The Games Tv Trivia Quiz

Sir Rols

To lighten the mood a little after the bitter 2014 CWGs brawls, I thought I'd start a thread on how the Olympics has been used and apeeared in popular TV shows (not sports coverage) over the years, similar to one we did once for Hollywood movies.

But then I thought we could have some fun with it.

Okay guys, how's your TV and Olympics trivia knowledge. Who's the first person who can correctly answer all the following questions (or as many as possible). Edited replies not accepted:

1: The staff of the 4077 were inspired by which games to hold their own "M*A*S*H Olympics?

mash.jpg

2: Krusty Burger lost a bundle on their free burgers promotion during which Olympics? And Why?

Krusty-Burger-Magnet-I11755003.jpeg

3: Which Olympic mascots were the butt of a continuing gag line when the FYI team were sent to cover the Olympics on "Murphy Brown"?

240px-Murphybrown_1.jpg

4: What form of transport did Beverly Hills 90210's Brandon and Steve use on their return from the 1996 Atlanta Olympics?

151419__90210_l.jpg

5: In what event did Bender Gold Medal at the Year 3004 New New York Olympics?

300px-Futurama_characters.jpg

6: Who lights the 2012 Olympic cauldron in a popular British Sci-Fi series?

doctor_who_dalek_gold.jpg

7: What song and band were chosen to play at the Closing Ceremony of Sydney 2000 in the Australian satirical series "The Games"?

the_games_d.jpg

8: Jaime Sommers' rival Corvus in The Bionic Woman injured herself trying to qualify for the Olympics in which sport?

katee.jpg\

9: Bette Midler guest starred inn an episode of Seinfeld satirising which famous Olympic feud?

seinfeld.jpg

10: Which multiple gold medallist starred as paramedic Pete Barlow on the 70s TV show Emergency!?

castf.jpg

Wow. A lot of really obscure stuff.

1: The staff of the 4077 were inspired by which games to hold their own "M*A*S*H Olympics? - Mexico 1968?

2: Krusty Burger lost a bundle on their free burgers promotion during which Olympics? Montreal 1976?

And Why? Dunno.

3: Which Olympic mascots were the butt of a continuing gag line when the FYI team were sent to cover the Olympics on "Murphy Brown"? The double pairings of 1988 -- Hiddy and Howdy, Hodori and Hattori (I think that was the female tiger)?

4: What form of transport did Beverly Hills 90210's Brandon and Steve use on their return from the 1996 Atlanta Olympics? Hot air balloon?

5: In what event did Bender Gold Medal at the Year 3004 New New York Olympics? Tiddlywinks.

6: Who lights the 2012 Olympic cauldron in a popular British Sci-Fi series? That Dalek?

7: What song and band were chosen to play at the Closing Ceremony of Sydney 2000 in the Australian satirical series "The Games"? Waltzin' Matilda - the Hobart Ho's.

8: Jaime Sommers' rival Corvus in The Bionic Woman injured herself trying to qualify for the Olympics in which sport? Boxing

9: Bette Midler guest starred inn an episode of Seinfeld satirising which famous Olympic feud? Tonya & Nancy

10: Which multiple gold medallist starred as paramedic Pete Barlow on the 70s TV show Emergency!? This one I know - MARK SPITZ!!

Wow. A lot of really obscure stuff.

9: Bette Midler guest starred inn an episode of Seinfeld satirising which famous Olympic feud? Tonya & Nancy

10: Which multiple gold medallist starred as paramedic Pete Barlow on the 70s TV show Emergency!? This one I know - MARK SPITZ!!

Yeah, some are obscure. But that's the challenge and fun of it. One can always google.

Anyway, 2 out of 10.

1. the story of MASH is playing in Korea - therefore they are just two Olympics possible: HELSINKI 1952 and MELBOURNE 1956

I would say MELBOURNE 1956

The Korean war was already over in 1953. So it must have been Helsinki 1952.

But I have to pass on all the other questions. And I don't want to google, that makes the quiz senseless.

But I have to pass on all the other questions. And I don't want to google, that makes the quiz senseless.

Technically the Korean War is still going on, the Korean Police Action ended in 1953.

1.Has to be the 1952 Helsinki Olympics as M.A.S.H was set during the years of the Korean War 1950-1953.

6.It was Doctor Who,no less,who lit the flame of the 2012 Olympic cauldron!

That Krusty Burger parody of the 1984 "If the US Wins , You Win" McDoanld's sweepstakes episode is one of my faves on the Simpsons. I laugh every time the South Korean gymnast sticks his landing and screams because it was a broken leg, of which it was a reference to the Japanese gymnast in Montreal 1976.

8. Sarah Corvus--mind you I have yet to see the show but want to so much (I'm have a crush on Michelle Ryan), will wait for DVD--I'll say Sarah was injured in swimming because that's what Katee Sackhoff was involved with before going into acting. I presume it was to incorporated at her suggestion.

5.Which events Bender won the 3004 gold in Futurerama? The limbo

3. The mascots that were poked fun at on Murphy Brown--You would think Izzy but maybe the two human kids from Lillehammer. Forgot their names

Correct. I thought that was one of the easiest ones (there are a few that really should be rather obvious)

Mainad Posted Today, 03:37 AM

6.It was Doctor Who,no less,who lit the flame of the 2012 Olympic cauldron!

Correct.

Durban Sandshark Posted Today, 05:14 AM

3. The mascots that were poked fun at on Murphy Brown--You would think Izzy but maybe the two human kids from Lillehammer. Forgot their names

Correct. (They were Haakon and Kristen)

Okay, six down and four to go. Any other takers?

I'll post any remaining answers on Monday.

1: What form of transport did Beverly Hills 90210's Brandon and Steve use on their return from the 1996 Atlanta Olympics?

151419__90210_l.jpg

2: In what event did Bender Gold Medal at the Year 3004 New New York Olympics?

300px-Futurama_characters.jpg

3: What song and band were chosen to play at the Closing Ceremony of Sydney 2000 in the Australian satirical series "The Games"?

the_games_d.jpg

4: Jaime Sommers' rival Corvus in The Bionic Woman injured herself trying to qualify for the Olympics in which sport?

katee.jpg\

Here is my answer for question 2: Bender is surgically rebuilt to look like a fembot in order to compete on the New New York Olympics (changing his name to ''Coilete''), on the bending robots event, as i can remember (later he had to change his sex because of a gender test, a somewhat reference to doping test xD)

Here is my answer for question 2: Bender is surgically rebuilt to look like a fembot in order to compete on the New New York Olympics (changing his name to ''Coilete''), on the bending robots event, as i can remember (later he had to change his sex because of a gender test, a somewhat reference to doping test xD)

Correct. I'm surprised that one took so long _ I thought there were more than a few Futurama fans here.

#1 - a pick-up truck.

No. It was a car. And it broke down in some racist town.

http://www.tv.com/beverly-hills-90210/reme...10/summary.html

Sorry, actually I didn't want to google -- but that one made me curious. It was quite hard to find, though. I thought that it must have been the first Beverly Hills 90210 episode after the Olympics (which it was) but I found no episode guide confirming that the car broke down on their return from Atlanta. Until I found this Brazilian page:

http://www.sonypictures.com.br/canalsony/S...;showHotsite=no

Actually, I had thought that it would be a more spectacular vehicle.

Oh well, I always figured it would take an Aussie to know that final question _ and it doesn't look like the likes of Puppy, Vol, NOC etc called in.

Anyway, the answer is "The Carnival is Over" by The Seekers, as kitsch a piece of 60s Australiana as you could get.

Archived