Fifa Corruption

Rob2012

I know this was mentioned in the England 2018 thread, but the accusations levelled at FIFA by Panorma were pretty serious so I've started this thread.

A football chief has revealed how a Fifa Vice President asked him to pay Football Association cash into his own bank account.

Former chairman of the Scottish FA, John McBeth, said top Fifa executive Jack Warner asked him to make the match fee cheque payable to him personally.

It is one of a series of suspect dealings involving Fifa revealed in tonight's Panorama which asks why Fifa's Ethics Committee - run by Sebastian Coe - is not taking action.

McBeth first expressed concerns about corruption in Fifa after being chosen to fill Britain's post on the FIFA Executive Committee in May this year.

He pointed the finger at football officials in Africa and the Caribbean - but was dropped just days before starting his new job amid accusations of bigotry and racism from Vice President Warner.

Race accusation

However, he is adamant that this was merely a smokescreen - and that he was sailing far too close to the truth for some Fifa members.

"There are one or two people on that executive committee that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw," he said.

"I was talking about the football people that I've met and dealt with in Africa and the Caribbean.

"It was football people I was talking about. I wasn't talking about the nation.

"I'm not a racist bigot and I think it probably says more about Jack and him trying to deflect away the criticism that I was making of corruption."

McBeth reveals for the first time how Mr Warner, who represents Fifa in North and Central America and the Caribbean, had asked him to pay a match fee directly into his personal account.

He said: "Trinidad and Tobago came to play Scotland at Hibernian's ground in Easter Road in Edinburgh. And after the game he asked me to make a cheque out to his personal account for the game.

"And I said 'We don't do that, it should go to the association'.

"I then found out later that he'd approached several other staff in my organisation - to do exactly the same thing."

Warner has also previously been found guilty by Fifa's Ethics Committee of touting thousands of World Cup tickets through his family travel company in Trinidad.

Yet he escaped with nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Sponsorship deal

The Panorama investigation has also found that some of FIFA's actions in relation to a sponsorship deal amounted to criminal activity, punishable by up to five years in prison in Fifa's home nation, Switzerland.

Fifa attempted to dump its sponsor MasterCard and replace it with Visa, contrary to a long-standing agreement, and was taken to court in New York by MasterCard, where the judge condemned its actions.

The man who led Fifa's marketing team Jerome Valcke admitted lying to both MasterCard and to Visa.

The prosecution told the court: "Disraeli once said there were three kinds of lies - lies, darned lies and statistics.

"We have learned from the Fifa Marketing Group that there are more.

"We have learned about the six degrees of prevarication, white lies, commercial lies, bluffs, pure lies, straight untruths and perjury.

"Mr Valcke even lied when testifying about his lies. But in Fifa's world that's OK."

And the Judge agreed: "Mr Valcke and his team's dealings with Fifa's long-standing partner MasterCard constitutes the opposite of "fair play" and violates FIFA's own requirement that 'its negotiators deal honourably with its business partners'.

"FIFA's marketing director lied to both MasterCard, Fifa's long-time partner, and to Visa, its negotiating counterparty to both of which Fifa under Swiss law owed a duty of good faith."

Fifa swiftly announced that it had "parted company" with Valcke.

Ethics Committee

It then emerged that someone at Fifa had falsified documents in the case - a crime punishable under Swiss law by a sentence of up to five years in jail.

Yet, despite his involvement in the case, Valcke has since been allowed to return to Fifa and is now General Secretary - the second most powerful position in world football.

Panorama asked Lord Coe why the ethics committee was not looking into these issues.

He declined to answer or give any details of his job, referring all queries to Fifa itself, the body whose members he is supposed to be monitoring.

Fifa Ex-co members Jack Warner and Jerome Valcke have also declined to comment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/7056420.stm

Watching it, you couldn't help but feel:

1. McBeth was very hard done by. He could have chosen his words more carefully but I've no doubt after seeing the programme his intentions were entirely honourable and he is neither a racist nor a bigot. FIFA knew he would expose their antics if he got the post and they spun his words out of all recognition until the four home nations caved in and replaced him with Geoff Thomson.

2. Jack Warner (he of "England have done nothing for world football" fame) should not be in FIFA and should probably be in jail or at the very least a padded-room. When asked about the ticketing allegations and his wish for matchday proceeds to go into his personal account he spat in the face of the BBC investigaor. Furthermore, T&T players believe he has illegally pocketed money that should have been shared between players after their excellent world cup last year.

3. FIFA is rotten to the core. Sepp Blatter only won his presidency in 1998 because of rigged votes. A lot of money and favours happened in the lead up to the 2006 WC host decision. And, as the article states, someone who lied in court and lost their job within FIFA (Jerome Valcke) was later made General Secretary - the second most powerful position in world football!

4. The ethics committee are either toothless, blind to what is going on, or unwilling (for whatever reason) to do their job properly.

5. You'd have to be naive or very trustworthy to believe the 2018 decision will be completely fair unless there's a radical overhaul in the way FIFA conducts itself in the next few years.

Rob, didn't the BBC show "Panorama" had a documentary about this topic some time ago?

It was about a week ago, I only caught the repeat a couple of days ago. Brits on here should try to see it (download the BBC iplayer if you haven't already and get it from there).

You may remember the same programme exposed a Bulgarian IOC member (I forget his name) back in 2004 for accepting bribes.

Honestly, are any of your surprised? It is a bureaucratic, back-door operation just like every other sports federation. They are all ripe with corruption and misdeeds.

No, Faster, I'm not really surprised. But that doesn't make it any more acceptable. What I am surprised at is the scale of the corruption.

I just don't see what Seb Coe is doing in this mess.

Who knows. Since he wouldn't grant an interview it's very difficult to tell. In some ways I think he's got a hellava lot to deal with: he is the chairman of London 2012, Vice President of the IAAF and head of FIFA's ethics comititee. I get the impression, with the level of corruption that is evident in FIFA, that it would be better to get someone in whose only focus would be that job.

How about in the london logo ?

Could you be more irrelevent Tanaka?

Uhm... I heard the selection process for London 2012 logo is a little suspicious, LOCOG just choose the wolff olin logo without seeing another logo, and after that they just pay for that 80's logo 400.000 pounds.. ;)

Who knows. Since he wouldn't grant an interview it's very difficult to tell. In some ways I think he's got a hellava lot to deal with: he is the chairman of London 2012, Vice President of the IAAF and head of FIFA's ethics comititee. I get the impression, with the level of corruption that is evident in FIFA, that it would be better to get someone in whose only focus would be that job.

My thoughts precisely...

It was about a week ago, I only caught the repeat a couple of days ago. Brits on here should try to see it (download the BBC iplayer if you haven't already and get it from there).

You may remember the same programme exposed a Bulgarian IOC member (I forget his name) back in 2004 for accepting bribes.

No, Faster, I'm not really surprised. But that doesn't make it any more acceptable. What I am surprised at is the scale of the corruption.

Its not acceptable, but without accountability this is always going to corruption. FIFA officials are accountable to no one, they are patronage positions and seem to have little to do with merit or footballing knowledge. There is an obvious person that could head FIFA and try to clean it up, just like there was for the IOC in 2001, but, will FIFA accept what the IOC wouldn't, someone that would challenge and try to change things.

Who are you referring to?

Dick Pound,maybe?? :mellow:

Incidentally,I also don't understand what a FIFA corruption probe has got to do with Seb Coe either?? :huh:

Coe has more than enough on his hands with LOCOG.What connection does he have with Football's governing body?

Do you think it might have been a misprint??

Do you think it might have been a misprint??

Nope, Coe is the head of FIFA's ethics committee. He is the man that should be dealing with these things:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/b...ee=1882034.html

------

Coe has more than enough on his hands with LOCOG.

As it happens I agree with you though, which is why I said:

In some ways I think he's got a hellava lot to deal with: he is the chairman of London 2012, Vice President of the IAAF and head of FIFA's ethics comititee. I get the impression, with the level of corruption that is evident in FIFA, that it would be better to get someone in whose only focus would be that job.

Nope, Coe is the head of FIFA's ethics committee. He is the man that should be dealing with these things:

Thanks,I had no idea.Do you know when was he appointed to this post ?

As it happens I agree with you though, which is why I said:

In some ways I think he's got a hellava lot to deal with: he is the chairman of London 2012, Vice President of the IAAF and head of FIFA's ethics comititee. I get the impression, with the level of corruption that is evident in FIFA, that it would be better to get someone in whose only focus would be that job.

Yep,to many irons in the fire for my liking.I don't want any lengthy investigations into FIFA taking time away from his duties to LOCOG.The latter must be his priority at all times! I'm sure he understands this.I think it would be better if he stepped down from this position and am a little surprised he didn't do so when he was appointed Chairman of London 2012 (presuming he was already in this post at the time. I'd be even more surprised if he took the post afterwards!!).

He took it afterwards, along with the vice presidency of the IAAF.

Thanks.In that case,I'm even more surprised.I can only repeat that his duties to LOCOG cannot take a back seat to any ongoing FIFA corruption enquiries.I'm sure he appreciates this and will act accordingly!

Good call though I'd imagine if he has his eye on the top job he may not want to ruffle too many feathers by talking too much about cleaning up corruption.

Also being from one of the big footballing nations having the top job. Usually major sporting heads come from non-important nations, hence the Swiss Blatter.

I think there needs to be a new framework of power in many sports organizations. I think the fact that the presidents sit for so long is becoming a huge problem and it is hard to remove them unless they step down. Blatter has been incompetent leader since 1998, its now 2007 and there is no sign of him leaving.

FIFA should have a board of govenors with Argentina, Brazil, the USA, England, Spain, France, Germany and Italy having permanent seats, 2 seats for Africa and Asia, 1 seat for Ocean and CONCACAF and 1 additional seat for South America and Europe. One 16 member board of govenors that have a rotating 2-year presidency between each of the regions, therefore the board has more power than the president. Also get ride of the other groups and having everything go through the board. Govern it like the IRB governs.

6 European members

3 South American members

2 Members each from CONCACAF, Africa and Asia

1 Member from Oceania

Every 12 years cycle each region would hold the presidency.

I think there needs to be a new framework of power in many sports organizations. I think the fact that the presidents sit for so long is becoming a huge problem and it is hard to remove them unless they step down. Blatter has been incompetent leader since 1998, its now 2007 and there is no sign of him leaving.

FIFA should have a board of govenors with Argentina, Brazil, the USA, England, Spain, France, Germany and Italy having permanent seats, 2 seats for Africa and Asia, 1 seat for Ocean and CONCACAF and 1 additional seat for South America and Europe. One 16 member board of govenors that have a rotating 2-year presidency between each of the regions, therefore the board has more power than the president. Also get ride of the other groups and having everything go through the board. Govern it like the IRB governs.

6 European members

3 South American members

2 Members each from CONCACAF, Africa and Asia

1 Member from Oceania

Every 12 years cycle each region would hold the presidency.

Why the USA ?? there is Mexico for representing North America, or even Uruguay as they ever won the WC. I Don't see any reason for USA sit on the board ...

Why the USA ?? there is Mexico for representing North America, or even Uruguay as they ever won the WC. I Don't see any reason for USA sit on the board ...

Uruguay is in South Africa for one thing and two, the USA has a lot of money and if both spots for CONCACAF were elected within the region, the US would never sit on the board.

Hmm.... If youu said about money, there is China, if you said about achievement there is a lot of candidate before the USA, if you want a representation from concacaf i prefer mexico, hmm I think enough for USA to get all things in this world, USA can get into board for another sport like basketball, baseball, ice hockey, boxing, american football etc, not for soccer, at least not at this time

Archived