Fifa Drops Cup Rotation From 2018

Well, that's obviously their weakness, but they have definitely announced they'll bid. Actually, I'm not against such a joint bid in that case, it's probably the only way a football powerhouse like Holland could ever host.

But outside of Bruxelles, what other Belgian cities can do it? OK, Antwerp. Ghent? Bruges?

I mean: Amsterdam, Brussels, Rotterdam, Da Hague, Eindhoven? Haarlem? When there were 24 items, a joint Belgian-Dutch bid might've done it; but not with 32.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But outside of Bruxelles, what other Belgian cities can do it? OK, Antwerp. Ghent? Bruges?

I mean: Amsterdam, Brussels, Rotterdam, Da Hague, Eindhoven? Haarlem? When there were 24 items, a joint Belgian-Dutch bid might've done it; but not with 32.

Oh, I agree, it's going to be an interesting task for the Beneluxers to convince FIFA, but I'm sure they'll have a workable plan. But, of course, they're going to be on the back foot against such single country bids as the US, England, Oz, China and Russia.

Actually, Australia today has reiterated its intention to bid for 2018. Personally, I'll support it all the way, but I don;'t like our chances _ it's not like Australia has much sway in the corridors of FIFA. We'd probably be better off focussing more on the 2020s.

Oh, I agree, it's going to be an interesting task for the Beneluxers to convince FIFA, but I'm sure they'll have a workable plan. But, of course, they're going to be on the back foot against such single country bids as the US, England, Oz, China and Russia.

Actually, Australia today has reiterated its intention to bid for 2018. Personally, I'll support it all the way, but I don;'t like our chances _ it's not like Australia has much sway in the corridors of FIFA. We'd probably be better off focussing more on the 2020s.

Considering about the "back door" scenario that the only G8 countries that hasn't hosted the Men's World Cup are Canada and Russia so far.

About the race, 2018 will certainly be very exciting. Australia and England seem for me the leaders at this moment, but China, the US and Russia will be very good competitors. My favorite is England but I also like the idea of "new frontiers" and not a 2nd-time host (after Germany 2006 and Brazil 2014)... so I would be happy with Australia, Russia or the Benelux winning. US seems to me very short time after 1994 and 2022 could probably be a better time... and China... I'm not really confident with them and it seems to soon after KJ 2002.

BTW... about a Benelux bid... maybe Luxembourg could be a good host city. :D And it could be their only chances of participate in a WC finals... after all, they are the longest team without qualifying.

BTW... about a Benelux bid... maybe Luxembourg could be a good host city. :D And it could be their only chances of participate in a WC finals... after all, they are the longest team without qualifying.

LOL _ I don't know if they are even included in the bid. But what do you call Benelux without the "lux"?

LOL _ I don't know if they are even included in the bid. But what do you call Benelux without the "lux"?

"Netherlands/Belgium", just like for the EURO 2000.

I think that an inclusion of Luxembourg is senseless. Their biggest stadium, the Josy Barthel of Luxembourg City, has only 8,000 seats. So there seems to be absolutely no need for stadia of World Cup (or even EURO) sizes in that small country.

Regarding a Netherlands/Belgium bid: I believe that the World Cup has grown to sizes that it's even too big for a combined bid of those two smaller countries. The EURO in 2000 worked perfectly but I think one should keep it there.

However, they could use all EURO stadia for their World Cup bid again: The Amsterdam Arena, Arnhem's Gelredome, Bruges' Jan Breydel, Brussels' King Baudouin, Charleroi's Pays de Charleroi, Eindhoven's Philips, Liege's Maurice Dufrasne and Rotterdam's De Kuip. And then they could certainly find two additional stadia to match FIFA's requirement of ten: For example, they could build a new stadium in Maastricht (or use the one of the nearby German city of Aachen :P) and they could use the Constant Vanden Stock (formerly Parc Astrid) in Brussels.

The only problem is that practically every of those stadia would need expansion: The smaller arenas to at least 40,000 seats and the main venues (Amsterdam, Brussels, Rotterdam) to 60,000+. Currently none of the mentioned stadia seats more than 51,000.

Well, here's a posssible bid from left of field _ I don't like it's chances, though:

TOKYO, Oct 30, 2007 (AFP) - Japan will consider bidding for the 2018 football World Cup having co-hosted the 2002 tournament with South Korea, according to Japan Football Association president Saburo Kawabuchi.

The world football governing body FIFA said Monday it would drop its policy -- starting with 2018 -- of rotating the World Cup among the six continents.

But it still said that no country would be able to bid if either of the two preceding World Cups were held in its continent.

``As it will be possible for Japan to bid for the (2018) World Cup, we'd like to hold discussions with the parties concerned to seek our direction on the matter,'' Kawabuchi told Japanese reporters Monday, according to sports dailies.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said in Zurich Monday that England, China, Australia, the United States and Mexico are already interested in hosting the 2018 World Cup, according to Kyodo News.

The Netherlands and Belgium want to submit a joint bid, he added.

In 2005, the Japan Football Association launched an ambitious long-term plan to host another World Cup and win it by 2050.

The FIFA executive committee has also decided that Japan would host the Club World Cup in 2008 again after staging it in 2005, 2006 and 2007. But the 2009 and 2010 competitions will be open to bidding.

The Club World Cup was established in 2005 as a revamped version of the Club World Championship, which was held just once in 2000 with the best clubs from all continents.

If any of the European countries can get most of Europe backing them as Germany did for 2006 then they'd have to be massive favourites. At this very early stage it looks like England may have Germany's backing, though of course it's far too early to tell anything:

England's bid to host the World Cup in 2018 already has the important support of Germany, with a ladies' and gentlemen's verbal agreement that took place at Wembley last August before the friendly between the two countries.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, in the presence of PM Gordon Brown, German football chief Dr Theo Zwanziger and the British Government's 2018 envoy Richard Caborn, asked Germany's FIFA committee representative, Franz 'Kaiser' Beckenbauer, if his country would be backing England for the 2018 bid. The Kaiser gave an unequivocal yes.

And yesterday, speaking at a FIFA summit in Zurich, Beckenbauer added: "England, with their wonderful facilities, could put on the World Cup tomorrow if needed. But they were undone by the politics in 2006."

Germany's endorsement at the highest level and Beckenbauer's political reference are hugely significant as England never had a chance in 2006 because all eight UEFA representatives on the 24-strong FIFA voting executive committee were in Germany's camp.

This followed the belief that a gentlemen's agreement was in place between football officials that England, in return for Germany's support for Euro 96, would give them a clear run in 2006.

Support from the UEFA eight is vital for England's 2018 chances, and Beckenbauer's backing is the best starting point.

Every European nation will be looking to shut-out their continental rivals in the same way. Then all they'll have to worry about is China, Australia, the USA etc. :o

We all know that it's become the right of the developed world to host the games whenever it chooses to that but, that's not in cognisance with the rules that govern the game. To me European countries have had more than enough of hostings. I think FIFA should think well before halting the rotation system just like that.

Am still asking for the rotaion to continue for some time so that the developing countries can wake up to developing their football in an advanced way. This was supposed to be a very good side of the rotation concept in the whole besides the technical ones.

James, if rotation continued the USA would almost certainly be hosting 2018. All halting rotation does is prevent the most powerful nation in the world being handed the world cup on a plate without any competition. This decision has nothing to do with developed nations forcing their will on developing ones.

I still think a good rule of thumb would be for every third world cup to be in Europe.

The English Football Association (FA) has confirmed it will bid for the 2018 World Cup. I would consider them the early favourites, slightly ahead of Russia and the U.S. (Should they bid)

Personally, the Dutch/Belgian bid is dead in the water. I don't see Fifa giving the cup to a joint candidacy anytime soon. Also, Belgium has a lack of world class International stadiums. They can't bid with Holland and expect the Dutch to hold 75% of the games - that would make the candidacy stupid.

England, Russia or the U.S. are my picks.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if FIFA chose Russia - the organization may decide that it has many similarities with the guys in the Kremlin.

That's unfair. There's no way Japan should even be considered, they've had their time. Netherlands/Belgium will put together a decent package and should be taken seriously.

I agree with you Rob, on the Japan front anyway. It's a ridiculous candidacy, and FIFA should not allow the Japanese to waste their money.

I really would love to see my country winning a world cup bid for 2018 - but I don't see it happening. Fifa is not interested in small countries, joint candidacies and the like.

With the rotation coming to an end, I believe they want big footballing powers to bid for 2018, ruling out Belgium.

I would be very confident in a bid from your nation. England 2018 will indeed be formidable.

I didn't necessarily say they'd have a very good chance (NED/BEL), just that they'll put together a good technical bid and should be taken seriously. They are an option. Japan isn't, or at least it oughtn't be.

England has a very good chance, but so do China and Russia and to a lesser extent, Australia and the USA. It'll be a great race, and I look forward to seeing everyone's proposals.

I agree with you Rob, on the Japan front anyway. It's a ridiculous candidacy, and FIFA should not allow the Japanese to waste their money.

I really would love to see my country winning a world cup bid for 2018 - but I don't see it happening. Fifa is not interested in small countries, joint candidacies and the like.

With the rotation coming to an end, I believe they want big footballing powers to bid for 2018, ruling out Belgium.

I would be very confident in a bid from your nation. England 2018 will indeed be formidable.

Are you saying Japan is a small country!? Is it FIFA that decides the candidacy of any country putting in for a bid? If not what rediculous about Japan putting in fo FIFA? Cos it hosted with Korea?

Are you saying Japan is a small country!? Is it FIFA that decides the candidacy of any country putting in for a bid? If not what rediculous about Japan putting in fo FIFA? Cos it hosted with Korea?

That was one of the worst football world cup's that I can remember.

Im not saying Japan is small, Im saying it was a mistake for them to have hosted.

How about a joint US-UK bid? :lol:

Two giants in a game host is somehow. I would like cos it's a new concept. Can FIFA introduce this? Then the profit for FIFA would be enormous! FIFA business oriented game body.

That was one of the worst football world cup's that I can remember.

Im not saying Japan is small, Im saying it was a mistake for them to have hosted.

Mistakes were certainly made, the most obvious being the building of far too many shiny new stadia. But I don't believe going to the Far East itself was a mistake.

Archived