• England
    • Benelux
    • Russia
    • China
    • Australia
    • United States of America
    • United States of Mexico

Guest Jensen1981

I don't want to be rude, but were the KNVB (Dutch Football Association) and the KBVB (Belgian Football Association) the first football associations to personally inform Sepp Blatter at the FIFA Headquarters in Geneva that they were very keen on organizing the World Cup 2018?

Here are some very credible and important reasons why I think Benelux will have a good chance of organizing the World Cup 2018:

1) FIFA director Sepp Blatter was pleasantly surprised by the combined Dutch/Belgian delegation visiting Geneva: "If I listen to this bid, then a combined organization could very well work. From all countries who are interested in organizing the WC, perhaps Belgium and Netherlands have got very much in favour their geopolitical situation. The distances between stadiums are quite small and the athletes could profit from that."727-ned_bel_8.jpg

Above you see Sepp Blatter with KNVB chairman Jeu Sprengers and KBVB chairman Francois de Keersmaecker.

2) Sepp Blatter at first was quite sceptical about a combined organization of the World Cup Soccer. He wasn't very pleased with the situation in South-Korea and Japan. But both the KNVB and the KBVB specifically said that the situation of 2002 cannot be compared with a combined organization of Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. And Sepp Blatter is very glad that there will be ONE organizing committee if it conserns a Benelux-bid, compared to the crappy, TWO organizing committees in South-Korea and Japan.

3) Sepp Blatter specifically said that the Dutch-Belgian construction could very well be a future example for many other smaller nations who are interested in organizing a World Cup. "It can't be the case that only large countries can organize World Championships".

4) The organizing committee -don't worry, there will be one- of the Benelux World Cup specifically WANT to be in an underdog position. Especially while you take in mind complicated bid processes of for instance Olympic Games and World Cups, people who eventually need to vote for one -or two countries- country are very sensible for the underdog-factor.

5) So far the KNVB and the KBVB were the first ones to visit the FIFA Headquarters in Geneva to show Sepp Blatter their interest in bidding for the 2018 World Cup. The English Football Association still hasn't visited FIFA headquarters. While they must know that networking is so important.

6) One last thing about all the people who are a bit fuzzy about Luxembourg's role in this. Benelux still IS a mini-European Union within the European Union. The Benelux still exists as an entity in which socio-cultural factors between Luxembourg, Netherlands and Belgium are still charished a lot. For instance: each year a congress will be held in one of the Benelux countries, chaired by either King Albert, Queen Beatrix or the Grand-Duke of Luxembourg.

7) Both the KNVB and the KBVB want to create a long-lasting legacy. It's not about getting the World Cup.......it's about creating the ultimate short-distance sports event ever.........Rotterdam and the province of Limburg are already planning to build stadiums with capacities of 70,000 seats or more. In the end 5 big stadiums should be used in Belgium and 5 big ones in The Netherlands.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7) Both the KNVB and the KBVB want to create a long-lasting legacy. It's not about getting the World Cup.......it's about creating the ultimate short-distance sports event ever.........Rotterdam and the province of Limburg are already planning to build stadiums with capacities of 70,000 seats or more. In the end 5 big stadiums should be used in Belgium and 5 big ones in The Netherlands.

And what about legacy afterwards? There's no point in building these grounds if there isn't going to be a use for them afterwards. For instance, wasn't temporary seating used to bring Charleroi's stadium up to the required capacity for Euro 2000?

Guest Jensen1981
And what about legacy afterwards? There's no point in building these grounds if there isn't going to be a use for them afterwards. For instance, wasn't temporary seating used to bring Charleroi's stadium up to the required capacity for Euro 2000?

I think it's only fair to compare certain positive elements of Euro 2000 with a future bid for the FIFA World Cup 2018. Off course I agree that there needs to be a legacy afterwards, but that's what the two countries want to achieve. Both the KNVB and the KBVB realize that Eastern-European countries are becoming more important football nations. In two years time, there is a good chance we see only 4 Dutch clubs in the UEFA Cup and Champions League. Furthermore, the Dutch KNVB is already planning to shrink the Dutch Eredivisie from 18 clubs to 16 clubs. All in one: Not very positive developments........And this specifically counts for smaller football nations in Western Europe, like Holland.

So you could very well say The Netherlands and Belgium need this World Cup. Not only to realize a damn good World Cup, but also to bring football in the Low Countries on a higher plan; to bring it back on track again. You know, Holland isn't what it used to be in the seventies and eighties. A World Cup in Holland and Belgium could inspire a whole new generation of football players.

So you could very well say The Netherlands and Belgium need this World Cup. Not only to realize a damn good World Cup, but also to bring football in the Low Countries on a higher plan; to bring it back on track again. You know, Holland isn't what it used to be in the seventies and eighties. A World Cup in Holland and Belgium could inspire a whole new generation of football players.

well, the same thing could be said about a US hosting: "So you could very well say the USA need this World Cup. Not only to realize a damn good World Cup, but also to bring football in the US on a higher plan; to bring it back on track again. You know, the US isn't what it used to be in 1994. A World Cup in the US could inspire a whole new generation of football players." ;)

Hmmm... After England failed to go to EURO 2008, I think 2018 better go to England as host, so England can qualify to WC 2018, :P , C'mon Baron , USA doesn't need to be the host coz I'm sure with the level of North America, I'm sure USA will qualify to the WC finals, :P

Guest Jensen1981
But, with respect, you haven't answered my specific point. You have talked about building new and bigger stadia. But is the need for such arenas there?

And you haven't reacted on all other points I previously made. You only reacted on points on which you think Holland and Belgium will face difficulties. But yes........off course!! We need more stadia. That's why I said that they start building new stadia as of 2008. They are already expanding stadia in Heerenveen. Furthermore, both Rotterdam and Amsterdam are opting for new club stadia for their rspective clubs Feyenoord and Ajax. I shall look into some detailed plans, because I know development is already in progress. And both stadia will get 70,000+ seats.

well, the same thing could be said about a US hosting: "So you could very well say the USA need this World Cup. Not only to realize a damn good World Cup, but also to bring football in the US on a higher plan; to bring it back on track again. You know, the US isn't what it used to be in 1994. A World Cup in the US could inspire a whole new generation of football players." ;)

Thanks God US isn't what it used to be in 1994... for the good of football. Each year you are better ;) but you still don't deserve the WC again :lol:

Archived