Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Faster

Euro 2008 Qualifiers

Neither will want the job, and at this point, can you blame them? Managing a team that will never win anything isn't exactly a smart move. Same thing goes with coaching a team at KU, we never win anything either. And need I say anything about dealing with the English media? I know I wouldn't want that job, knowing I would never come close to winning anything.

We Germans had the same problem after our disgraceful performance at EURO 2004 and Rudi Völler's resignation -- neither Otto Rehhagel nor Ottmar Hitzfeld nor Morten Olsen nor anyone else wanted to coach the team; and then we got Jürgen Klinsmann. Maybe he's the right man to lead England out of the crisis, too.

We Germans had the same problem after our disgraceful performance at EURO 2004 and Rudi Völler's resignation -- neither Otto Rehhagel nor Ottmar Hitzfeld nor Morten Olsen nor anyone else wanted to coach the team; and then we got Jürgen Klinsmann. Maybe he's the right man to lead England out of the crisis, too.

The difference is that 2004 was a mere blip in Germany's otherwise consistently high performance at international football tournaments and one from which they soon recovered and they didn't have to resort to importing foreign coaches to do it either! England have been in a mediocre state more or less ever since the 1966 World Cup victory against...you know who,41 years ago!!! Germany,the team we beat to the Cup back then, have gone on to win it twice since!! England have never even reached the semi-finals since (I don't think).

It is going to be a much longer task to turn England's fortunes around.So much has to be reformed at player level,coach level and at administration level. The malaise of 41 years is not going to be rectified soon or easily and it is going to take more than the talented services even of a Klinsmann to get England back to performing at the same level as Germany and most of the other top European and World footballing nations!

The difference is that 2004 was a mere blip in Germany's otherwise consistently high performance at international football tournaments and one from which they soon recovered and they didn't have to resort to importing foreign coaches to do it either! England have been in a mediocre state more or less ever since the 1966 World Cup victory against...you know who,41 years ago!!! Germany,the team we beat to the Cup back then, have gone on to win it twice since!! England have never even reached the semi-finals since (I don't think).

Well, they have. 1990 in Italy. And also at the home EURO in 1996. And you shouldn't always measure England's strength in the number of titles. Since its World Cup win, England has never ceased being a respected top team in international football. Yes, they had bad tournaments in the past and sometimes they were simply unlucky (especially in terms of penalty shoot-outs). But I don't see a permanent, decade-long crisis. They were too many ups (especially the strong performances in 1990 and 1996) to call it that way.

It is going to be a much longer task to turn England's fortunes around.So much has to be reformed at player level,coach level and at administration level. The malaise of 41 years is not going to be rectified soon or easily and it is going to take more than the talented services even of a Klinsmann to get England back to performing at the same level as Germany and most of the other top European and World footballing nations!

With Klinsmann, all those reforms at player, coach and administration level would happen. The same was the case in Germany: The DFB is not the same organisation it was three years ago (today it's far more open-minded about innovative and even expensive coaching methods), Klinsmann and Löw were very diligent in finding new talents for the team and the players themselves are in a far better physical and psychological shape than three years ago. I mean, you don't have to take Klinsmann of course. I'd be glad if he came back to Germany some day. But that doesn't change the fact that there are few managers out there who are as ambitious, innovative and courageous as Klinsmann.

Well, they have. 1990 in Italy. And also at the home EURO in 1996. And you shouldn't always measure England's strength in the number of titles. Since its World Cup win, England has never ceased being a respected top team in international football. Yes, they had bad tournaments in the past and sometimes they were simply unlucky (especially in terms of penalty shoot-outs). But I don't see a permanent, decade-long crisis. They were too many ups (especially the strong performances in 1990 and 1996) to call it that way.

Okay,forgot about 1990 but that's still a paltry record compared to Germany,Italy and even France.The 'ups' seem to me the exception to the consistent record of underachievement!

With Klinsmann, all those reforms at player, coach and administration level would happen. The same was the case in Germany: The DFB is not the same organisation it was three years ago (today it's far more open-minded about innovative and even expensive coaching methods), Klinsmann and Löw were very diligent in finding new talents for the team and the players themselves are in a far better physical and psychological shape than three years ago. I mean, you don't have to take Klinsmann of course. I'd be glad if he came back to Germany some day. But that doesn't change the fact that there are few managers out there who are as ambitious, innovative and courageous as Klinsmann.

I was not in any way doubting Klinsmann's abilities.I have no doubt he would be a tremendous asset to any football team.I just think that England is bedevilled by so many long-term problems,so many internal weaknesses peculiar to the English football scene,that it would be beyond even Klinsmann's (or anyone else's) ability to effect any short-term turnaround!

Since '66, we've only made two semi-finals. That's just not good enough.

Do you think maybe England has never been as good as you think it has, that over the last 40 years its been more hype than substance? You look at the last 40 years and the players that are the best throughout the decade, there are Brazilians, Germans, Italians, Frenchmen, Dutchmen, Argentines but how many Englishmen? Not a whole lot. England just hasn't produced the players to be a great team.

It's certainly more hype than substance now and has been probably since Euro '96, but I'm not convinced it was before that. I think to argue about best players of an era, in this context, is something of a red herring.

You look back since 1966 and there are so many outstanding players who only won a handful of caps, far fewer than their talents merited. We do not have the strength in depth now that we once did and that is our biggest problem.

Also, we have to consider the management. One of the primary reasons we won the World Cup in 1966 was because, in Sir Alf Ramsey, we had a manager who left out the best player in his position, Jimmy Greaves, in the interests of the team. I don't think many other managers would have done that. Too often, we have been guilty of picking the star name, irrespective of what is best for the team. The Gerrard and Lampard rubbish lately proves my point. We have to pick the best TEAM, not the best 11 individuals.

Uefa looks at match-fixing claims

Uefa has given a 96-page report to Interpol alleging that 15 games in a variety of competitions were fixed.

The matches are thought to have been qualifiers for Euro 2008, the Champions League, and Intertoto Cup.

BBC Sport's Nigel Adderley reports that Uefa has confirmed an investigation is taking place into the matches, which do not go further back than July 2005.

The news comes as Uefa officials are gathering in Lucerne for Sunday's Euro 2008 finals draw.

The story was reported in German magazine Der Speigel.

The magazine alleges that the vast majority of clubs involved come from countries in eastern and south-eastern Europe with Bulgaria, Georgia, Serbia, Croatia and the Baltics among those named.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7122881.stm

England is more a premier league prolific than international winner. So, it needs to put in more international players with good skill and reputation into the teams and learns from there.

I really cheerished the English team not untill now.