernt oder sogar deutsche Wurzeln?

(Translation: I just commented on KRATK's German: "And it's even faultless! Have you learned German at school or do you even have German origins?")

By the way, CAF: Here are some further information about the preliminary draw next week in Durban: Preliminary Draw (in German) or Preliminary Draw (in English)

German scrabble must be great!

YEAH!!!! We have many such wonderful long compound nouns like: Donaudampfschifffahrtsgessellschaft, but these fact is often the reason of very very long discussions, if the player laid a really existing compound noun.

We even have a famous sketch about that: Schwanzhund - das sind 57 Punkte (Taildog - that are 57 points) (of course there is a noun "Schwanz" and a noun "Hund", but no "Schwanzhund")

Und sogar fehlerfrei! Hast du Deutsch auf der Schule gelernt oder sogar deutsche Wurzeln?

(Translation: I just commented on KRATK's German: "And it's even faultless! Have you learned German at school or do you even have German origins?")

Ha-ha... I'm not that good...

I was studying German at Goethe Institut this year... I couldn't continue the last month but I'm trying to resume them next year. I don't have German roots (in fact, I have Danish but I don't have any contact with them) but a lot of friends have and other have studied in the Deutsche Schule

Gutted for Scotland, who had enough chances to win the match and were on the wrong end of most of the bad decisions made by a set of officials who had a nightmare.

I can't agree with you there. Scotland may have been on the wrong end of many of the minor decisions but on the whole (apart from the last free kick, which was a joke) Italy were on the wrong end of many of the major, game changing decisions; they should have had a 2-0 lead as their goal was onside and Scotland's goal was offside (if only by a whisker).

That's not taking anything away from Scotland though. They put in a great performance and have done their country proud throughout the campaign.

By the way, CAF: Here are some further information about the preliminary draw next week in Durban: Preliminary Draw (in German) or Preliminary Draw (in English)

I just had to recognise that I won't be able to watch it at the 25th Nov - I am at the German Bodybuilding Championships on that date...

B):P:o

Scotland should have had a clear penalty at 0-1 when Zambrotta handled and to give a free kick to Italy when Alan Hutton was bodychecked by the Italian defender ranks among the most bizarre decisions I have ever seen. Offside goal or not, Scotland didn't have the rub of the green for the majority.

Gutted for Scotland, who had enough chances to win the match and were on the wrong end of most of the bad decisions made by a set of officials who had a nightmare.

But on the other hand, one must admit that also the referee's decision to not allow the Italian 2-0 (which he called an offside goal) was wrong. And if the referee had allowed the goal, the match would possibly have taken a completely different direction anyway. Maybe Scotland wouldn't have got back into the match at all then. But all that is hypothetical.

Regarding that all those flawed referee decisions still continue, I think that FIFA must adopt the instant replay. It can't be that even with four referees on or beside the pitch, such incredible mistakes happen. What is really ironic about those incidents is that former Swiss FIFA referee Urs Meier (who now works as commentator for football broadcasts on German network ZDF) praised Mr. Mejuto González just before the match as one of the best referees in the world. He also bemoaned that Mejuto González couldn't take part in the 2006 World Cup because two of his assistants hadn't passed the fitness test. I think that with tonight's abysmal performance, Mejuto González shouldn't take part in the EURO or any other future tournament either.

I agree with goal-line technology but I think instant replays may be a step too far for this reason:

Even with the benifit of slow motion replays, football pundits and fans rarely agree on whether a decision was correct or not. Every week on Match Of The Day the pundits watch a slow motion replay of a particular incident many times over and still don't agree with each other.

It wouldn't be as benificial as some people hope. It would slow the game down dramatically, and it would actually make the referees job harder, not easier in some circumstance as some people may say "he got that wrong, even after seeing the replay".

For ruling out offside goals (and ruling in onside ones) AFTER the ball has hit the back of the net it may be a goer, but only after extensive testing to make sure it doesn't disrupt the flow of the game.

All other decisions should be left to the ref and his assistants, though as I've said goaline technology to make sure the ball has passed over the line would be a good idea.

I'm not disagreeing with the point about that offside decision being wrong. But what I am saying is that most of the key decisions in that game went against the Scots. And, given that it happened before the offside goal, I'm sure many Scots will argue the non-penalty was the biggest call of all of them.

I think the officials had a stinker all round and both teams can claim to have been hard done by though of course the winning side will complain less.

It's a shame for the Scots, but neither team got decisions they should have. You can blame the ref for ruining the match, but I think it's much harder to blame him for Scotland's loss.

BTW, is this the reason you're "sick of football" or is it something else?

Archived