Congratulaions Glasgow!

You bloody beauty! Congratulations Glasgow!

The great thing about Scotland's victory was that it was one that rewarded sticking to your game plan and presenting a bid that strove for excellence rather than relying on sentiment. Good work!

And commiserations to Abuja. I really mean that. The games WILL go to Africa one day, and probably not too long to wait. What can I say _ I know it's disappointing, but that's bidding for you. Any bid relies on generating genuine passion and truly believing you can win. Unfortunately, there is always a loser _ It's the downside of sports bidding. What you need to do now is take the lessons of this campaign to heart and come back again with a plan that addresses where you fell short. And from the posts from Nigerians who have contributed here over the campaign _ the likes of james, Aruako, TBite and co _ there is sure passion in your country to host such events. Don't give up.

I will, however, indulge in one piece of crowing. To Jim Jones ...

LOL ROTFLMAO

Jim Jones Loses!

ROTFLMAO

I suppose that spoils your CV for Rio now!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, where to from now?

Well, the first obvious thing is that Africa's got to be in the box seat for 2018. It may not have been their time for 2014, but it will be hard to deny them for 2018. But will it be Abuja, or South Africa? And if South Africa do bid, do they go with Durban, which has expressed interest, or Capetown, which has Olympic ambitions and could use the CWGs as a stepping stone for the 2020 Olympics. It's a hard call, I don't know which one would be the best course. I do think they'd be favourites over Abuja again, though (sorry Abuja). South Africa would also have a lot of the old dominion votes behind them this time. The fight in Africa will be intersting to watch.

Apparently Trinidad and Tobago are interested in 2018, but while we may have thought the same about Abuja this time, quite frankly the CWGs are definitely out of their league at the moment, developing world voting blocs or not. The Caribbean showed in the Cricket World Cup they have a way to go before they could aim as high as the CWGs again.

Asia? Well, Pakistan is hardly going to be a contender the way it is politically at the moment. Malaysia's had their go. I really only see two options _ Brunei cashing in on its wealth (highly unlikely) or Singapore. Singapore is a chance _ though I don't know if its bid for the Youth Olympic games will be a help or a hindrance to any Commonwealth hopes. We'll just have to wait and see what they say.

Which leaves the traditional Commonwealth giants. Actually, I don't like their chances. The UK is out. Ditto Oz. Canada can never be ruled out and Hamilton, I'm sure, is itching for a go, and it could be their best chance. Halifax, of course, have soured their chances of ever trying again. Are there any other likely contenders there? I'd like to see Canada host again _ I think it's important for the future of the CWGs that they do.

NZ is interested. I just wonder if they believe in themselves. I hope they do try _ and win. NZ needs to get such an event to show they really are able to aim for such events.

Anyway, I suppose my tip is to say that at this stage, I think Durban's the early favourite for 2018. But time will tell.

Congratulations Glasgow!!!!

I'll be skint in the next decade buying tickets... London 2012, Glasgow 2014 and now we're going for the 2015 Rugby World Cup and England going for the 2018 Football World Cup.

Bring em on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Asia? Well, Pakistan is hardly going to be a contender the way it is politically at the moment. Malaysia's had their go. I really only see two options _ Brunei cashing in on its wealth (highly unlikely) or Singapore. Singapore is a chance _ though I don't know if its bid for the Youth Olympic games will be a help or a hindrance to any Commonwealth hopes. We'll just have to wait and see what they say.

I think I can answer that for you !

scan0001.jpg

These are 3 proposed designs for the New Singapore National Stadium . It will be completed in 2011. Although, you can be certain, Africa will go all out to get 2018.

Congratulations to Glasgow, they really deserved to win this one...altought, let's be honest. EVERYONE here knew from the beggining who would win. It doesn't matter if your continent never hosted the games, if you don't put a serious bid, then you're doomed.

But anyway, good luck to all the scotties in 2014.

I don't think anyone who backed Glasgow could ever have dared to dream that the margin of victory would be so emphatic as 47-24, almost two to one.

I offer my comiserations to the Abuja team and my hopes that they will come back again in the future. The basis is there, but, as has been shown, more is needed. Be in no doubt - this was a victory for substance over sympathy. See you in London and in Glasgow.

Congratulations, Glasgow. Congrats. SpecialOne. Well done.

A few thoughts:

1. So that means Durban will be in there w/ Abuja for 2018?

2. So those upper-tier seats to be discarded from the London Olympic drum, will now be shipped to Glasgow as originally planned?

3. The 2nd to the last remaining survivor of the actual Titanic died the other day. The better Titanic film, A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, or some parts of it, were shot on the river Clyde. (The last remaining survivor is Elizabeth ---- Dean.)

4. Funny. That ends one of the most bitter GB feuds: the Ngananis v. the McCoys!! :lol::lol: Now it's on to Chicago v. Tokyo!

Archived