Mascot(s) Coming Nov 27, 2007

Kenadian

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! What about Quatchi? It looks like Eduardo (more or less, but my first impression was him) from Cartoon Network series "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends":

300px-Eduardo.png

I still don't know if Quatchi is the Olympic or Paralympic mascot...

Does Miga look like any other famous character too? :huh:

I think the trio is for both Olympic and Paralympic Games because the current trend is to market them together, but if you read their bios, Quatchi and Miga are more for the Olympics and Sumi is more for the Paralympics. According to their bios, Quatchi likes hockey, Miga likes snowboarding, and Sumi likes the Paralympic sports.

As I can read for the news, a great number of kids loves the mascots, and most of the critics are qualifying them as ''cute'', but they need more explanation (since using mythological creators could have been a bad idea for the merchadising). About the names, VANOC says that they choosed the names in order to be easily understood by the rest of the world (i already memorized their names, but i thing Quatchi it's the most dificult to me to remember).

For the moment i conclude that the negativity storm is not as bad as the one with the logo (Inukshuk), they don't need big time to grow up on the people. Speaking about the ''asian'' style, perhaps most of you must know already that the japanese have made a lot of influence to the actual animation styles. Like a lot of cartoons you see now on TV (for example, this ''Avatar - The Last Airbender'' series on Nickelodeon have a strong japanese style, and i don't see any boys or kids complaining about it).

As I can read for the news, a great number of kids loves the mascots, and most of the critics are qualifying them as ''cute'', but they need more explanation (since using mythological creators could have been a bad idea for the merchadising). About the names, VANOC says that they choosed the names in order to be easily understood by the rest of the world (i already memorized their names, but i thing Quatchi it's the most dificult to me to remember).

For the moment i conclude that the negativity storm is not as bad as the one with the logo (Inukshuk), they don't need big time to grow up on the people. Speaking about the ''asian'' style, perhaps most of you must know already that the japanese have made a lot of influence to the actual animation styles. Like a lot of cartoons you see now on TV (for example, this ''Avatar - The Last Airbender'' series on Nickelodeon have a strong japanese style, and i don't see any boys or kids complaining about it).

On person called them pokemon sheek.

Global??? i try not to watch their news regularly....people who have worked but left there since the Asper family bought the station and amalgamated it with Canwest say that they are told by "the people upstairs" to sensationalize everything.

take a look at the inukshuk logo for example. Canwest owns the two newspapers in the city plus the dominant news station, thus 80% of the local media market....they were streaming a lot of negativity on the logo.

No kidding here. Even though I do not mind some of its news coverage, what they had to say about the unveiling of the 2010 mascots went far "to the dark side." When it started that clip, the commentator commented that the RCMP could be mistaken for the mascots, with all that hardware they were carrying for the event. Evidently, there were TWO versions of commentary of the same clip and, given what happened at the Vancouver International Airport recently, that comment about the RCMP turned me off.

I'm a little surprised by the passively racist comments being made on the CBC site. :o

First, it was the way the Vancouver 2010 presentation went at the Torino 2006 closing ceremony. Then, I read those comments at the CBC web site and I was aghast by the way some people portrayed them. Could the same thing happen again, when VANOC reveals the Olympic torch for the Games?

Quatchi will no doubt be the biggest hit of them all. He's a young Sasquatch from the BC Interior. He loves hockey and about 50% than his 2 friends.

I usually find Olympic mascots boring or odious. And perhaps it's because I live here in BC and am knowledgeable about parts of our history that make these 3 resonate strongly with me.

But they're adorable regardless, eh?

Quatchi will no doubt be the biggest hit of them all. He's a young Sasquatch from the BC Interior. He loves hockey and about 50% than his 2 friends.

And the people of Creston are hearing the cashiers going ka-ching, ka-ching because more people are going to be drinking Kokanee. :lol:

I don't think they are that bad, but I think they could have done better.

Three mythical creature and not one real one.

I am not crazy about the animation, but I think they work better in 3-D. I'll have to see some of the colorpages first to make a decision. My 3 and 4 year olds were not taken by the animation we saw on You Tube.

I liked the Greek and Italian mascots. One of our Greek resturants have the greek ones for the kids to play with. We love them.

This had me wondering:

QuatchiSnowboarding.jpg

Could Kokanee (Labatts) demand royalties for this? Remember Kokanee's "Snowboarding Sasquatch" commercials? Could this be copyright infringement? Even though in the papers it said VANOC checked with Labatts, this could be something that Labatt overlooked and failed to notice.

Could Kokanee (Labatts) demand royalties for this? Remember Kokanee's "Snowboarding Sasquatch" commercials? Could this be copyright infringement? Even though in the papers it said VANOC checked with Labatts, this could be something that Labatt overlooked and failed to notice.

Then they would've gotten clearance from Labatt. Now, Labatt wouldn't have any rights to Snowboarding. That is a common activity -- and if any Olympic mascots are shown doing this, then they are fully w/in their rights.

With all their money, cooperation from the mother-ship, the IOC, and legal honchos on their team, they've got the IP (intellectual property) drill down to a science.

I don't think VANOC has to worry about the sasquatch as a trademark because it is something from the common domain. If they called it Mel the Sasquatch and made it look like the Kokanee mascot, then there'd be an issue, but the two are of completely different designs and even attitudes. Quatchi seems young and kind of dumb whereas the Kokanee mascot out smarts the humans every time.

Regarding Miga, I'm wondering if Meomi Design plagiarized this character featured on an Asian drink:

qoo.gif

Similar eye and mouth design as well as a fin on its head. I've seen another picture and the qoo cat only has the one ear or fin on its head.