Baku 2016

Galandar

BSEC (Organization on the Balck Sea Economic Cooperation) Supports Azerbaijan’s Application for Holding 2016 Olympic Games in Baku

During the 30th session of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Black Sea Economic Co-operation (BSEC) in Tbilisi, the participating countries supported Azerbaijan’s application for conducting 2016 summer Olympic Games in Baku, Novosti-Georgia reported.

During press-conference on 12 December, the Chairman of the Georgian Parliament, Mikhail Machavarani, highlighted the importance of making a decision, saying that six months ago in Bulgaria, the BSEC Parliamentary Assembly confirmed the Olympic application of Russia.

Armenian delegation voted against Azerbaijan’s application. The Armenian side explained it through the issue that it is unacceptable to hold Olympic Games having conflicts.

Source: http://www.newsgeorgia.ru

For those who are interested in BSEC

On 25 June 1992,the Heads of State and Government of eleven countries: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Georgia, Greece, Moldova, Romania, Russia, Turkey and Ukraine signed in Istanbul the Summit Declaration and the Bosphorus Statement giving birth to the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC).

It came into existence as a unique and promising model of multilateral political and economic initiative aimed at fostering interaction and harmony among the Member States, as well as to ensure peace, stability and prosperity encouraging friendly and good-neighbourly relations in the Black Sea region.

The BSEC Headquarters - the Permanent International Secretariat of the Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC PERMIS) - was established in March 1994 in Istanbul.

With the entry into force of its Charter on 1 May 1999, BSEC acquired international legal identity and was transformed into a full-fledged regional economic organization : ORGANIZATION OF THE BLACK SEA ECONOMIC COOPERATION. With the accession of Serbia and Montenegro in April 2004, the Organization’s Member States increased to twelve.

For information, Baku is the only city among the candidates had 1 international and 2 european tournaments in different kinds of sport in 2007.

You can see promotion clip of 23-rd Rhythmic Gymnastics European Championship in 2007 in Baku:

Right now Baku is a big unknown, but in a few days (hopefully) the mini bid book will be published so we will know more. Somehow though I feel this bid could upset the predictions and get better evaluation than expected... I'm not talking of being shortlisted, but it may just beat Prague for the last spot. And that would be a great surprize...

Right now Baku is a big unknown, but in a few days (hopefully) the mini bid book will be published so we will know more. Somehow though I feel this bid could upset the predictions and get better evaluation than expected... I'm not talking of being shortlisted, but it may just beat Prague for the last spot. And that would be a great surprize...

I wonder where their proposed 70,000 seater stadium would be? If I were organizing Baku, I'd probably demolish their current national stadium (minus perhaps, the main entrance or maybe even on raised land), and build the new stadium on top of it. I'd also probably would get rid of as much of the buildings (provided they have no real function that warrants their stay and legal reasons and so forth) in the vicinity of the Stadium.

This would be the main Olympic Site, with new venues being built here.

Well, I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Olympics in Baku is unreal – Azerbaijani sports official

IA Regnum (russian agency)

It is unreal that the 2016 Olympic Games can be held in Baku and the Azerbaijani capital will lose its bid to other cities, a competent source at the Azerbaijani Ministry for Youth and Sports told a REGNUM correspondent.

The source stressed that although it could have brought many dividends to the country, he does not recall any cases when a bid of a city for such large-scale games won from the first attempt. Besides, according the source, the International Olympic Committee is aware that South Caucasus today is a region with three frozen conflicts and that practically has no sports facilities meeting global standards. The IOC also knows that the tourist sector is underdeveloped in the country.

Answering a question whether experts of the ministry examine experience of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow and preparation for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, the source noted that he had no such information. He concluded that Olympics are possible to be held in Baku as early as in 2020 or in 2024. By that time, Azerbaijan will have more serious arguments to win the right to host Olympic Games, it will have several sports complexes meeting global standards, tourism will be developed and, “hopefully, all political complications will become the past.”

Well, there were such comments from Bakurani for 2014, but if I remember correctly they were official, I think the secretary general of their NOC said that Bakurani and Georgia have no chances of getting 2014, but this is a step for a future bid

Well, if they don't want to publish their application file, we have to find the information ourselves.

Here's my research about one of the most important categories of the IOC's evaluation report: accomodation.

According to this site, which I then checked with the links from the official tourism authority of Azerbaijan, Baku currently has:

5 star hotels - 8 - 546 rooms

4 star hotels - 11 - 820 rooms

Total - 19 - 1366 rooms

Looks like Baku will score the lowest among the 2016 bids, if these numbers are rignt. Even if they have 10 000 3 star rooms (!) and even if they are planning to build 10 000 4 and 5 star rooms till 2016, the plan will not sound feasible to the evaluation commission

Next category: experience

Here's what sport events they hosted according to the GAISF:

2005 - Gymnastics - 27th Rhythmic Gymnastics World Championships

2007 - Hockey - ATA Holding Hockey Champions Challenge Women

2007 - Boxing - World Championships (Cadet)

2007 - Wrestling - Senior World Championship Freestyle, Greco Roman & Women's Wrestling

Archived